BlackBerry phones will never rise to popularity or fame again. BUT they will still be existing as Legendary notable phones. BlackBerry will still be recognized as one of the pioneers in innovation and smartphone technology for BlackBerry is unique.
    In my experience, though BlackBerry is seldom seen and used in my workplace. My office mates were amazed and they were wowed with my BlackBerry Z30. For them they find BlackBerry an elite, lavish, expensive, exclusive phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 05:45 AM
    BlackBerry phones will never rise to popularity or fame again. BUT they will still be existing as Legendary notable phones. BlackBerry will still be recognized as one of the pioneers in innovation and smartphone technology for BlackBerry is unique.
    In my experience, though BlackBerry is seldom seen and used in my workplace. My office mates were amazed and they were wowed with my BlackBerry Z30. For them they find BlackBerry an elite, lavish, expensive, exclusive phone.

Posted via CB10
    I also do not see them at work anymore. But in my experience, new iPhones and Galaxy phones are comparable in price, so I never understood why some view them as lavish and expensive. I know there are some exceptions like Priv, but I was always under the impression that phones like the Z10 and Z30 were behind in specs when they came out but not more expensive. Seems to be a myth, no?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 09-10-16 at 08:23 AM.
    09-10-16 07:16 AM
    Behind in camera specs.
    Technically behind in processor and RAM, but the BB OS's didn't need much power, so, as fast, or faster.
    09-10-16 03:20 PM
    I also do not see them at work anymore. But in my experience, new iPhones and Galaxy phones are comparable in price, so I never understood why some view them as lavish and expensive. I know there are some exceptions like Priv, but I was always under the impression that phones like the Z10 and Z30 were behind in specs when they came out but not more expensive. Seems to be a myth, no?

Posted via CB10
    Think you may want to review comparable specs of the time. By that I mean RAM, screen PPI's and even physical size @ 2013. The Z10 was on point and the Z30 even more so . Too bad BlackBerry 10 released with a crappy OS build. Had the Z10 and the Q10 released with 10.2.1 at the same time it may have played out differently. Why they released months apart and an un-polished new OS was foolish and of course costly.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    09-11-16 09:40 AM
    It's not what you CAN do with them that's the problem. The issues arise when people start questioning what you CANNOT do with them.
    Maybe- at best it's a mixed bag. I have more options with my BB shop unlocked classic than I did with my carrier HTC One M7- email, keyboard, better multi-tasking, hotspot. Of course the apps thing, but I place greater value on those things it can do rather than the things it cant- plus I get the security and, more importantly, privacy. I have a nexus 7 LTE that I use from time to time for those things it cant do, but the Classic handles my communication needs just fine.
    bh7171 likes this.
    09-13-16 07:39 AM
    In my experience, though BlackBerry is seldom seen and used in my workplace. My office mates were amazed and they were wowed with my BlackBerry Z30. For them they find BlackBerry an elite, lavish, expensive, exclusive phone.Posted via CB10
    Again, there is a market option- recent article on the smartphone biz and the earning of most phone mfrs, go niche or go home. Blackberry is so niche there is a market.
    09-13-16 07:41 AM
    Again, there is a market option- recent article on the smartphone biz and the earning of most phone mfrs, go niche or go home. Blackberry is so niche there is a market.
    But it has to be profitable for them even if it is a niche. And recent history is not on their side. They can't continue to lose money on phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 08:07 AM
    Not if you consider game consoles (which I don't use). Both Microsoft and Sony initially sold their consoles at or near a loss. That's because they made it up in services and their portion of game sales. There are a lot of products that are sold at or near a loss because they require a particular service or product to work or the manufacturer is trying to secure market share. Saudi oil prices are an example of the latter.

That's similar to what I see in the BlackBerry model very recently. Sell the phones dirt cheap and hope to get people buying services. Also, it reminds me of cheap Chinese and Korean phones that are thrown out for almost nothing to build market share. If you're old enough, you will consider the same pattern with Honda, Toyota and Datsun, and Kia and Hyundai.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-13-16 08:24 PM
    Rotary phones and party lines and having to dial and quickly hang up and listen to your own phone ring until it stopped ringing and then quickly pick it up again bc that means they answered their phone: that's how you phoned someone who shared your party line.

Am I an old-fogey already?
    09-14-16 04:34 AM
    Am I an old-fogey already?
    Yes, but your'e not alone.
    09-14-16 05:29 AM
    Not if you consider game consoles (which I don't use). Both Microsoft and Sony initially sold their consoles at or near a loss. That's because they made it up in services and their portion of game sales. There are a lot of products that are sold at or near a loss because they require a particular service or product to work or the manufacturer is trying to secure market share. Saudi oil prices are an example of the latter.

That's similar to what I see in the BlackBerry model very recently. Sell the phones dirt cheap and hope to get people buying services. Also, it reminds me of cheap Chinese and Korean phones that are thrown out for almost nothing to build market share. If you're old enough, you will consider the same pattern with Honda, Toyota and Datsun, and Kia and Hyundai.

Well, BlackBerry had both in the past, phones and BIS. And when phones sales declined, carriers were more than happy to get rid of BIS which had become a nuisance. Then companies started dropping BES. While BlackBerry is focusing more on software these days, I don't see how this service will drive phone sales since a lot of the software is designed to secure devices over multiple platforms. I am not sure if the console model is applicable now. It would be like Sony making their own games but not just for Playstation.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 06:59 AM
    Well I agree with you. I don't think it will drive many phone sales except for the security conscious. I think BlackBerry is turning into a pure software company. But we will see.

09-14-16 08:32 AM
112 ... 345