I hope this is allowed! If not, I apologize. I just thought it'd be interesting to the general CrackBerry audience.

A horror novel written on an assortment of BlackBerry smartphones that was originally self-published for the Nook and Kindle has now been reissued by noted post-apocalyptic publisher Permuted Press (publisher of Z.A. Recht's The Morningstar Saga and J.L. Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon, among others). THE BECOMING is now available for purchase in paperback and eBook formats on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

After self-publishing two novellas and seeing great success in that venue, author Jessica Meigs has signed a deal with Permuted Press to publish her novella series THE BECOMING as a trilogy of horror novels, and the first novel has now been released. Drafted on a series of BlackBerry smartphone devices, including the BlackBerry Bold 9000, the Curve 8900, the Bold 9700, and the Torch 9800, THE BECOMING features a group of friends as they fight to survive a viral outbreak that turns its victims into homicidal cannibals.

Meigs is absolutely thrilled to be working with Permuted Press to bring these novels to a wider audience. "I can't think of a better publisher to help tackle the difficult task of publishing these novels," Meigs says. "It has been wonderful working with an editor and cover artist and with the publisher, and I feel like the changes we've implemented in my novel have brought it to a more professional level."

NOVEL SUMMARY:

The Michaluk Virus is loose.

In the heart of Atlanta, Georgia, the Michaluk Virus has escaped the CDC, and its effects are widespread and devastating. The virus infects nearly everyone in its path, turning much of the population of the southeastern United States into homicidal cannibals. As society rapidly crumbles under the hordes of infected, three people--Ethan Bennett, a Memphis police officer; Cade Alton, his best friend and former IDF sharpshooter; and Brandt Evans, a lieutenant in the US Marines--band together against the oncoming crush of death and terror sweeping across the world.

As Cade, Brandt, and Ethan hole up in safe houses, others begin to join them in their bid for survival. When the infected attack and they're forced to flee, one departs to Memphis in search of answers while the others escape south to Biloxi, where they encounter more danger than they bargained for. And in Memphis, the answers that one man finds are the last answers he wanted, answers that herald a horrific possibility that there may be more to this virus than first suspected.

THE BECOMING is currently available in eBook format at the Amazon Kindle Store and the Barnes & Noble NOOKbook Store. It is priced at only $7.99. The paperback format is currently available on Amazon at $14.95, and it's coming soon to Barnes & Noble. And on November 22, 2011, THE BECOMING will be launching with Audible.com as part of their newest wave of ZombieFest titles!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jessica Meigs is a twenty-six year old writer living in semi-obscurity in Demopolis, Alabama. When she is not writing, she works part time as an EMT and in the accounting office of a major retailer. She enjoys listening to music and spends way too much time building playlists for everything she writes. When she is not writing, she can be found either on Twitter @JessicaMeigs or browsing the Crackberry.com forums, where she feeds her BlackBerry addiction. THE BECOMING is her first novel.

For more information about THE BECOMING, or to direct questions and/or comments to the author, please visit The Becoming | A Zombie Horror Series by Jessica Meigs / @JessicaMeigs or contact Jessica Meigs at jessica@jessicameigs.com. To check out purchasing options and praise for The Becoming, plus to get a look at the cover, please click this link: Where to Buy | The Becoming
    Last edited by a_silent_song; 11-21-11 at 02:31 PM.
    11-21-11 02:28 PM
    Sounds interesting.

The Michaluk virus. rofl.
    11-21-11 03:05 PM
    Sounds interesting.

The Michaluk virus. rofl.
    Yeah, this is what happens when Kevin asks me publicly on a podcast if he can be in my zombie book. I turn him into a virus. :P
    11-21-11 03:10 PM
    So I thought I'd drop in and let everyone know that for those of you who prefer reading eBooks on your PlayBook, my BlackBerry-written novel is now available on Kobo! You can click here to purchase: The Becoming By Jessica Meigs - eBook - Kobo
    mithrazor and SnoozerBold like this.
    12-26-11 12:53 PM
    So it's been a while since I've been able to drop on here and post anything about my BlackBerry-written books, so I figure it's about time I did so. Mainly because there's a new release out that was written 100% on a BlackBerry 9900! It's titled THE BECOMING: BROTHERS IN ARMS, and it serves as a prequel novella that focuses on two of the main characters from THE BECOMING, which is the novel published by Permuted Press. Even better, THE BECOMING: BROTHERS IN ARMS is currently selling for only $0.99 for those of you who are reluctant to pay $7.99 for an author you haven't read yet!

If it entices you even further, THE BECOMING was named one of Barnes & Noble's Best Zombie Fiction Releases of 2011 AND one of Barnes & Noble's Best Apocalyptic Fiction Releases of 2011 by reviewer Paul Goat Allen!

Definitely for fans of The Walking Dead (and who ISN'T a fan of the Walking Dead? Except I'll be the first to say that mine is a little bit faster-paced, but that can only be a good thing, right?)!

That said, here's the synopsis for the novella:

In January 2009, the Michaluk Virus escaped from the Centers for Disease Control and decimated Atlanta, Georgia.

In February 2009, the virus had spread to the major city centers of the southeast, wreaking havoc in Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, Jackson, Biloxi, and New Orleans.

Then the virus reached Tupelo, Mississippi.

Theo and Gray Carter find themselves surrounded by chaos, death, and misery on all sides. As their worlds collapse around them, both are forced to do the unimaginable to not only ensure their survival but to protect each other from the cannibalistic infected that cross their paths.

Weaponless and alone, the two brothers quickly learn that the only thing they can count on is each other.

The Becoming: Brothers in Arms is a novella set in the Becoming universe. It can be read either before or after The Becoming, the first book in the series published November 2011 by Permuted Press. It contains no spoilers for The Becoming or its sequel The Becoming: Ground Zero, coming summer 2012 from Permuted Press.

As a special bonus, readers can preview the first two chapters of The Becoming: Ground Zero when they purchase this ebook.

Interested in purchasing it? You can grab it from Amazon and B&N for only $0.99 until March 31st!

Amazon: Amazon.com: The Becoming: Brothers in Arms eBook: Jessica Meigs: Kindle Store

B&N: BARNES & NOBLE | The Becoming: Brothers in Arms by Jessica Meigs | NOOK Book (eBook), Paperback

(I'm working on getting it up on Kobo, but it's slow going with them, unfortunately. Sad to say it likely won't be up on Kobo before the sale runs out.)

I'm really appreciative of any support you guys can lend! Let's see if we can get this sucker pushed up on some bestseller lists!
    habs_fan likes this.
    03-25-12 01:44 PM
    Why don't you launch it on App World. A lot of eBooks show-up and I bought a few.
    03-25-12 08:11 PM
    Why don't you launch it on App World. A lot of eBooks show-up and I bought a few.
    I'm honestly not sure I even know how to go about doing that. I'll put it on my list to look into, though; sadly, I wouldn't be able to get the Permuted Press-issued books on there, though. That's something the publisher decides, not me.
    03-25-12 08:35 PM
    I caught the Michaluk virus but a little penicillin cleared it all up.
    a_silent_song and BBPandy like this.
    03-25-12 08:44 PM
    I caught the Michaluk virus but a little penicillin cleared it all up.
    Yeah, I hear that Michaluk virus can be pretty nasty.
    03-25-12 08:55 PM
    This is great. I wish you all the best. I will look into buying this if i ever come across it, or it becomes available online (i dont have, or want a paypal account to purchase it directly from you)

something you may want to look into is adding both books together for just a slightly increased price because that will make it seem like people are getting two books for the price of one... instead of buying one book at a good deal and the other at regular price.

it is all about making the consumer think they are getting a great deal!
    03-25-12 10:13 PM
    This is great. I wish you all the best. I will look into buying this if i ever come across it, or it becomes available online (i dont have, or want a paypal account to purchase it directly from you)

something you may want to look into is adding both books together for just a slightly increased price because that will make it seem like people are getting two books for the price of one... instead of buying one book at a good deal and the other at regular price.

it is all about making the consumer think they are getting a great deal!

Both are currently available on Amazon & B&N; I don't sell them through my site, as I don't want the additional headache of dealing with PayPal and the fun with taxes stuff.

I personally can't link them together or put them together in any deals; I own the rights to distribute for Brothers in Arms, but Permuted Press is the one who released The Becoming, and as such, since one is self-published and the other is not, I can't combine them. Hence why I tossed that novella out there for others to read at a discounted price so they can see if my writing is something they'd be interested in, because I'm well aware a lot of readers don't want to take a $7.99 chance on a debut novelist, so I figure a cheap novella will be good for sampling purposes. And in this day and age, where a new release eBook is now costing $12.99+, I sincerely hope $7.99 and $0.99 are considered great deals (especially when the novella can be read before the more expensive novel so readers can see if it's for them ).
    03-25-12 10:21 PM
    Both are currently available on Amazon & B&N; I don't sell them through my site, as I don't want the additional headache of dealing with PayPal and the fun with taxes stuff.

I personally can't link them together or put them together in any deals; I own the rights to distribute for Brothers in Arms, but Permuted Press is the one who released The Becoming, and as such, since one is self-published and the other is not, I can't combine them. Hence why I tossed that novella out there for others to read at a discounted price so they can see if my writing is something they'd be interested in, because I'm well aware a lot of readers don't want to take a $7.99 chance on a debut novelist, so I figure a cheap novella will be good for sampling purposes. And in this day and age, where a new release eBook is now costing $12.99+, I sincerely hope $7.99 and $0.99 are considered great deals (especially when the novella can be read before the more expensive novel so readers can see if it's for them ).
    Ahhh, that makes sense. I only suggested the paypal bc it says that is an option on your website. The novella/intro at $1 is a great idea! Im not sure if i can buy them through the kindle store as I am in Canada but i will try tomorrow.

Again, goodluck!
    03-25-12 10:28 PM
    Ahhh, that makes sense. I only suggested the paypal bc it says that is an option on your website. The novella/intro at $1 is a great idea! Im not sure if i can buy them through the kindle store as I am in Canada but i will try tomorrow.

Again, goodluck!
    If it won't let you buy there, I should (hopefully) have things going on Smashwords soon, and non-US residents will be able to purchase from there easily. I know the novel is available on Smashwords already, but I haven't gotten the novella up yet, because it requires different formatting from the epub file I created for B&N and Amazon. Blasted Smashwords won't let me use the same file, sadly.
    03-25-12 10:32 PM
    ok. np. just let me know when they are both up and i will get them at once.
    im gonna sideload the kindle app onmy pb right now

EDIT: GOT IT!

I just got the novella for now and ill buy the novel from whatever site gives you the most profit.
    (let me know which that is)
    Last edited by FSeverino; 03-25-12 at 10:55 PM.
    03-25-12 10:49 PM
    Just dropping in to post a notice/pimpage for you guys who like free things.

Because I am absolutely INSANE, I decided to give away my novella The Becoming: Brothers in Arms for today and tomorrow only. It normally costs $2.99, so you should definitely grab it while you can! It can be read on a variety of BlackBerry devices using the free Kindle app (if you don't have an eReader, of course), and it is also DRM-free for those of you who'd like to download it and sideload it onto the device of your choice.

This novella is an addition to the trilogy being published by Permuted Press and can be read either before or after THE BECOMING, which is also available now (book two, THE BECOMING: GROUND ZERO, comes out in July 2012 from Permuted Press). Grab it for free while you can!

The Becoming: Brothers in Arms: Jessica Meigs: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

So ends my scheduled pimpage for the day. Have a good one! :P
    04-13-12 11:21 AM
    Shame the kindle app doesn't work for OS7 phones or I'd give it a go.
    04-13-12 11:32 AM
    Shame the kindle app doesn't work for OS7 phones or I'd give it a go.
    The Kindle app doesn't work on BB7? Well that bites. I had no idea. (Haven't tried it yet, tbh.) The novella's DRM-free, though. Maybe you could download it and convert to epub for an epub reader on BB7? (I don't read on my BlackBerry anymore since B&N stopped supporting the eReader for it and then basically fixed it where it couldn't be used on BlackBerrys at all, so I haven't the foggiest idea if there's any available.)
    04-13-12 11:50 AM
    Yeah, the Kindle app was never updated for OS7, it is only supported on the older devices (although some have apparently got it working on OS7 - I haven't been able to).
    04-13-12 12:02 PM
    I paid for it lol
    Im actually going to read it this weekend!
    04-13-12 01:30 PM
    It's here, it's here, it's here!

I'm posting (okay, admittedly, flailing) to let everyone know that Permuted Press has released the eBook for the sequel to THE BECOMING. THE BECOMING: GROUND ZERO is now available for purchase for only $7.99 on Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords!

Synopsis:

One year after the Michaluk Virus decimated the southeast, Ethan Bennett and his six companions have become as close as family while facing the trials of living in a drastically changed world. Then a mysterious woman arrives at their safe house in Alabama, pleading for assistance in getting into Atlanta. Despite their suspicions that the woman is hiding important information, Ethan and his friends agree to help. But when they’re suddenly forced to flee from the infected, the cohesion the group cultivated is shattered.

As members of the group succumb to the escalating dangers on their path, new alliances form, new loves develop, and old friendships crumble. In the face of unending horror, one man makes the ultimate sacrifice to save his friends, while another reveals secrets that could hold the key to humanity’s survival.

This is actually one of those novels that can be read even if you haven't read THE BECOMING or the accompanying novella THE BECOMING: BROTHERS IN ARMS.

You can purchase THE BECOMING: GROUND ZERO from Amazon for the Kindle right here: The Becoming: Ground Zero (The Becoming Book 2): Jessica Meigs: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

From Barnes & Noble for the Nook right here: BARNES & NOBLE | The Becoming: Ground Zero by Jessica Meigs, Permuted Press | NOOK Book (eBook)

and from Smashwords for all other formats (and DRM-free) right here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/vie...ef=asilentsong

Audiobook and paperback editions are coming soon (by the end of the month; the ebook actually dropped early).

AND, almost as exciting, the price of THE BECOMING has dropped to $5.99! You can find out more details on what was declared one of Barnes & Noble's Best Zombie Fiction Releases of 2011 right here: The Becoming: Book One | The Becoming

I appreciate your continued support as I continue to chronicle the awesomeness that is the Michaluk Virus! :P
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-13-12 04:52 PM
    Whoops. Let's just call this a double post and I'll point you to the one above this one. Lol
    Last edited by a_silent_song; 07-13-12 at 04:59 PM.
    07-13-12 04:57 PM
    Oh oh oh! And now I have even more awesomesauceness!

THE BECOMING: BROTHERS IN ARMS is now free on Amazon and Barnes & Noble!

This is a novella that follows the two brothers from the first novel, Theo and Gray Carter, and it shows the outbreak of the Michaluk Virus from some very unique perspectives: that of a paramedic and an asthmatic mechanic.

Synopsis:

In January 2009, the Michaluk Virus escaped from the Centers for Disease Control and decimated Atlanta, Georgia.

In February 2009, the virus had spread to the major city centers of the southeast, wreaking havoc in Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, Jackson, Biloxi, and New Orleans.

Then the virus reached Tupelo, Mississippi.

Theo and Gray Carter find themselves surrounded by chaos, death, and misery on all sides. As their worlds collapse around them, both are forced to do the unimaginable to not only ensure their survival but to protect each other from the cannibalistic infected that cross their paths.

Weaponless and alone, the two brothers quickly learn that the only thing they can count on is each other.

The Becoming: Brothers in Arms is a novella set in the Becoming universe. It can be read either before or after The Becoming, the first book in the series published November 2011 by Permuted Press. It contains no spoilers for The Becoming or its sequel The Becoming: Ground Zero, available now from Permuted Press.

You can pick up the FREE eBooks right here:

For the Amazon Kindle: The Becoming: Brothers In Arms: Jessica Meigs: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

For the Barnes & Noble Nook: BARNES & NOBLE | The Becoming: Brothers In Arms by Jessica Meigs, Permuted Press | NOOK Book (eBook)
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-21-12 08:04 PM
    Grr I'm very interested in this because I’m Intrigued by a book that was written entirely on a BlackBerry, & because I want to support fellow CB’s….alas I absolutely can’t stand horror stories. Ever since I was a kid they have freaked me out & gave me nightmares
    07-22-12 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD