I'm not even sure if you were able to understand anything from the title, but here goes:

I have a home phone that allows me unlimited North America. Do you think there's a way where I can create/get an application that through data would connect me to my home phone and let me do calling from that phone? So I am only charged data and not voice?

Is that even doable? This way I can roam anywhere in Canada and use the phone, or better yet, have this service if I go to the US and use it through wifi.

What are your thoughts?
    03-10-10 09:43 AM
    It sounds like you want either UMA or Skype.
    03-10-10 10:57 AM
    But with UMA you can't use the phone anywhere in the world... You can use it only within the towers allowed by your carrier.

As for Skype, you woudn't be using your home phone number...
    03-11-10 07:53 PM
    But with UMA you can't use the phone anywhere in the world... You can use it only within the towers allowed by your carrier.

As for Skype, you woudn't be using your home phone number...
    UMA is calling over a wifi network. it doesnt even use cell towers.
    03-11-10 07:55 PM
    UMA is calling over a wifi network. it doesnt even use cell towers.
    That's what I thought too, but when I asked the rep she said you cannot use it outside your calling area becaue even though it uses wifi it has to route back to a tower, not sure if she's saying the truth or not, but assuming I did this, that means I cannot use the phone anywhere else but where the city I'm in.
    03-11-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD