Microsoft opened up Skype chat a while back. It's entirely possible that RIM enabled linked Skype IM/chat, but not necessarily the other features like video calling or audio calling.

Plus, Skype is a Microsoft product, and ironically enough, Microsoft has the best cross-platform support of the "big three" (Apple, Google, Microsoft). I have no doubt they'll do a Skydrive, Skype, and Outlook.com app for BB 10 if BB 10 sells well. (Remember, RIM and Microsoft already have a strategic partnership around other services, like Office 365).
    01-25-13 02:07 PM
    Slightly Off Topic but ....Why doesn't Google Talk have an icon ?
    01-26-13 06:05 AM
    I find it funny that I've seen this a LONG time ago, and even posted up MANY MANY months ago about Skype coming and there being some integration...
    01-26-13 06:12 AM
    I find it funny that I've seen this a LONG time ago, and even posted up MANY MANY months ago about Skype coming and there being some integration...
    If skype was on bb10 only for im, it would be pretty underwhelming...to have any relevance, the bb10 skype support would need to have voice call and video call capabilities
    01-26-13 05:40 PM
    If skype was on bb10 only for im, it would be pretty underwhelming...to have any relevance, the bb10 skype support would need to have voice call and video call capabilities
    Exactly. If anything, I could imagine an IM Skype only leading to BB10 being ridiculed in reviews of the new phones with parallels being drawn to the half-baked implementation of software on the Playbook including releasing a product with no email client nor BBM. I would rather Skype not be there at all than to be there in some sort of bastardized version. Sadly, even if the IM option works miraculously and is completely integrated into the OS so that you could message anyone anything, the public will focus on what's missing. "What do you mean it can't do video calls? What's the point then?" Will be the cry heard.

Skype needs to be there, all of it, if RIM wants to address this shortcoming and convince those that rely on Skype to move back to them. Here's hoping that what will be unveiled soon is greater than any rumors and so-called facts discussed to date.
    01-26-13 09:27 PM
    I can understand why some people might think that Skype is not a big deal but it's what I use to talk to my parents everyday back home (international). I have it set up where they have a skype phone on their end and I can use either the pc or the mobile to contact them...if BB10 doesn't have it, it's going to be tough for me to switch to such a device...regardless of how badly I want it I don't know if other people are in the same boat as me but I'm rooting for skype to be on there from the get go...
    I am on the very same boat.

sent using tapatalk
    01-27-13 03:32 AM
    Same boat here. I use it to speak to loved ones across the pond, although I do it from home. That said, I tried it on my SGIII and the person I was talking to was impressed with the quality.

As to why.....really? Still that argument????

Here is why....

Everyone else has it.
    BB needs to, at the very least, catch up to everyone else...if not leapfrog the competition as they so boldly (no pun intended) stated eighteen months ago.
    Therefore BB needs to also have it.

I hope they do, consumers speak with their wallets.
    rottonj likes this.
    01-27-13 04:45 AM
    I too use Skype for my international NON-BlackBerry friends & family. I find the quality of BBM7 & PB Video to be better then Skype, but as qbnkelt pointed out, everyone has (or can get Skype) & not everyone is able (smart enough ) to have a BB

If I have the option though I will always take BB over Skype just for video & audio quality
    01-27-13 05:05 AM
    I use Skype for VOIP to keep in touch with my international friends and clients.
    I also use Skype on my spare CDMA phone (Android) because, quite simply, it has unlimited DATA, but not unlimited calling. The Android Skype interface asks on every phone call if I would like to Skype it or Dial it via carrier. Nice for me. And the VOIP audio quality of Skype has been very good.

It would be a huge perk for me if "10" had Skype. That would be the cherry on the cupcake for my business use.
    01-27-13 05:56 AM
    I use ephone so who cares about skype as ephone works awesome
    01-27-13 04:59 PM
    I care cause I have absolutely no clue what ephone is. I think that's the point many of us are trying to drive home. It's worthless to pay for a service like that, when you can just Skype to Skype the other person over Cellular or WiFi connections for free. Saves quite a bit of money... (You can still call landlines and Mobiles with Skype, and it's quite cheap).

Skype-to-Skype VoIP call quality is HD-level, unless your connection is super bad.

In any case, the reason why Skype is needed is cause it's *everywhere*. I'm not sure where this became a "let's make it seem like Skype is irrelevant" thread. That's not the point. Point: What other services do you know is usable from Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BB (Pre-OS 10), Symbian, IP-Phones, PC, Mac, Linux, and even on Android/iOS PMPs (can basically turn them into smartphones when they have a WiFi connection)?

Not Google Talk (Android and Web App, A terrible Desktop App is available - no decent VoIP in RIM's app). Not iMessage + FaceTime (OSX/iOS only). Not BBM + Voice/Video (BB Only, no Desktop App).

Nothing else. Yahoo! comes close, but the Voice and Video Quality in their [especially] Mobile IM clients is so low that it's a show stopper to most people. And of course, as of recently, it doesn't let you call Mobile/Landline numbers anymore. There is no VoIP in the BB app for Yahoo! Messenger, either, and the Android Plug-In is Beta and terrible (if you aren't upside down, you're lucky).

People use Skype VoIP here a lot, cause in the rink here with this LTE Coverage and the way the building is constructed your phone is going to die in < 3-4 hours of standby because it will be fighting to keep a signal. Only way to stop that, is the put Airplane Mode and Turn WiFi On. At that point, you can use Skype anywhere in the building to Skype to Skype Call people, even call Landlines and Mobiles, and send IMs and Text Messages if necessary. Canada has quite a few rinks, so I'm sure some here may have seen this happen.

BBM Voice and Video, if it wasn't locked down to one brand of phone, could have really made it a non-factor; but that wasn't meant to be.

I'm now considering a Windows Phone 8 because of the way it runs Skype. It's that big a deal. Just need them to add a decent Notification Center and get a couple or few apps that I need first.
    01-30-13 02:57 PM
    I care cause I have absolutely no clue what ephone is. I think that's the point many of us are trying to drive home. It's worthless to pay for a service like that, when you can just Skype to Skype the other person over Cellular or WiFi connections for free. Saves quite a bit of money... (You can still call landlines and Mobiles with Skype, and it's quite cheap).

Skype-to-Skype VoIP call quality is HD-level, unless your connection is super bad.

In any case, the reason why Skype is needed is cause it's *everywhere*. I'm not sure where this became a "let's make it seem like Skype is irrelevant" thread. That's not the point. Point: What other services do you know is usable from Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BB (Pre-OS 10), Symbian, IP-Phones, PC, Mac, Linux, and even on Android/iOS PMPs (can basically turn them into smartphones when they have a WiFi connection)?

Not Google Talk (Android and Web App, A terrible Desktop App is available - no decent VoIP in RIM's app). Not iMessage + FaceTime (OSX/iOS only). Not BBM + Voice/Video (BB Only, no Desktop App).

Nothing else. Yahoo! comes close, but the Voice and Video Quality in their [especially] Mobile IM clients is so low that it's a show stopper to most people. And of course, as of recently, it doesn't let you call Mobile/Landline numbers anymore. There is no VoIP in the BB app for Yahoo! Messenger, either, and the Android Plug-In is Beta and terrible (if you aren't upside down, you're lucky).

People use Skype VoIP here a lot, cause in the rink here with this LTE Coverage and the way the building is constructed your phone is going to die in < 3-4 hours of standby because it will be fighting to keep a signal. Only way to stop that, is the put Airplane Mode and Turn WiFi On. At that point, you can use Skype anywhere in the building to Skype to Skype Call people, even call Landlines and Mobiles, and send IMs and Text Messages if necessary. Canada has quite a few rinks, so I'm sure some here may have seen this happen.

BBM Voice and Video, if it wasn't locked down to one brand of phone, could have really made it a non-factor; but that wasn't meant to be.

I'm now considering a Windows Phone 8 because of the way it runs Skype. It's that big a deal. Just need them to add a decent Notification Center and get a couple or few apps that I need first.
    Why are you considering WP8 when they announced Skype will be there on BB10?
    silversun10 likes this.
    01-30-13 03:06 PM
37 12