I am not a big fan of Symbian and the way it is laid out, but I cannot stand the Tiles in WP7. I also cannot stand that the platform comes without so much in 2011. I know they are promising it, but people gave so much **** to Apple for not having cop/paste for so long, and what does MS do? They release a platform that not only has no copy/paste at launch, it also has no multitasking. I also believe you can only change the tiles between two colors. No wallpapers or anything allowed. That would bore the **** out of me, and was one of the reasons I always use to jailbreak my iPhones. The Office suite seems nice though.

If you ever want to try a Symbian device though, you'd have to order one from Nokia. If so, I recommend the N8. I have heard nothing but good responses from those who enjoy Symbian, and the camera on this thing is incredible.

Nokia USA - N8 smartphone - Features from mobile internet to HDTV
    The tiles in WP7 are actually really good. It's fine to not like them, but you're sounding really ridiculous bashing the platform because you don't like hte way the tiles look. Blackberries don't look that good (themed or not), but people use them because they like the way they function.

The N8 was reviewed poorly and Nokia sells that device for a premium even though the hardware isn't that good (aside from the ridiculously good Camera on it) and the software is embarassing. There's a reason why Symbian is on Life Support. I've used one. The only thing worth a damn on it is the fact that they ship with a decent amount of storage and the camera is almost DSLR quality. The software is bad. The email client sucks. The browser sucks. The screen resolution sucks. The Symbian OS just sucks. Nokia should have dedicated a good 6 months or so to just working on the Symbian UI. It's like Windows Mobile on a Touch Screen (think HD2), and we all know that while it was nice to see in a commercial or on YouTube, using the actual device is just not as efficient as using something like iOS/WP7/Android. Blackberry has the same issues on Touchscreen devices (it was designed for Trackwheel/ball/pad and physical keyboards). This is why the Torch uses a trackball (after the Storm/Storm2 "experiment").

Unless you're a feature freak (and you complain about features not there, even though you have no use for them), then there isn't much to dislike about WP7. I sent my Bold 9780 back and got an HD7. Best decision ever.
    Last edited by N8ter; 02-23-11 at 12:19 AM.
    02-23-11 12:15 AM
    The tiles in WP7 are actually really good. It's fine to not like them, but you're sounding really ridiculous bashing the platform because you don't like hte way the tiles look. Blackberries don't look that good (themed or not), but people use them because they like the way they function.

The N8 was reviewed poorly and Nokia sells that device for a premium even though the hardware isn't that good (aside from the ridiculously good Camera on it) and the software is embarassing. There's a reason why Symbian is on Life Support. I've used one. The only thing worth a damn on it is the fact that they ship with a decent amount of storage and the camera is almost DSLR quality. The software is bad. The email client sucks. The browser sucks. The screen resolution sucks. The Symbian OS just sucks. Nokia should have dedicated a good 6 months or so to just working on the Symbian UI. It's like Windows Mobile on a Touch Screen (think HD2), and we all know that while it was nice to see in a commercial or on YouTube, using the actual device is just not as efficient as using something like iOS/WP7/Android. Blackberry has the same issues on Touchscreen devices (it was designed for Trackwheel/ball/pad and physical keyboards). This is why the Torch uses a trackball (after the Storm/Storm2 "experiment").

Unless you're a feature freak (and you complain about features not there, even though you have no use for them), then there isn't much to dislike about WP7. I sent my Bold 9780 back and got an HD7. Best decision ever.
    Since I'm looking for something to really like I've already decided my next phone is going to be the ip5 or s3, whatever drops first. Hopefully it will be the s3. At the time either of them drop, I'll be ready for an upgrade.
    02-23-11 06:26 AM
    As far as I know, there is barely ANY customization for WP7. Some apps get tiles and some don't. All I know is you can change the tile color within the options, but there are only 2 or 3 colors to pick from. I know WP7 has been hacked and maybe the hacking community will provide themes, but currently, there are none officially. I know MS is letting Nokia have a little freedom with WP7, so maybe their design wont suck as much. I can pretty much guarantee the build quality will be great though.

If that's the case then I'm OK waiting for the Dell Lightning, however long it takes. I'm not keen on hacking so I wouldn't be doing that.
    It's OK....there is no great hurry. And I want to give my wallet a break to recover after the Torch 2, the Bold Touch, the Apollo, the iP5...let the Lightning release when it wants. Something's got to give...
    02-23-11 07:13 AM
    I actually send my 9780 back and got an HD7 with the promotion. The OS is really good. I think people who are discounting it based on "features" are doing it a bit of a disservice.
    Overall, I do not like the OS. I do not need the fancy animations, I do not like the tiles, and I need the features it is missing.

But I have two phones, so I don't have to complain about WP7. I can use WP7 for what it does well (everything it does) and just fill in the gaps with my Vibrant.
    So basically the Vibrant does everything the HD7 can do and more, but you just like the HD7.

Though, I must say I haven't found a need to use my Vibrant since getting the HD7. Conclusions should be made from real-world use, not FUD form some random review, blog, or forum posts.
    That means you don't have a use for everything Android has to offer. I didn't make a conclusion from a blog, I made a conclusion from my use with my friends Samsung, and my use of the devices in stores.

WP7 has a real IMDb app, btw, and probably the fastest browser in any smartphone OS.
    On WiFi, my DX with flash enabled and my iPhone 4 beat my friends Samsung. All were on WiFi. It has one of the fastest browsers yes, but from what I've seen, not the fastest.
    02-23-11 12:26 PM
    The tiles in WP7 are actually really good. It's fine to not like them, but you're sounding really ridiculous bashing the platform because you don't like hte way the tiles look.
    How is that ridiculous when there is NO way to get rid of them or change them? Some people do not like iOS because it is just a bunch of icons on your homescreens.

So if I don't like the Tiles, I can't like the platform, because so many things are based off the Tiles. I fail to see how this is ridiculous. The platform is very smooth, but I do not like the overall look and feel.

Blackberries don't look that good (themed or not), but people use them because they like the way they function.
    There are plenty of themes for BBs I would chose over WP7 tiles. Actually I would rather have a BB than a WP7 device, and I do not like BB OS the way it is currently.

Like I said I do not really like Symbian, but it offers more features than WP7 at this point.

I have a use for multitasking, I have a use for copy and paste, I have a use for my HDMI out on my DX, I have a use for the majority of the features my smartphones have to offer. WP7 does not offer the features I use the most. The main one being multitasking. That is a deal breaker and the reason I have left the iPhone in the past (even though I was jailbroken and had real multitasking). I guess I am a feature freak. I make use of what I have.
    02-23-11 12:33 PM
    Seriously..how did you screw up Tucker's quote? Twice? He said people STILL pay $10 for weather..which they do..its called Berryweather. Nowhere was there reference to Apple..seeings how this whole thread is about Appworld making money..which they will when people pay that kind of money for weather..
    I'm really getting a stiff weather vane for this $10 app....
    02-23-11 10:30 PM
    How is that ridiculous when there is NO way to get rid of them or change them? Some people do not like iOS because it is just a bunch of icons on your homescreens.

So if I don't like the Tiles, I can't like the platform, because so many things are based off the Tiles. I fail to see how this is ridiculous. The platform is very smooth, but I do not like the overall look and feel.

There are plenty of themes for BBs I would chose over WP7 tiles. Actually I would rather have a BB than a WP7 device, and I do not like BB OS the way it is currently.

Like I said I do not really like Symbian, but it offers more features than WP7 at this point.

I have a use for multitasking, I have a use for copy and paste, I have a use for my HDMI out on my DX, I have a use for the majority of the features my smartphones have to offer. WP7 does not offer the features I use the most. The main one being multitasking. That is a deal breaker and the reason I have left the iPhone in the past (even though I was jailbroken and had real multitasking). I guess I am a feature freak. I make use of what I have.
    So basically:

"I don't like tiles, and I want x, y, and z; so the fact is that WP7 sucks!" (read the post I originally replied to, and you subsequent posts to see how I've arrived at this conclusion).
    02-24-11 05:34 PM
    So basically:

"I don't like tiles, and I want x, y, and z; so the fact is that WP7 sucks!" (read the post I originally replied to, and you subsequent posts to see how I've arrived at this conclusion).
    I don't know where my opinion got lost in this, but that is just it, it's my opinion. For me, WP7 sucks and I would not buy it. In the first post you quoted me it specifically says "The way WP7 is right now I would never buy it". I even listed reasons why I wouldn't. Without those features I use and NEED, the OS is absolutely useless for me. Therefor, the OS is not worth it to me until it can do basic features that are included in every other mobile OS out.

Is that more clear? I think the OS is very fast and smooth. But it would be a waste of my time and money if I tried using that as a daily device, or even to have as a backup.
    02-24-11 06:16 PM

10Char
    02-25-11 06:58 AM
    That was very useful.
    02-25-11 01:37 PM
    I considered a Windows Phone. I've since purchased stuff and locked myself into RIM's ecosystem. I don't want Android, and I hate iPhone with a passion. Both are good platforms, as is Windows Phone, but none of them SUIT ME. I'm a boring old guy who likes to send instant messages and likes to have quick response to communications (rarely email). Therefore BlackBerry suits me best. With a couple of accessories, my BlackBerry got all the functionality I wanted. I don't want to leave BlackBerry. By all means call me a fanboy, but I'm happy with what I use. All 3rd party apps for BlackBerry could be permanently blocked, and I'd still use BlackBerry because it has the functionality I need from RIM's apps.
    02-25-11 03:50 PM
    I considered a Windows Phone. I've since purchased stuff and locked myself into RIM's ecosystem. I don't want Android, and I hate iPhone with a passion. Both are good platforms, as is Windows Phone, but none of them SUIT ME. I'm a boring old guy who likes to send instant messages and likes to have quick response to communications (rarely email). Therefore BlackBerry suits me best. With a couple of accessories, my BlackBerry got all the functionality I wanted. I don't want to leave BlackBerry. By all means call me a fanboy, but I'm happy with what I use. All 3rd party apps for BlackBerry could be permanently blocked, and I'd still use BlackBerry because it has the functionality I need from RIM's apps.
    I didn't know I had a twin, I feel and view all of this excessivness as overkill. I have asked myself how much is enough. I too am happy with what the BLACKBERRY does.
    02-26-11 10:57 AM
    LOL, that Verizon commercial for the Thunderbolt is a great example. It doesn't show anything the phone can do, its just that its SO POWERFUL!!

I can't wait to see all of the "OMG, 4G overage charges!" threads when people get all that speed
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-26-11 01:31 PM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD