Before you read further, please remember, that I'm not an engineer, and everything written below is just a result of my wicked fantasy (I don't even know, if it is theoretically possible). So no criticism about that please.

Now this idea is sitting in my head for quite a long time now.

Imagine, that your device (phone) have a removable mid capacity battery (2100-2300 mAh). For most users it is enough, but for many it is not. But imagine, that your phone also have a tiny non-removable backup battery, that can provide another 5-10 min of life. When the main battery dies, backup one kicks in, giving you time to open the lid, take out dead battery and plug in a fully charged one without rebooting the phone, and we all know, that boot time of BB10 devices is still terrible. To be honest, any boot time is terrible, compared to no boot time at all =)

Now I agree, that it would be better, if batteries could just last longer, but as the capacity of batteries grow, so does the power consumption of mobile devices.

Just a thought.
    04-05-14 12:22 PM
    You wouldn't need a battery, just a capacitor, to store that energy. It's possible, but just not important enough to enough people to justify the cost in materials or in interior space in the phone.

A great many things that are possible aren't practical. This is one of them.
    04-05-14 12:30 PM
    What they could do is split the existing battery in half and make each half removable independently with the other half continuing to run the phone.

04-05-14 12:34 PM
    You wouldn't need a battery, just a capacitor, to store that energy. It's possible, but just not important enough to enough people to justify the cost in materials or in interior space in the phone.
    I thought about that, but the capacitor would be too big to fit in the phone.
    04-05-14 12:35 PM
    I had 2 batteries and external charger for my 9670, not having to go through the reboot would have been nice.
    04-05-14 12:43 PM