I have been a big fan of BB for a long time and with all of the new devices out it has been difficult to stay with BB. From apps - http://forums.crackberry.com/general...s-apps-726502/
    to the device itself (look at the new GS3 and tell me it doesn't look appetizing) but in the end I have to go with functionality of the physical keyboard.

I tried to use an iPhone and the GS3 and no matter what I did (turn it sideways, frontways, etc) I could not type as accurately or speedy as with the physical keyboard. As much as I would love to use a device that offers as many apps as an iPhone or droid, the ability to type on a physical keyboard takes priority.

My game plan is to keep the Bold for a year or so in hopes that BB10 will be out on a physical keyboard type device.

It's a gamble but I hope I didn't make the wrong decision.
    07-18-12 08:55 PM
    Sounds good to me. How could you go wrong? There will be a BB10 phone with a physical keyboard so you're good.
    07-18-12 09:01 PM
    You made an wise choice.
    alan510 likes this.
    07-18-12 09:08 PM
    Its a great device you will enjoy it! Don't let the anti blackberry crowd drag your opinion down the bold 9930 is a superior device and it gets the job done!
    Yes android has more bells and whistles but the bold is so much more productive.
    07-18-12 09:08 PM
    The bold is a solid device. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    07-18-12 09:09 PM
    I love my bold 9900. Its a speedy phone great battery life, desent camera. Great for email BBM and texting. Screen resolution is clear and browsing is quick.

It really does everything I need it to plus its a rock, I've bounced it from 6 feet onto solid concrete and there isn't even a scratch on it.
    07-18-12 09:20 PM
    So far I LOVE my Bold. Beautiful graphics, speedy in all ways and the typing on a physical keyboard cannot be beat!

I do have a few complaints - the battery life is much less than my Tour. I dimmed the brightness and am running battery boost to shut off background software but it still eats battery juice. I purchased extra batteries and with the battery start up being so short, it is just an inconvenience.

The biggest disappointment is the inability to zoom or change focal lengths when recording video. Is it just me or does this device not give you any flexibility on zooming in or out when you are trying to video something?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-05-12 02:59 PM
    Thats correct, No zooming option when recording video.

How many apps do you have, there has been a few app that can cause battery drain.
    08-05-12 03:05 PM
    i have the app Battery Watch and it auto shut downs apps that run behind the scene. I have about a dozen or so apps but not an app hog yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-05-12 03:22 PM
    I am actually more productive on my SGIII, so that comment about the Bold being "so much more productive" does not compute. No battery pulls, no spinning clock,no rebooting when downloading apps.

The Bold is a good phone in many ways, but the weak battery life was the last straw for me and it didn't improve with an OS upgrade either. People tried to convince me it was the apps I had - except I barely had any apps. I hated having to dim everything just to try and conserve battery.
    I didn't realize how much I missed the lack of auto-focus until I got my new phone - although I did manage to live with it, this was minor compared to the battery issue (I had Battery Watch and a spare charger).

You and only you will be able to decide.
    Carry a spare battery, ignore the zooming and auto-focus aspects and you will be fine.
    08-05-12 03:50 PM
    I am actually more productive on my SGIII, so that comment about the Bold being "so much more productive" does not compute. No battery pulls, no spinning clock,no rebooting when downloading apps.

The Bold is a good phone in many ways, but the weak battery life was the last straw for me and it didn't improve with an OS upgrade either. People tried to convince me it was the apps I had - except I barely had any apps. I hated having to dim everything just to try and conserve battery.
    I didn't realize how much I missed the lack of auto-focus until I got my new phone - although I did manage to live with it, this was minor compared to the battery issue (I had Battery Watch and a spare charger).

You and only you will be able to decide.
    Carry a spare battery, ignore the zooming and auto-focus aspects and you will be fine.
    Well said. So far battery life is a minus along with the inability to adjust focal length in video mode; however, the bottom line for me is the physical keyboard. The SGIII is so superior in many ways except typing on a flatscreen is a no go for me. The only other minus I see for the SGIII is the bigger size - although that is a personal preference - and many people think the droid platform is not as secure as with BB. I use mine for work and security is a huge issue.

All that said - physical keyboard trumps everything and that is why I went with the Bold. I will learn to live with the ridicule of having an uncool "old man device" - so I have been told. If I need to video an event or need crystal clear pictures, nothing beats my Cannon S100 and carrying around a few extra Bold batteries is no big deal.
    08-05-12 04:07 PM
    I've had my 9900 for almost a year and I still love it. I'm looking forward to BB10, and I know the fully qwerty will launch sometime after the full touch device..so I am more than happy with my Bold, and the newer OS's really make for GREAT battery life, which was the only tiny little issue I had with the phone when I got it LAST August.
    08-05-12 07:48 PM
    The 9930/9900 Bold is the finest BlackBerry phone so enjoy it. Like you I will wait on BB10 to be produced with a physical keyboard.
    08-05-12 07:56 PM
    The 9930 is an excellent device. You made a good decision. Enjoy your Bold!
    08-05-12 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD