Recently heard about LENOVO buying handsets from Google....

How about lenovo applying BlackBerry 10 OS on it....

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:31 PM
    I'm thinking that BlackBerry won't shoot it down if they wanted to do that. John did say that he is open to licensing the OS to the ones that are willing to

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:42 PM
    I'm thinking that BlackBerry won't shoot it down if they wanted to do that. John did say that he is open to licensing the OS to the ones that are willing to

Posted via CB10
    I don't mind BB10 on Lenovo hardware. And Lenovo can take care of the marketing as well.
    toneytone likes this.
    01-31-14 07:06 PM
    Lenovo wouldn't have bothered to pay $3B for Motorola if they were going to make BB10 phones. They could have licensed BB10 for a TINY fraction of that, and spent the rest of the money on manufacturing infrastructure (or just contracted them out like BB has always done).

Don't hold your breath waiting for BB10 on a non-BB device...
    garnok, JeepBB, schmeat and 1 others like this.
    01-31-14 07:12 PM
    Lenovo wouldn't have bothered to pay $3B for Motorola if they were going to make BB10 phones. They could have licensed BB10 for a TINY fraction of that, and spent the rest of the money on manufacturing infrastructure (or just contracted them out like BB has always done).

Don't hold your breath waiting for BB10 on a non-BB device...
    Lenovo bought Motorola simply for the brand name so that their foray into the North American market can be easier. Now I don't think they'll be running BB10 but the recent purchase has nothing to do with it.
    02-01-14 11:07 AM
    The point is, the Moto name isn't going to help them sell BB10 phones, so if they had any intention of using BB10, the Moto purchase would have been pointless.
    02-01-14 01:22 PM
    Correct me, but isn't BB10 a software? Do you think the average consumers will care what OS Levono is running, assuming it markets the phones properly ? Levono need not call their phones "BlackBerry " phone, if it hypothetically uses the bb10 software.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:26 PM
    Correct me, but isn't BB10 a software? Do you think the average consumers will care what OS Levono is running, assuming it markets the phones properly ? Levono need not call their phones "BlackBerry " phone, if it hypothetically uses the bb10 software.

Posted via CB10
    If consumers didn't care what OS Lenovo was using, why would it use BB10? Android is free, more scalable, and open source.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-01-14 02:36 PM
    It's unlikely to be BB10 unless BlackBerry gets some serious traction in the enterprise. Lenovo makes both Windows 8 and Android products.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:54 PM
    I don't mind BB10 on Lenovo hardware. And Lenovo can take care of the marketing as well.
    BlackBerry needs to license out the OS to at least one major player. We all know that people just needs to experience the latest version of OS10 and know that it excise.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry needs to license out the OS to at least one major player. We all know that people just needs to experience the latest version of OS10 and know that it excise.

Posted via CB10
    They just did.... to FoxConn.
    Gunner24 likes this.
    02-01-14 04:52 PM
    They just did.... to FoxConn.
    Not at all. They outsourced the hardware design, manufacture, and distribution of their entry-level BB10 device line to Foxconn. Those devices will be sold under the BlackBerry label, and BB will be making the software builds for it.

When Foxconn makes phone under their own brand (Foxconn or some other brand they own) with BB10 on it, THEN you can say that BB licensed out the BB10 OS.
    02-01-14 07:49 PM
    Not at all. They outsourced the hardware design, manufacture, and distribution of their entry-level BB10 device line to Foxconn. Those devices will be sold under the BlackBerry label, and BB will be making the software builds for it.

When Foxconn makes phone under their own brand (Foxconn or some other brand they own) with BB10 on it, THEN you can say that BB licensed out the BB10 OS.
    Fair enough

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 07:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    The average consumer will rely on friends, media, review sites and carrier sales representative. None of whom are going to recommend an immature OS that has almost no ecosystem. Both Side loading and installation of APK's in 10.2.1 are officially only developer tools. Maybe at some point the become official features and we get the full Android experience or maybe Google shuts down the poaching by BB10 and the other new OSs.

Operating System are plentiful, ecosystems that provide a full user experience can be counted on two fingers. Windows has potential and is buying there way into the market.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 09:03 PM
    Maybe at some point the become official features and we get the full Android experience or maybe Google shuts down the poaching by BB10 and the other new OSs.
    I've brought that point up before.

It wouldn't shock me if Google, seeing all the other platforms that are looking to poach apps out of the Play Store, came out with new requirements for apps that lock them to Google-certified devices. It could be done pretty easily (giving devs 90 days to implement the changes, say), and overnight, BB, Sailfish, Firefox, Tizen, and any other platform relying on Android apps would be shut out.

That's one of the reasons I doubt you'll ever see BB advertise the Android runtime - they can't advertise a feature that they don't have any real control over, because if it got broke, BB users who bought based on that capability would be hugely upset, and could sue (and maybe win).

It's a very dangerous game trying to feed off of a direct competitor...
    02-02-14 10:47 PM