01-14-13 01:41 PM
38 12
tools
    The usual thing for reviews of any kind is that you get the item in advance and are then embargoed from posting your review until a particular date, stuff like videogames for example would be far too late after release if you could only start to review a 100+ hour game at launch.
    Uhm thanks I guess, I'm pretty familiar with the process already though. I had 40+ review units last year from several different manufactures and oddly enough. None of them arrived a few days before they were commercially available. If what I was told is true, I won't have a BB10 demo unit until sometime after January 30th. And that is the best answer I got. Asking the carriers (who also, can and do provide demo units before commercial availability) results in a "I don't know" answer. That makes a early February launch seem highly unlikely to me. But who knows
    01-13-13 08:50 AM
    February 3rd
    01-13-13 08:53 AM
    Presumably the focus for early review units will be for bigger sites and publications.
    01-13-13 08:55 AM
    We won't have demo units until "sometime after the January 30th" according to my PR contact. How can reviewers review a device in a couple of days? With os7 and the PlayBook, we had demo units 2-3 weeks prior to commercial availability. Things can always change, but at this point it seems like a in hand date of the first week of February is unlikely.
    Ah, I wasn't aware about when the demo units were going out, I was just speculating on the possibilities. In that case I suppose mid-February is the earliest we'll be seeing them on sale.
    01-13-13 09:00 AM
    Ah, I wasn't aware about when the demo units were going out, I was just speculating on the possibilities. In that case I suppose mid-February is the earliest we'll be seeing them on sale.
    Everything is still a rumor. I'm just saying why I think its unlikely. Won't know for sure till they officially arrive. Its completely possible that only certain publications get a demo unit before launch and I don't see one till commercial availability. It would be kind of unusual, but it could certainly happen.
    01-13-13 09:05 AM
    I think the cEO at Sprint said "one device later in the year". I'd hate to be a Sprint customer after hearing that.
    A-R-I-S-T-O,,, if that's the "one", i'm ok w/ that,,, gonna wait on that 1 anyway & any bugs will be worked out by then,,, also "later in the year" could mean February...
    01-13-13 01:57 PM
    If it was RIM's decision they'd release the devices on the 30th. Unfortunately it's all on the carriers. My prediction is that Canadian carriers and AT&T will release first, mid February at the earliest.
    01-13-13 02:41 PM
    The usual thing for reviews of any kind is that you get the item in advance and are then embargoed from posting your review until a particular date, stuff like videogames for example would be far too late after release if you could only start to review a 100+ hour game at launch.
    Just throwing it out there, but what if reviewers already have their BB10 devices, but just have such strict NDAs that they haven't said anything? Then we have reviewers all ready for a February 4 (or even January 30) release. Just saying it's a possibility, let others judge the probability.
    01-13-13 07:01 PM
    This isn't like Apple or Google though. RIM's distribution model is to sell pretty much exclusively through Carriers. Carriers do things to suit them and their bottom line. I bet RIM is pushing like h*ll to get them to launch asap after the 30th of January. I bet some will too. But there will be some arsehat Carriers who think they know better.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-13-13 07:15 PM
    This isn't like Apple or Google though. RIM's distribution model is to sell pretty much exclusively through Carriers. Carriers do things to suit them and their bottom line. I bet RIM is pushing like h*ll to get them to launch asap after the 30th of January. I bet some will too. But there will be some arsehat Carriers who think they know better.
    or are paid more than Rim is willing to...
    01-13-13 09:11 PM
    Uhm thanks I guess, I'm pretty familiar with the process already though. I had 40+ review units last year from several different manufactures and oddly enough. None of them arrived a few days before they were commercially available. If what I was told is true, I won't have a BB10 demo unit until sometime after January 30th. And that is the best answer I got. Asking the carriers (who also, can and do provide demo units before commercial availability) results in a "I don't know" answer. That makes a early February launch seem highly unlikely to me. But who knows
    Interesting, I'm betting on a early February launch as I just don't buy into the review argument. Let's face, if you do have something that is new and unique, the last thing your going to do send these devices to a bunch of techies and then ask then not to talk. Sort of the Fox in the hen house routine.
    This strategy works when your marketing the 10th iteration of a iPhone whose basic operating principles haven't changed in a decade.
    01-14-13 01:58 AM
    February 3rd
    Yes we get it lol
    01-14-13 02:05 AM
    Two months is too long.
    But I think is better to wait for it 2 months and but it at Mexico, I know that at ebay would be on sale at that time

I am going to wait
    01-14-13 01:41 PM
38 12