01-05-13 05:57 PM
117 1234 ...
tools
    so its a fancy name for a proximity sensor then.
    Unless it's software that answers your phone as soon as you bring it to your face. *Shrugs*
    09-28-12 09:46 AM
    Aloha Laguna!
    09-28-12 10:04 AM
    If the hardware supports BT 4.0, then I imagine it's just that initially it may be 2.1, or at this point it is at that level software-wise. Nokia 920 just got certified to 4.0, right? I think an earlier version was listed in specs, so it could be something similar. PlayBook uses 2.1 I think, so hopefully in current versions of BB10 it is newer and they simply need to get certified.
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-28-12 10:08 AM
    2 things that stand out:

1) the MSM8960 is a 'plus' version of the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4. The model number of the 'pro' version is MSM8960T. The only difference is that the plus version GPU runs on Adreno 225 while the Pro version utilizes Adreno 320. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

2) at 9mm this phone is slightly thicker than the iPhone 5 which comes in at 7.6mm. Before you go and complain, I think 2mm of thickness is reasonable considering the BB10 phone will have an NFC chip, a removable battery, and a microSD slot - all three of which the iPhone 5 lacks. Not the thinnest phone but given what the BB10 packs it seems RIM has done a phenomenal job with the hardware.
    Last edited by ClassyBOLD; 09-28-12 at 12:03 PM.
    DJM626 and Cesare21 like this.
    09-28-12 11:51 AM
    If the hardware supports BT 4.0, then I imagine it's just that initially it may be 2.1, or at this point it is at that level software-wise. Nokia 920 just got certified to 4.0, right? I think an earlier version was listed in specs, so it could be something similar. PlayBook uses 2.1 I think, so hopefully in current versions of BB10 it is newer and they simply need to get certified.
    Yes, it seems initially BB10 will launch with 2.1. But the hardware definitely supports 4.0 and RIM has indirectly confirmed that 4.0 will (eventually) make it to BB10. The dev tools support Low energy profile which is only available for 4.0, so it's definitely on their roadmap.
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-28-12 11:54 AM
    I don't care about thin. Phones are getting good too thin and too light for me. If. 2mm is a deal breaker for some, oh well.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-28-12 11:57 AM
    I don't care about thin. Phones are getting good too thin and too light for me. If. 2mm is a deal breaker for some, oh well.
    Like I said, 2mm should not be a dealbreaker considering what the BB10 phone packs. Based on teardowns of the iPhone it has been confirmed that Apple literally could not fit an NFC radio into the phone b/c of how thin the device. 2mm is so negligible in the hand and in the pocket. I'd rather have the horsepower of BB10 than the eye-candy of the iCrapple.
    kbz1960, bungaboy and anon(832122) like this.
    09-28-12 12:05 PM
    L-series tutorial on youtube and other sites.
    09-28-12 12:17 PM
    Maybe they need it to be compatible with the Playbook hardware. They can upgrade the software for the newer phones later.
    09-28-12 12:24 PM
    Big Red is on board? Big Blue better be joining the party..or I'm jumping ship!
    09-28-12 12:27 PM
    Yes, it seems initially BB10 will launch with 2.1. But the hardware definitely supports 4.0 and RIM has indirectly confirmed that 4.0 will (eventually) make it to BB10. The dev tools support Low energy profile which is only available for 4.0, so it's definitely on their roadmap.
    If the dev tools currently support BT 4.0, then the device will support BT 4.0 at launch. I don't know why we're assuming this "leak" is 100% accurate...
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-28-12 12:36 PM
    Wth is a Laguna now? And since when smartphones to be superphones now?
    09-28-12 01:38 PM
    It doesn't matter to you and I but when a customer walks into my T-Mobile store and asks about the new Berries. The 1st thing the sales guy will say is you dont want that, it has old hardware compared to what is out now. Makes me mad, but that is the truth we have to deal with. Hopefully the carriers will really be on board and push sales of BB10 and not let their front line employees write it off.
    The Sprint store near me told an existing BB customer that the new BB phones, OS7, can't use Facebook or Tweet. Yes, carrier support is sorely needed.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-28-12 02:17 PM
    I don't know about verizon, but on bell Superphones is a marketing term for smartphones that meet certain critera (fast processors, big screens, etc). But they're still smartphones. It's like Intel's Ultrabook term.
    09-28-12 02:40 PM
    Man I just can't wait till this things comes to verizon. I'm personally getting the nokia 920 or the HTC 8x but my gf is getting the full touch screen BB10 phone plus my mom has been wanting a smart phone with a keyboard. Granted she wants a landscape one not a portrait but my dad has a pre 3 and she likes the size of that phone so hopefully it's a nice sized phone with a non cramped keyboard. But I'm just excitted that I might have found a phone for my mom to. Oh and I'm not one to offer android.
    09-28-12 03:49 PM
    I take all this with a grain of salt. I would be very surprised to see these devices launch with bluetooth 2.1 considering that even the PlayBook is up to bluetooth 3.0 or 3.1. I've read that even the PlayBooks processor is capable of bluetooth 4.0 but that stacks hadn't been written yet. Bluetooth 4.0 will be there upon launch imo

Only thing that disappoints me is the 1 Gb of RAM if it turns out to be true. Not a deal breaker by any means but if that is the case, I seriously hope RIM has optimized the crap out of this OS. Look forward to see the true specs
    09-28-12 04:32 PM
    I'd rather have the horsepower of BB10 than the eye-candy of the iCrapple.
    ...ignoring the fact that the A6 in the iPhone 5 totally trounces the MSM8960 S4.

As long as RIM manages to fit an adequate battery in the phones, i'm sold. Can't wait to get rid of this 9900 and move to the next level.
    09-28-12 05:11 PM
    ...ignoring the fact that the A6 in the iPhone 5 totally trounces the MSM8960 S4.

As long as RIM manages to fit an adequate battery in the phones, i'm sold. Can't wait to get rid of this 9900 and move to the next level.
    Have any charts on that? I'd like to see the comparison.
    drjay868 and bungaboy like this.
    09-28-12 05:49 PM
    I take all this with a grain of salt. I would be very surprised to see these devices launch with bluetooth 2.1 considering that even the PlayBook is up to bluetooth 3.0 or 3.1. I've read that even the PlayBooks processor is capable of bluetooth 4.0 but that stacks hadn't been written yet. Bluetooth 4.0 will be there upon launch imo

Only thing that disappoints me is the 1 Gb of RAM if it turns out to be true. Not a deal breaker by any means but if that is the case, I seriously hope RIM has optimized the crap out of this OS. Look forward to see the true specs
    Currently BB10 on Dev Alpha when loaded has approx 179MB in memory but can't say if that would be the case on the final product but I am optimistic they wold optimize it to the max extent since they planned to bring BB10 on to the 2013 Curves.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 09-28-12 at 06:44 PM.
    Rello likes this.
    09-28-12 06:04 PM
    Has it been confirmed what Face Detect is or is it a guess at this point? My guess would be that when you put the phone to your face it answers the call.
    Last edited by eKafara; 09-28-12 at 10:51 PM.
    jigm likes this.
    09-28-12 06:19 PM
    I'm guessing Laguna is the CDMA variant of the London - which I'm assuming they're for Verizon, Sprint and other CDMA carriers.

The L-Series:
    CDMA + LTE = Laguna
    GSM//HSPA + LTE = London
    09-28-12 08:59 PM
    Im so Happy That New BB10 Devices Will be Powered W Snapdragon Processors
    09-28-12 09:26 PM
    With email not using BIS I wonder if we loose our Blackberry.com email address.

Tim
    09-28-12 09:55 PM

I wouldn't say "totally trounces"....

Apple's iPhone 5 Chip Design Seriously Impresses - Is The Competition Asleep? - Seeking Alpha

"Qualcomm is fine because its dual-core Snapdragon S4, within a similar power envelope to the Apple A6, is able to keep up with the A6 on the CPU side (and the quad-core iteration in a similar power envelope will be significantly faster). The higher-end Snapdragon S4 Pro is faster than the Apple A6 on the CPU front and competitive on the graphics front."

This is all still assuming this info from the leak is correct. Rumor had it that it would be the S4 Pro. We'll know soon enough
    09-28-12 11:33 PM
    Currently BB10 on Dev Alpha when loaded has approx 179MB in memory but can't say if that would be the case on the final product but I am optimistic they wold optimize it to the max extent since they planned to bring BB10 on to the 2013 Curves.
    Hmmmm.....179MB left of RAM or the OS takes up only 179MB of RAM out of 1GB??? Sweet baby jesus I hope u meant the latter lol. If so, that should be good enough. I'd still LOVE to see 2GB or even 1.5GB of RAM but now that they are using native code instead of AIR to code all these applications, it should help a lot with the RAM consumption. If they got the OS down to taking up only 179MB of RAM, that's much better than on the PlayBook where u lose half your RAM just turning it on lol
    00stryder likes this.
    09-28-12 11:40 PM
117 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD