A work mate dropped his Blackberry tour down a flight of stairs of 12ft on to concrete and survived.

The phone apperntly went loppy for and hour or so and then reset to its factory settings and started up as normal, he has lost all the information stored on the internal memory but the phone is ok apart from scratches on the outer case.

Lucky or are they stronger then we think?
    04-13-10 01:11 PM
    Lucky? I'd say pretty unlucky.
    04-13-10 01:38 PM
    I would suspect some kind of damage inside. Memory doesn't just fail because the phone gets dropped, that's a physical reaction and could mean big problems in the near future.
    04-13-10 03:17 PM
    That reminds me of the time my buddies IPhone battery crapped out while providing the tunes around the campfire on July 4.

He was trying to swap wires in darkness to get the tunes back. My video light was plenty bright enough to get the job done.

When he finished, I shut it down and slipped it back into the holster.
    ... Except I missed and it hit the concrete floor.

It exploded into 3 pieces, much to buddies horror. I scooped up the battery and rear cover, snapped it back together and said

"No worries, they are tough" as it restarted

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 04:32 PM
    I dropped my Bold 9000 while on a 10 foot ladder. Hit a tile floor. I'd say the drop was about 8 feet. Phone worked fine.
    04-13-10 04:59 PM
    Accidental drops are why one should have an Otterbox Defender or equivalent!!!
    04-13-10 05:37 PM
    Meah, kiddy jumps! Mine went on a trip off the roof of a three story house about a week after I got it. Good thing I was standing at the peak when I dropped it. I don't think it would have had the momentum to sail over the driveway and land in the yard on the other side if I hadn't been. Put it back together, and it's still going strong a year later.
    04-13-10 07:07 PM
    I say lucky, which is why I have the OtterBox Defender.
    04-13-10 07:12 PM
    A work mate dropped his Blackberry tour down a flight of stairs of 12ft on to concrete and survived.

The phone apperntly went loppy for and hour or so and then reset to its factory settings and started up as normal, he has lost all the information stored on the internal memory but the phone is ok apart from scratches on the outer case.

Lucky or are they stronger then we think?
    Hmm...BlackBerry amnesia

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 08:24 PM
    I actually dropped my tour today too. Phone slipped out of my hands and fell down the center of the staircase onto a concrete floor. Drop was almost 4 stories, and the phone had a Body Glove case on it. No damage done, except to 1 of the corners on the case. Phone was still on, and is functioning perfectly. I think these tours might be slightly tougher than they first appear.
    04-13-10 10:12 PM
    I've dropped my Bold from a height of about 6 feet onto the streets of New Orleans before. Phone exploded into 3 pieces, but it worked fine once I put it back together. One year later and only a small dent in the bezel to show from the drop.
    04-14-10 08:14 AM
    I've dropped my Bold from a height of about 6 feet onto the streets of New Orleans before. Phone exploded into 3 pieces, but it worked fine once I put it back together. One year later and only a small dent in the bezel to show from the drop.
    I used to drop my 8820 all the damn time, I didnt have a case for it and that biotch was slippery as an eel. It did the same thing, 3 pieces, battery/cover and phone all in 3 different directions, I figure the battery cover and battery acted like crumple zone on cars, it allows a place for the energy to dissipate without doing much damage to the hardware itself.
    04-14-10 09:35 AM
    Speaking of dropping BlackBerry's. Mine hit concrete today. It was on my lap while getting out of the car.
    04-14-10 06:39 PM
    Speaking of dropping BlackBerry's. Mine hit concrete today. It was on my lap while getting out of the car.
    Word to the wise... Always check your lap before you get out of the car. That's how I killed the screen on my old Bold.

I still haven't learned though, already dropped my new one once the same way. Got a nice little ding on the chrome bezel for that one.
    04-14-10 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD