01-24-13 07:11 AM
    It's funny how the presence of a Skype icon in the user information could be interpreted either way.

There are some who have said that it's just for information, but there's something that I noticed from when the BB10 icon list was released... the grey Skype icon, as in the image above would (in normal circumstances) indicate an offline user... but there was also, in the icon list, a blue Skype icon; which would indicate an online Skype user.

If Skype wasn't integrated to BB10 (in some way) then why and how would BB10 know if a user was online or not

Si.
    01-24-13 07:17 AM
    I think that's just for information purposes. All the ways to contact someone should be in their profile.

I still don't see the big deal about skype, but I guess it's important to others.
    01-24-13 07:23 AM
    True!!!

But the guy who posted this on twitter said "I love the Contacts view in the BlackBerry 10 phone book. Even the little Skype launcher. #TeamBBM #BlackBerry10"
    He said it is a Skype launcher, what I understood from that it will actually launch Skype. Maybe I am wrong
    01-24-13 07:24 AM
    Should give him a call and ask him.... seems he's ok posting his phone number lol
    01-24-13 07:27 AM
    Should give him a call and ask him.... seems he's ok posting his phone number lol
    skype him...
    01-24-13 07:29 AM
    I tested him. See if he replies back.
    01-24-13 08:53 AM
    I texted him. See if he replies back.
    01-24-13 08:55 AM
    I think it probably means we'll see Skype text chat, but it doesn't mean we'll get voice or video.
    Marc_Paradise likes this.
    01-24-13 08:58 AM
    Am pretty sure Skype will be on BB10. The question is in what form?
    As the windows messenger replacement without voip or as the current skype that comes on the other platforms.
    Edit
    Someone was faster than me
    01-24-13 09:00 AM
    I'm at the point where if SKYPE comes to the BB10 it comes, if not than it doesn't........not going to loose sleep over it
    dragonx6 and redk like this.
    01-24-13 09:01 AM
    It's funny how the presence of a Skype icon in the user information could be interpreted either way.

There are some who have said that it's just for information, but there's something that I noticed from when the BB10 icon list was released... the grey Skype icon, as in the image above would (in normal circumstances) indicate an offline user... but there was also, in the icon list, a blue Skype icon; which would indicate an online Skype user.

If Skype wasn't integrated to BB10 (in some way) then why and how would BB10 know if a user was online or not

Si.
    Im with you on that one. Also if it was just for information why would they use the boring offline icon? Why wouldnt they use the blue skype icon which looks more attractive but like everything we just have to wait and see on January 30th.
    01-24-13 10:56 AM
    Im with you on that one. Also if it was just for information why would they use the boring offline icon? Why wouldnt they use the blue skype icon which looks more attractive but like everything we just have to wait and see on January 30th.
    From the code we saw previously leaked the icon will change if Skype is installed.
    01-24-13 10:58 AM
    ^^

I would say one year ago it mattered a lot more than it does now. There are so many third party video chat clients not to mention local clients it hardly is a make or break. As time goes on I would say Skype is likely to become less and less relevant. One source for all your video chats would be nice, but frankly you don't use Skype the same way you use a chat messenger like BBM. It matters more that the select few you do video chat with on a regular basis have it. For that end I'm sure people can find a different solution.
    01-24-13 11:25 AM
    Worth noting: on the Dev Alphas, in the form to create/edit a contact, there's a field you can configure for IM. There are numerous choices including Jabber, Windows Live Messenger (which is dying in a couple of months), Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, and AIM.

Not inconceivable that there might be native support for all of these (which would be really cool), or possibly the ability to invoke a locally-installed client. At this point, we JUST DON'T KNOW.

I do think it's significant that there's code that tests whether Skype has been installed or not (which would make sense if it's a possible invocation target), and that there's blue and grey online indicator icons, but again, these aren't conclusive.

Interesting, though.
    iN8ter likes this.
    01-24-13 11:32 AM
    ^^

I would say one year ago it mattered a lot more than it does now. There are so many third party video chat clients not to mention local clients it hardly is a make or break. As time goes on I would say Skype is likely to become less and less relevant. One source for all your video chats would be nice, but frankly you don't use Skype the same way you use a chat messenger like BBM. It matters more that the select few you do video chat with on a regular basis have it. For that end I'm sure people can find a different solution.
    You just explained WHY it DOES matter.

I think some people are still stuck in some utopia where their friends will install any and everything they tell them to just because you told them it's cool. In the real world, busy people want to use services that don't dictate what type of phone or PC/browser/whatever they will use (which BB, iOS, and some Google services do) and move on. Skype provides that. The others don't.

It's on Windows, Mac and Linux Desktop. Windows Phone/RT, Android, iOS, Symbian, etc. It has relative Feature Parity across most platforms as well. It doesn't require you to create a Social Network account like Google+. It doesn't dictate you buy an iPhone like FaceTime, or Android device like Google Talk Voice/Video Chat. It works on HSPA+/LTE without the carrier butting in.

It just works, and everything is contained in one user interface. It also has probably the best VoIP voice quality out there.

Those third party services are simply not on the level of the big players in this area when it comes to efficiency (i.e. how much data do they use to transmit voice and video data, and how much battery do they use by extension), features, and reliability.
    1oo1 likes this.
    01-24-13 12:13 PM
    Worth noting: on the Dev Alphas, in the form to create/edit a contact, there's a field you can configure for IM. There are numerous choices including Jabber, Windows Live Messenger (which is dying in a couple of months), Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, and AIM.

Not inconceivable that there might be native support for all of these (which would be really cool), or possibly the ability to invoke a locally-installed client. At this point, we JUST DON'T KNOW.

I do think it's significant that there's code that tests whether Skype has been installed or not (which would make sense if it's a possible invocation target), and that there's blue and grey online indicator icons, but again, these aren't conclusive.

Interesting, though.
    This, Android and iOS have the same thing in the Contacts app.
    01-24-13 12:13 PM
    However, there are TWO Skype icons built into the OS... one for active, one for inactive. This could perhaps be indication that when a contact is offline, they get the grey icon, and when online, they get the blue icon. Fingers crossed.
    01-24-13 12:17 PM
    FWIW, I asked @BlackberryScoop about this picture. I asked if this meant Skype was integrated. Scoop's response: "you have to wait for Jan. 30th " Take that with a grain of salt but I have had a feeling for a few weeks that Skype integration would be one of the launch day surprises..
    SHOBOKSHY likes this.
    01-24-13 12:24 PM
    Skype replaced Windows messenger so you would think we would at the very least have a Skype icon for IM purposes. I think that's all we are seeing here.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-24-13 12:31 PM
    However, there are TWO Skype icons built into the OS... one for active, one for inactive. This could perhaps be indication that when a contact is offline, they get the grey icon, and when online, they get the blue icon. Fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll have anything more than text chat, either. Fingers crossed, indeed!
    01-24-13 12:42 PM
    I can understand why some people might think that Skype is not a big deal but it's what I use to talk to my parents everyday back home (international). I have it set up where they have a skype phone on their end and I can use either the pc or the mobile to contact them...if BB10 doesn't have it, it's going to be tough for me to switch to such a device...regardless of how badly I want it I don't know if other people are in the same boat as me but I'm rooting for skype to be on there from the get go...
    ralfyguy and bodjor like this.
    01-24-13 03:01 PM
    Any Im client can be used yahoo messenger, live messenger till its dead the list goes on and on. Never understood why everyone drools for Skype It doesn't offer anything others before it did. Besides It having. Cult like status like apple lol.

It's microsofts problem to bring it to bb10 anyways and since its on every device already rest assured it will be a surprise for launch.
    01-24-13 04:10 PM
    Any Im client can be used yahoo messenger, live messenger till its dead the list goes on and on. Never understood why everyone drools for Skype It doesn't offer anything others before it did. Besides It having. Cult like status like apple lol.

It's microsofts problem to bring it to bb10 anyways and since its on every device already rest assured it will be a surprise for launch.
    That's not true.

Skype is better than all of those IM clients when it comes to VoIP and Video Call quality.

The IM part of Skype is *not* why most people use it. Skype has traditionally been pretty bad with IM due to the way the network was designed. It's only massively improved because Microsoft moved Skype from a Peer-to-Peer network over to Windows Live Messenger's IM back-end (which is C/S, and exponentially better).

People use Skype because the VoIP calling is top notch. Their CODECs are ridiculously good and it sounds like HD Voice on any decent WiFi or Carrier Data connection. They use it because the Video Call is Cross-Platform and works well. You can transfer any type of file (which used to suck, but now that it's on WLM's backend, it's exponentially better) as well, which is not something iMessage or God forbid the built-in Talk client on Android can claim (in the case of the latter, you cannot send any files unless a third party app is used.

Skype is also not tied to a Social Network like Facebook's new VoIP or Google+ Hangouts. AT&T Blocks Google Talk VoIP and Video Calling on all of their Android devices so unless you're always at a WiFi hotspot that is not a reliable solution, short of rooting your phone and editing system files to remove the flag.

Then there's the International Calling thing, which companies like Yahoo! are discontinuing in their products.

Skype's desktop apps are also better than i.e. Google and Yahoo!'s. FaceTime and iMessage are tied to OSX and iOS.

When you're platform agnostic and offer good quality service, you become popular. That's the way it works.
    kazmi and bodjor like this.
    01-25-13 10:22 AM
    [QUOTE=n8ter#AC;7884368]That's not true.

Skype is better than all of those IM clients when it comes to VoIP and Video Call quality.

The IM part of Skype is *not* why most people use it. Skype has traditionally been pretty bad with IM due to the way the network was designed. It's only massively improved because Microsoft moved Skype from a Peer-to-Peer network over to Windows Live Messenger's IM back-end (which is C/S, and exponentially better).

People use Skype because the VoIP calling is top notch. Their CODECs are ridiculously good and it sounds like HD Voice on any decent WiFi or Carrier Data connection. They use it because the Video Call is Cross-Platform and works well. You can transfer any type of file (which used to suck, but now that it's on WLM's backend, it's exponentially better) as well, which is not something iMessage or God forbid the built-in Talk client on Android can claim (in the case of the latter, you cannot send any files unless a third party app is used.
    QUOTE]

I found your comments off-the-mark if you believe the words of Andrew and Paul Thurott (Microsoft "Expert") when they talked about Skype's codec and cross platform issues.

Look for Podcast "What the Tech" - Episode 149 (dated January 22, 2013).
    01-25-13 02:04 PM
37 12