Hi everyone. I'm new here to the site, but I've had my curve for awhile now and I'm considering trading up to a storm.

I've found a few people on craigslist that are willing to take my curve plus some cash for their storm. However, a couple of things worry me.

PIN numbers. I have yet to PIN message anyone. So my current PIN has never been used since I got my phone new. However, if I swap with someone and get their PIN, will I now be bombarded with PIN messages from crazy people I don't know? Or since they will be taking my PIN, will it just go to them leaving me with a similar unused PIN messaging situation like I have now?

Contact info. How does one successfully swap all info and what phone to phone? I've been told it can be done via bluetooth or whatever, but I want to make sure I don't loose anything...birthdays, names, address's etc...in the process, nor do I want to give all this away to the other person. I first thought that Verizon could do this easily if I just met them at a store, but now it seems like that is going to cost us $20 apeice (according to the person i'm dealing with) and after reading some info here, it seems they only swap numbers and nothing else. So whats the proper way to do this?

Is there anything else i'm missing? Maybe i'm just barking up the wrong tree and shouldn't even do this?

Thanks everyone, sorry to be such a newb....
    06-16-09 02:10 PM
    Hi everyone. I'm new here to the site, but I've had my curve for awhile now and I'm considering trading up to a storm.

I've found a few people on craigslist that are willing to take my curve plus some cash for their storm. However, a couple of things worry me.

PIN numbers. I have yet to PIN message anyone. So my current PIN has never been used since I got my phone new. However, if I swap with someone and get their PIN, will I now be bombarded with PIN messages from crazy people I don't know? Or since they will be taking my PIN, will it just go to them leaving me with a similar unused PIN messaging situation like I have now?

Contact info. How does one successfully swap all info and what phone to phone? I've been told it can be done via bluetooth or whatever, but I want to make sure I don't loose anything...birthdays, names, address's etc...in the process, nor do I want to give all this away to the other person. I first thought that Verizon could do this easily if I just met them at a store, but now it seems like that is going to cost us $20 apeice (according to the person i'm dealing with) and after reading some info here, it seems they only swap numbers and nothing else. So whats the proper way to do this?

Is there anything else i'm missing? Maybe i'm just barking up the wrong tree and shouldn't even do this?

Thanks everyone, sorry to be such a newb....
    Well I'm no expert but I do know you can use Desktop Manager to transfer you info, contacts, etc... from phone to phone.

As far as the pin goes, I believe they are phone specific so they will get your pin and you will get theirs if you switch phone. This is a way to block unwanted instant BB messages.

Hope that helps
    06-16-09 02:23 PM
    all i am going to say is don't get the storm wait for the tour.
    06-16-09 02:33 PM
    To my understanding, the PIN number is not phone specific, you will need to call your carried and have them releast the pin on your Curve, and whomever you buy the Storm from will have to do the same. From there, you should be able to go into a Verizon store and get a new PIN number... at least, that's how I've been told it works.

As far as transferring your contacts, hook your Curve to Desktop Manager, and create a backup file, which you should be able to load into your Storm thru the Desktop Manager. I believe this can be done thru the Switch Devices menu, but I've never done it, so I'm not exactly sure. Just make sure you have an updated backup file before wiping your Curve!!

My advice... stay with the Curve, I like it better than the Storm, just my opinion.
    06-16-09 02:47 PM
    WELCOME TO CB

Right now, there's a competition in full swing with 8 contenders trying to win this month's theme contest.

It's open to vote and it'd be nice to see some of you visit the polls!

Anyway, PLEASE PLACE YOUR VOTE! Voting ends at the end of the month...

enjoy!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f129/ju...-thread-248898
    06-16-09 03:04 PM
    Thanks for the help/advice everyone. I guess I offered too much cash..(100) plus my curve or something, cause everyone and their brother is interested.

As for reasoning, one is I want to try the touchscreen, but i also may have to spend some time outside the country, and thestorm could help me in both respects. Because im so close to my next NE2 discount, swapping doesn't kill that and if i don't like the storm or want a storm 2 or tour (assuming they come out by early next year) ill only have to deal with it for a few months...
    06-16-09 10:30 PM
    Well I made the plunge and got me the storm. Was kinda a pain as I seem to have lost all my birthday/anniversary contact info. But I should be able to figure that all out...again....I hope.

Maybe I can load in my backup of contacts from my curve....assuming it kept all that stuff lol.
    06-17-09 01:13 PM
    lol.... new here too and have been through the "want to transfer everything" problem before, usually it is easy enough though and sounds like you managed most of it.
    06-17-09 01:35 PM
    Ahh yes, the backup file I made off my curve before I got the storm worked perfectly when I restored it to the storm. So I didn't lose the birthday info like I thought I might!
    06-19-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD