As stated in this article (in French, sry for rapid translation), the latest device of a famous brand is not compatible with the French (and I belive most European) to-be-born 4G networks, so that the carriers have to find tricks ...
    So far I know, BB10 will launch in Europe First, and I sincerely hope (by Q1 2013 a bunch of French big cities will have 4G operational) BB10 device will make the difference on this particular point.
    Note : it is rumored that the device evoked above may offer a special branding for France and other countries with the same issue. Problem: if you travel ... You know the story.

As the New iPad launched last March, Apple iPhone 5 is only compatible with the 4G standard used by U.S. mobile operators and ignores French operators that use them the frequency bands 800 MHz and 2.6 GHz.
    The four mobile operators Bouygues Telecom, Free Mobile, Orange France and SFR in late 2011 bought the 4G frequencies auctioned by the state for € 3.6 billion.
    However, this technology, which will have a flow from their mobile internet equivalent to a fixed line broadband, is that for now being tested in several French cities and commercial offers that are expected in 2013.
    "Apple remains focused on the U.S. market," explains Stphane Dubreuil analyst at Sia-Conseil while stressing that Europe, 4G is "just emerging, and it is not really a selling point for operators" .
    Indeed, as Orange SFR insist rather on the fact that users of Apple's newest home will benefit from the improvement they made ​​on their 3G network, allowing up to 42 megabits debits important.
    [..] hopefully [we believe] the iPhone "will evolve, there will be other models," which will support the European standards of 4G said Orange (the operator), while acknowledging "not having a schedule" for this ad .
    Source : http://www.01net.com/editorial/57309...patibilite-4g/ (FR)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-14-12 at 02:04 PM.
    09-14-12 02:01 PM
    4G will be fractured spectrum-wise globally. I doubt you will see a single phone that will be a true LTE World Phone for a long time because of this issue.
    09-14-12 02:49 PM
    4G will be fractured spectrum-wise globally. I doubt you will see a single phone that will be a true LTE World Phone for a long time because of this issue.
    A sad commentary on the state of wireless communications around the globe. Imagine a world in which you can travel to any country and your smartphone not only works but is treated as a non-roaming smartphone.
    BB10FTW and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-14-12 02:53 PM
    Germany for example has 800, 1800, and 2600 Mhz LTE. iPhone 5 LTE operates only on 1800 which is only used by Deutch telecom. Vodaphone, Telephonica, O2 customers are out of luck. What is Apple thinking???????? GS3 does them all with Snapdragon S4 chip.
    BB10 will be using Snapdragon S4 Pro (or OMAP5 with Paratek???). Either way....covered!
    Stand Up
    pcguy514 and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-14-12 03:51 PM
    Germany for example has 800, 1800, and 2600 Mhz LTE. iPhone 5 LTE operates only on 1800 which is only used by Deutch telecom. Vodaphone, Telephonica, O2 customers are out of luck. What is Apple thinking???????? GS3 does them all with Snapdragon S4 chip.
    BB10 will be using Snapdragon S4 Pro (or OMAP5 with Paratek???). Either way....covered!
    Stand Up
    But what about HDPA+? The real user speed on HSPA+ is similar for many networks - as LTE for others...

which HSPA+ frequencies does the iPhone5 support?

and since ITU still demand that "4G" is undefined... all networks are still 3.5G no matter what the phone companies tell you... so LTE and HSPA/HSDPA+ is just two approaches to extend 3G capabilities..
    09-14-12 05:09 PM
    I believe the Verizon Iphone 5 has the EU 4G bands.
    09-14-12 06:17 PM
    Stand Up
    Yea. . .so what's the deal with the Paratek Adaptive RF acquisition??? Still trying to figure out what was the plan with that one? Any idea of how this is giving RIM a leg up???
    09-14-12 06:50 PM
    As stated in this article (in French, sry for rapid translation), the latest device of a famous brand is not compatible with the French (and I belive most European) to-be-born 4G networks, so that the carriers have to find tricks ...
    So far I know, BB10 will launch in Europe First, and I sincerely hope (by Q1 2013 a bunch of French big cities will have 4G operational) BB10 device will make the difference on this particular point.
    Note : it is rumored that the device evoked above may offer a special branding for France and other countries with the same issue. Problem: if you travel ... You know the story.

Source : iPhone5: les oprateurs contournent la non-compatibilit 4G (FR)
    Good to have you back Mon Ami. This is an interesting find. But given that Apple is an American Company, this isn't really a surprise that they are US Centric in their focus.

But, I'm interested to see if that RIM can pull something off with Europe's 4G situation. A true World 4G Smartphone...might be worth looking at.
    09-17-12 10:18 AM
    I though there were three versions of the iphone, with different supported lte bands?
    09-17-12 10:22 AM
    Yea. . .so what's the deal with the Paratek Adaptive RF acquisition??? Still trying to figure out what was the plan with that one? Any idea of how this is giving RIM a leg up???
    Paratek allows RIM to have 5 frequencies per antenna vs 4. It also increases call reliability & reception. Thus making it more likely that you will have signal bars when your iphone ect. friends have non, & also less dropped calls.
    09-17-12 03:08 PM
    Good to have you back Mon Ami. This is an interesting find. But given that Apple is an American Company, this isn't really a surprise that they are US Centric in their focus.

But, I'm interested to see if that RIM can pull something off with Europe's 4G situation. A true World 4G Smartphone...might be worth looking at.
    Good to read you too, my friend
    The point was more about what will RIM offer (provided they release their BB10 devices in Europe first ) ... and my dream about an international phone ... you know, the one for people that ... DO !
    I'll ask in a few hours @ Amsterdam ... hopefully I'll get some answers there.
    And of course, I'll let you know !
    09-17-12 05:31 PM
    Not exactly. There are at least 9 different versions of the S3, each running different LTE bands, with none of them supporting more than 2. Some don't even have LTE, the T-MobileUSA version being the most notable. I believe the Chinese version doesn't support LTE either. As far as I know, the European versions, known as GT-i9300, doesn't support LTE either, although supposedly, Samsung will be releasing one that with both Jelly Bean and European LTE support.
    09-18-12 01:52 AM
    But what about HDPA+? The real user speed on HSPA+ is similar for many networks - as LTE for others...

which HSPA+ frequencies does the iPhone5 support?
    iPhone 5 supports 850, 900, 1,900, 2,100 MHz on HSPA+.
    09-18-12 01:58 AM
    Good to read you too, my friend
    The point was more about what will RIM offer (provided they release their BB10 devices in Europe first ) ... and my dream about an international phone ... you know, the one for people that ... DO !
    I'll ask in a few hours @ Amsterdam ... hopefully I'll get some answers there.
    And of course, I'll let you know !
    What have you heard from your travels in Amsterdam?
    09-19-12 09:38 AM
    Paratek allows RIM to have 5 frequencies per antenna vs 4. It also increases call reliability & reception. Thus making it more likely that you will have signal bars when your iphone ect. friends have non, & also less dropped calls.
    Sounds great but doesn't sound very revolutionary. . .guess we'll have to wait and see how RIM implements this tech but it doesn't sound like it will make the BB10 devices all that different from other LTE devices. . .
    09-22-12 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD