BlackBerry Ltd launched a low-cost touchscreen device in Jakarta, the Z3, as the embattled smartphone maker looks to revive sales in emerging markets like Indonesia where its once-fervent following has shriveled.

The handset, unveiled at a glitzy launch event in the Indonesian capital on Tuesday, is the first in a line of devices being made with FIH Mobile Ltd, a unit of the giant Taiwanese Foxconn Technology Group best known for assembling gadgets like iPhones and iPads for Apple Inc.

The success of the handset retailing for less than $200 could well decide the outcome of both BlackBerry's tie-up with the contract manufacturing giant and its own future in smartphones. The Z3 Jakarta Edition will hit store shelves on May 15.

"If this device allows them to grow again, even if it's just small, steady growth, that's a success in itself. That says there is still room for BlackBerry in Indonesia," said Ryan Lai, market analyst at consultancy IDC.
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bl...6--sector.html
    schmeat likes this.
    05-13-14 06:06 PM
    nice share!
    gng11 likes this.
    05-13-14 06:09 PM
    Motorola has their new budget phone selling 129 only coming out in couple months just want to let BlackBerry knows...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 10:17 PM
    But it's 4.3 inches persons will see a bigger phone and feel the price is justified.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 11:12 PM
    4.3 is big enough for me. don't think Samsung would get away with the 6+". Anyway hope BlackBerry Z3 sells at home too and dispels all doubt.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 12:58 AM
    Motorola has their new budget phone selling 129 only coming out in couple months just want to let BlackBerry knows...

Posted via CB10
    Its already available in India via FlipKart, launching into the UK and other countries next week.

Hope BB gets its game face on cause competition is going to be fierce.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-14-14 02:22 AM
    To be honest from the unboxing video by BlackBerry themselves the z3 didn't feel as snappy as the previous BlackBerry 10 devices.. I was so sure about its success but I'm kinda in doubt now.. you can see it stuttering when minimizing the apps.. hope that's not the case..

You know frame rate drops are the most irritating thing for any device with a screen..
    Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-14-14 02:34 AM
    Updated article with video of Indonesia launch (and John Chen!):

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bl...6--sector.html
    05-14-14 01:49 PM
    I think the Z3 will appeal to people that want a full BBM experience.

It's not going to be the cheapest device. It's not going to have the best specs. It's not going to provided a true BBOS BlackBerry experience. But it will do BBM better than Android, and at half the price of the Z10 in that market - we will see if that is enough.
    05-14-14 02:17 PM
    I think the Z3 will appeal to people that want a full BBM experience.

It's not going to be the cheapest device. It's not going to have the best specs. It's not going to provided a true BBOS BlackBerry experience. But it will do BBM better than Android, and at half the price of the Z10 in that market - we will see if that is enough.
    Buyers won't know ahead of time that the BBM experience is subpar to what they've gotten used to on legacy devices. The disappointment comes later but hopefully most won't return the device.
    05-14-14 05:11 PM