View Poll Results: Would you prefer a horizontal or vertical bb10 slider? (if they have one)

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vertical (portrait)

91 75.83%
  • Horizontal (landscape)

29 24.17%
    i've seen so many posts about the milan and bbs in general regarding people agreeing and disagreeing over whether bb10 should have a horizontal or vertical slider. im sorry if theres been something to this but i searched it and found nothing. what do you guys think? i personally would want vertical and don't find horizontal attractive much (personal opinion, feel free to disagree).
    MTL likes this.
    03-10-12 12:21 AM
    Vertical slider if it is going to hold a torch 9810-like keyboard. It's so easy to write on a portrait blackberry keyboard it's laughable at android phones/iphone's on-screen keyboard.

So I'm 100% it'll have a vertical slider.

PS: HTC Desire Z has a horizontal slider that hides a keyboard. and they keyboard is bad.
    dandroid42 and anon(5506951) like this.
    03-10-12 09:33 AM
    Definitely vertical! Could not cope with horizontal, it's like a nintendo DS! You have to use both hands and the keyboards are always naff on the horizontal phones
    dandroid42 likes this.
    03-10-12 03:34 PM
    Definitely vertical! Could not cope with horizontal, it's like a nintendo DS! You have to use both hands and the keyboards are always naff on the horizontal phones
    Haha i've used that ds comparison too. i'm feelin vertical just because like you said you can onehand it if you need too. i think its better looking also
    03-10-12 06:05 PM
    Horizontal is way too long in my opinion .
    03-11-12 01:01 AM
    Horizontal is hard to type on one hand.
    03-11-12 05:37 AM
    I'd prefer a vertical but if they can pull off a horizontal well like the Droid 4's keyboard. I wouldn't mind that either.
    03-11-12 05:42 AM
    Horizontal is hard to type on one hand.
    yea i agree. i feel like vertical just makes it overall easier to use
    03-12-12 10:12 AM
    I have a Bold, but am I the only person who thinks the Curve keyboards are better. I hit two keys on the Bold often. The curve was great for one handed use.

I'm hoping the wider form factor will make the Bold style keys easier to use for those with fat fingers.
    03-12-12 11:44 PM
    Portrait all the way. I hate landscape sliders with the exception of the sidekick, but that phone has other problems...
    03-14-12 01:30 PM
    Portrait.
    03-14-12 04:42 PM
    I have a Bold, but am I the only person who thinks the Curve keyboards are better. I hit two keys on the Bold often. The curve was great for one handed use.

I'm hoping the wider form factor will make the Bold style keys easier to use for those with fat fingers.

You're not alone. I prefer the Curve keyboard too. I don't dislike the Bold's but I find the Curve's easier to type on both one handed and two.

I doubt that we will see a BB10 device with the Curve style keyboard though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    03-14-12 06:21 PM
    landscape for me. if the new BB10 slider is going to have a 4 inch screen then you can just imagine how long the phone will be once you open it up. also landscape has a lot more room to type and feels more natural to type with, IMO coming from using a 9550 both in portrait and landscape.
    03-15-12 08:19 AM
    landscape for me. if the new BB10 slider is going to have a 4 inch screen then you can just imagine how long the phone will be once you open it up. also landscape has a lot more room to type and feels more natural to type with, IMO coming from using a 9550 both in portrait and landscape.
    Landscape virtual keyboards are different, you need larger keys to type more accurately. On physical keyboards generally landscape means more travel between the keys, or they stick more keys on the sides. But it's not as necessary to have larger keys.
    03-15-12 05:07 PM
    The Dell Venue Pro has a portrait keyboard. And it's not too big or out of the ordinary when using it to text. And that has a 4.1 inch screen.
    03-18-12 12:58 AM
    Landscape virtual keyboards are different, you need larger keys to type more accurately. On physical keyboards generally landscape means more travel between the keys, or they stick more keys on the sides. But it's not as necessary to have larger keys.
    that makes sense, need more room for the censor. wouldn't the travel between keys be solely dependent on how tall the phone is?
    The Dell Venue Pro has a portrait keyboard. And it's not too big or out of the ordinary when using it to text. And that has a 4.1 inch screen.
    just Google Pic searched the Dell Venue Pro as ive not heard of it before, damn CDMA area :'(...that phone is huge LOL. well it looks huge in the pics i saw. im liking the 3.2 inch screen on my phones and i think 4 would be a lil much :s
    03-18-12 01:33 AM
    that makes sense, need more room for the censor. wouldn't the travel between keys be solely dependent on how tall the phone is?

just Google Pic searched the Dell Venue Pro as ive not heard of it before, damn CDMA area :'(...that phone is huge LOL. well it looks huge in the pics i saw. im liking the 3.2 inch screen on my phones and i think 4 would be a lil much :s
    Lol I've seen quite a few 4.x inch screen phones. I've used the Droid X. And the Venue Pro was easier to use with one hand. Fits in the hand pretty good. And I don't have large hands or anything.

3.2 inch screen is waay too small in this era of smartphones.
    03-19-12 01:09 AM
    I have always said horizontal slide is the best... then i got a torch.

I like that when i open my torch it locks the portrait oriantation even if i lie on the couch or whatever.
    Having a full heyboard for 2 hands or 1 hand is very convenient.
    So i like the keyboard like that.

But when i look at the leaked picture it does seem a bit "top heavy" for a vertical slide...
    03-19-12 03:55 AM
    I wonder what it would be like to have a portrait phone up to my ear (), I use my 9810 in open mode when using as a phone which feels more comfortable to me and I don't have to toggle for the virtual keyboard. So I guess I wouldn't use it in open landscape mode in this instance so it may as well be an all touch phone which I wouldn't want.
    03-20-12 04:44 PM
    Vertical. My wife had to replace her old dying 8900 last summer and since BB had nothing newer than the 9700/9780 at the time - got an HTC 4G slide. The physical horizontal kb is a pain to use. The horizontal screen board is ok.
    03-22-12 12:14 AM
    I have always said horizontal slide is the best... then i got a torch.

I like that when i open my torch it locks the portrait oriantation even if i lie on the couch or whatever.
    Having a full heyboard for 2 hands or 1 hand is very convenient.
    So i like the keyboard like that.

But when i look at the leaked picture it does seem a bit "top heavy" for a vertical slide...
    I had two Torches (9800 & 9810), and that top-heaviness is just one reason why I'd prefer a horizontal slider. Another is more room for a larger keyboard (always found the 9800's to be too cramped). Also, to me, anything text-based is easier on the eyes when viewed in a landscape orientation, like 99.99% of computer displays. When I used the Torches, I always wished they opened sideways. I've played with landscape sliders of other manufacturers and thought, if only RIM would apply their keyboard magic to this form factor, that would be pure smart-phone heaven.
    03-26-12 02:43 PM
    While I LOVE the Bold 9000 keyboard, something tells me that a 4" screen with a portrait slder just wont do it. A landscape slider MUST look and feel like the BB keyboards we all love, but perhaps we could see tab keys, "Fx" keys, etc. I hate the block keyboards of most sliders, but RIM could do it right.
    03-27-12 11:01 AM
    Portrait, but needs to be a little better than a Torch keyboard which is just a little too cramped.
    03-29-12 09:47 AM
    I just pulled out my old Xenon and it reminded me of this thread. Though I prefer vertical, I think RIM could pull off a horizontal slider. A bigger screen, with a keyboard the same or similar to the Curve/Bold keyboard, in a slider by BlackBerry...sign me up for it. Horizonal or vertical, I want it
    mithrazor likes this.
    04-09-12 09:32 AM
    If RIM is going to keep with it's views of being able to do more and do it efficiently then I'd put my bet on a vertical slider being the first if any sliders they bring out. I personally wouldn't want to rely on a touchscreen when I'm typing one hand and need it to be accurate.
    05-29-12 04:56 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD