So we have iPhone5 wimp8 and androids like DNA and siii.

Which black berry phone out now is closest to competing? Or is Bb10 the only chance BB has? People say they are outdated in many areas but how outdated?
    12-31-12 11:05 AM
    Highest end out now is 9900
    Can it compete? depends on what you want
    Can it compete in general? No

BB10 will put RIM on a more level playing field for competing
    12-31-12 11:11 AM
    It depends on what you want it for. Security wise and messaging wise, yes it can compete. Media consumption wise and user experience wise, no.
    12-31-12 11:24 AM
    I guess that leads to the question of what you want to use your phone for? A toy, or to get work done. So many ppl are happy with toys.

I find it surprising have much faster my BB is at sending and receiving e-mail, finding directions to places like movies, dinners, etc. And just getting the information that I want when I want it, with out the battery dieing before the days end. It works so much better for me when put up against the S3 or the iphone 4S. Which my friends have.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 11:33 AM
    I guess that leads to the question of what you want to use your phone for? A toy, or to get work done. So many ppl are happy with toys.

I find it surprising have much faster my BB is at sending and receiving e-mail, finding directions to places like movies, dinners, etc. And just getting the information that I want when I want it, with out the battery dieing before the days end. It works so much better for me when put up against the S3 or the iphone 4S. Which my friends have.

the communication ability of my blackberry is second to none. thats why i love it.
    unfortunately the other platforms do it reasonably well, whereas blackberry cant be as casual and fun as other platforms

But this is where BB10 will change things
    12-31-12 11:36 AM
    Though many consider the 9900 to be the flagship BlackBerry device, I personally opt for the Torch 9810. It has the same hardware as the 9900 but with a larger touchscreen and you still get the physical keyboard with the slider. The camera is excellent and can compete with most other phones. As others have stated, messaging is great and the browser is adequate though not on the par with the new iPhone 5 and android versions. The coming BB10 platform will move BlackBerry's to the head of the pack when it comes to browser experience and all things in mobile computing. Here's to a great opportunity in 2013 for RIM!
    ridemaster likes this.
    12-31-12 11:45 AM
    Though many consider the 9900 to be the flagship BlackBerry device, I personally opt for the Torch 9810. It has the same hardware as the 9900 but with a larger touchscreen and you still get the physical keyboard with the slider. The camera is excellent and can compete with most other phones. As others have stated, messaging is great and the browser is adequate though not on the par with the new iPhone 5 and android versions. The coming BB10 platform will move BlackBerry's to the head of the pack when it comes to browser experience and all things in mobile computing. Here's to a great opportunity in 2013 for RIM!
    i also have the 9810, but my friends 9900 is the better phone. but the camera on both phones are terrible compared to other phones. i still cant understand why they left NFC out of the 9810.
    i love the 9810 too, but the keyboard does not come close to a curves keyboard let alone the 9900
    but yeah BB10 will hopefully bring RIM back into the game
    12-31-12 11:48 AM
    As stated....depends what you use your phone for. IMO there are no other phones that compete with the 9900 or 9810 (I have a 9810)....but my priorities and requirements are different than others.

Also, to comment on the comment above about the poor camera in the 9810........huh? I would put my 9810 up against any phone camera. The 9900 is kinda crap (no autofocus), but the 9810 works very well.
    12-31-12 12:02 PM
    As stated....depends what you use your phone for. IMO there are no other phones that compete with the 9900 or 9810 (I have a 9810)....but my priorities and requirements are different than others.

Also, to comment on the comment above about the poor camera in the 9810........huh? I would put my 9810 up against any phone camera. The 9900 is kinda crap (no autofocus), but the 9810 works very well.
    my 9810 camera shots just look bad when compared to my other half's S2 shots. My flash is better however.
    the photo's arent bad, just not the same quality.

Though in hindsight, it may be the screen causing the issue....
    12-31-12 12:06 PM

Toys? Is t that what the porsch design is?
    darkehawke likes this.
    12-31-12 12:13 PM
    So we have iPhone5 wimp8 and androids like DNA and siii.

Which black berry phone out now is closest to competing? Or is Bb10 the only chance BB has? People say they are outdated in many areas but how outdated?
    Can you point me in the direction of a qwerty smartphone better then a 9900? It owns the qwerty segment.
    12-31-12 12:42 PM
    It owns the qwerty space....I'm there with u cause I love my keyboard, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking. If u need a keyboard, sure there really isn't any better option but I think for the average consumer, the 9900 isn't even on their radar.

In general, its my opinion that no, No current BB competes with newer handsets. I'm eagerly ready for a clean break from BBOS and think BB10 can't get here fast enough
    12-31-12 12:52 PM
    my 9810 camera shots just look bad when compared to my other half's S2 shots. My flash is better however.
    the photo's arent bad, just not the same quality.

Though in hindsight, it may be the screen causing the issue....
    How do you have it set? If you have it set to sport mode, quality can get grainy. If in auto or better yet portrait, you can get insane detail and quality. Use landscape for outdoors and you will get such a high res quality pic you can use it as a large screen saver on your desktop. I took one of Niagara Falls (front Canadian) side, and you can make out the details on the US side, photo looks like it was taken by a dedicated camera.
    12-31-12 01:30 PM