Wow, only 25 weather apps in Appworld, we are seriously missing out here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    How'd you get 25? I got 50....
    02-20-11 12:18 PM
    oh no.....i have to get MoonTalk. I'd make my Wiccan friends happy if I know the dates for the phases...

OMG!!!! We have a Daily Hair Cast!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!
    02-20-11 12:20 PM
    Give me a break. That is so customizable....2,161 different looks for your weather app choice. I think we are starting to see why android has so many apps. By the way the Saskatchewan comment, you know the class based slam that suggested your a high roller and the guy who made you look dumb on the forum pumps gas...weak, very weak.
    Im not sure how he made me look dumb..considering he failed to "enlighten" me as I asked him to. This shows me he either couldn't..or wasn't willing. So when someone says "Your dumb"..but fails to back it up with any reasoning..generally that's an indication of who's "dumb". So if the "man with two first names" cares to enlighten me..im all ears.

EDIT: And if this whole thing is boiling down to "quality over quantity"..never have I disputed that nor disagreed with it. I for one don't care how many apps a platform has..as long as they have what suits my needs (the same goes for phones).
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-20-11 at 12:51 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-20-11 12:22 PM
    How'd you get 25? I got 50....
    UK seems to get less apps.

My bad, I got 25 when I searched for "weather", there's 50 if you go trough the menu.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-20-11 at 12:43 PM.
    02-20-11 12:34 PM
    UK seems to get less apps.

My bad, I got 25 when I searched for "weather", there's 50 if you go trough the menu.
    From Canada, with a Torch, a see 47 in the AW Weather category. 12 are free. That's not bad.
    There were 12 free, 4 for 99�, 5 for $2.99, 5 for $3.99-4.99.

Yes, there are several weather and navigation apps that are US-only or NA-only.

One point about the $10 / BW argument. I don't know how popular BW is. I know it's very popular on CB, but not in general. Many on here get excited/jealous of others' screenshots and end up with a more expensive weather app. Same with an app like MeterBerry. How popular outside of CB members is it? No idea�
    02-20-11 02:26 PM
    I'd not thought about MeterBerry until I was having memory leaks with my 9000. I'd always bought WB because of my travels.

02-20-11 02:41 PM
    meterberry and Berryweather are consistently in the top apps (paid) i think so that is how the rest of the world outside of CB know and use them
    02-20-11 10:04 PM
    I think Berry Weather is worth the price though.. I loved that app when I had a BB
    02-20-11 10:54 PM
    Its understandable that you don't grasp WHY Appworld makes money..being from Saskatchewan and all. Its like trying to get the guy who pumps the gas to explain why fuel prices always go up..
    You're embarassing yourself now.

02-21-11 09:47 AM
    Yes, I really do hate Android as a platform, it's no secret, I've said it many times. Yes, I have the IMDB app to which you refer, and I have no problem with it. Yes, I am going to buy the iPhone 5 when it comes out. I really love Safari, always have and always said so. I returned the 3GS because of the horrendous battery life, the lack of multitasking and the non user replaceable battery. But....they're improving the multitasking somewhat, they've improved the battery life. And I realised what I did wrong in the first place....why not carry both?

Because....here it goes....I L-O-V-E my BBerries, all of them, one after the other. The day they begin to fail me in what I want will be the day I go all iOS. I will absolutely carry a BB as long as they make ME happy. And that, they do.

By the way, I'd also waited for the Dell Lightning....whatever happened to it????

so...here it goes....want to label me? then I'm a Blackberry/upcoming Apple/WM fangirl who detests Android and WebOS.

Just to keep things clear.....
    I would expect a launcher app to work extremely well when all it does is open up your browser and launch the website (iOS have a REAL IMDB app, which is free). Unless they actually made it an real app now? I was just pointing out that it is a completely USELESS app that is paid for. It is just funny because every time a someone brings up a useless iOS or Android app ont his site, they are usually talking about a free app.

And I have no need to label you. I just find it funny that you have that much hate for a platform.

The way WP7 is right now I would never buy it. I'd rather have Symbian. It does more.
    02-21-11 04:18 PM
    From Canada, with a Torch, a see 47 in the AW Weather category. 12 are free. That's not bad.
    There were 12 free, 4 for 99�, 5 for $2.99, 5 for $3.99-4.99.

Yes, there are several weather and navigation apps that are US-only or NA-only.

One point about the $10 / BW argument. I don't know how popular BW is. I know it's very popular on CB, but not in general. Many on here get excited/jealous of others' screenshots and end up with a more expensive weather app. Same with an app like MeterBerry. How popular outside of CB members is it? No idea�

I see 34 weather apps in the menu on my Storm2. Must be device compatibility apps.
    02-21-11 05:47 PM
    No offense, but if you don't know jack crap about other platforms then please shut up. It's pretty pathetic the only thing you know is Blackberry; quite possibly the worst platform there is in the market today. It's a nightmare to develop for (hence the lack of Apps) and for the most part, the developers are greedy people trying to exploit the "professional" consumer market.

I cannot believe somebody would defend a platform so much, yet know absolutely nothing about anything else. You like BB because you lack the knowledge of anything else, and you will continue to be a simpleton who follows a dying company.
    Oh please... come off it. If they're a dying company, why in heaven's name are they continuing to eat Android's lunch in the UK when there's like 5x more Android phones out in the UK than BlackBerrys. Dying company my deriaire! BlackBerrys continue to be activated at an incredible rate over here.
    02-21-11 05:50 PM
    No offense, but if you don't know jack crap about other platforms then please shut up. It's pretty pathetic the only thing you know is Blackberry; quite possibly the worst platform there is in the market today. It's a nightmare to develop for (hence the lack of Apps) and for the most part, the developers are greedy people trying to exploit the "professional" consumer market.

I cannot believe somebody would defend a platform so much, yet know absolutely nothing about anything else. You like BB because you lack the knowledge of anything else, and you will continue to be a simpleton who follows a dying company.
    You're quite ignorant. Out of all the platforms out there, the only one I have not laid a finger to is Nokia. I have not *bought* an Android device but I've used them enough to know I don't like them. And I just spent one week in L.A. dealing with an employee who spent the entire week looking for a power source to juice up his phone while we were in a software upgrade. Quite inconvenient. I have owned Palm, WM, iOS and Blackberry. So quit talking about things YOU don't know anything about. As to it being "the worst platform out there" that is 1) your subjective opinion and 2) of no relevance to me since it's perfect for my desires/wants.

So before you post about anyone else's awareness of a platform, get your facts straight. Otherwise you give full evidence of the ignorant simpleton you are.

Finally, show me where in the world there is a law that compels all smartphone users to kneel at the altar of the little robot, because try as I might, I find no such law. I DON'T LIKE ANDROID from what I've seen of it. Where is it that I MUST like it? Further, why should you give a flying fig about what I like or don't like? You like it? Have at it! use it! enjoy it in good healt! I won't buy one. Who the h3ll cares if I don't? I't only my inconsequential $200. Go concern yourself with something of real importance....like the 6.3 earthquake in NZ where 60+ people died. THAT's important.

oh, and if the platform is soooo horrible, why would you go back to it?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/admi...3/#post4851994
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-22-11 at 01:02 PM.
    02-22-11 04:06 AM
    I would expect a launcher app to work extremely well when all it does is open up your browser and launch the website (iOS have a REAL IMDB app, which is free). Unless they actually made it an real app now? I was just pointing out that it is a completely USELESS app that is paid for. It is just funny because every time a someone brings up a useless iOS or Android app ont his site, they are usually talking about a free app.

And I have no need to label you. I just find it funny that you have that much hate for a platform.

The way WP7 is right now I would never buy it. I'd rather have Symbian. It does more.
    Oh, what I meant is that I didn't have a problem with the IMDB app/laucher...whatever. If I want it, I buy it. It's OK for me. I guess I'll see the difference between the two when I buy in iP5.

Yah....I'm kinda anti-Android. And at this point it's become a reaction, really, to certain people on this site. Not you, not Rick...we can have disagreements but I'd still take you out for a pint or two. But there are some, the the id1ot who posted that I didn't know any other platforms....those are the ones that are causing me to react negatively now to Android. It used to be the platform itself, now it's some of the people who just......well, whatever.

I WANT a Symbian phone!!!! It's the one platform I've yet to lay hold of.
    02-22-11 04:16 AM
    You're quite ignorant. Out of all the platforms out there, the only one I have not laid a finger to is Nokia. I have not *bought* an Android device but I've used them enough to know I don't like them. And I just spent one week in L.A. dealing with an employee who spent the entire week looking for a power source to juice up his phone while we were in a software upgrade. Quite inconvenient. I have owned Palm, WM, iOS and Blackberry. So quit talking about things YOU don't know anything about. As to it being "the worst platform on the planet" that is 1) your subjective opinion and 2) of no relevance to me since it's perfect for my desires/wants.

So before you post about anyone else's awareness of a platform, get your facts straight. Otherwise you give full evidence of the ignorant simpleton you are.

Finally, show me where in the world there is a law that compels all smartphone users to kneel at the altar of the little robot, because try as I might, I find no such law. I DON'T LIKE ANDROID from what I've seen of it. Where is it that I MUST like it? Further, why should you give a flying fig about what I like or don't like? You like it? Have at it! use it! enjoy it in good healt! I won't buy one. Who the h3ll cares if I don't? I't only my inconsequential $200. Go concern yourself with something of real importance....like the 6.3 earthquake in NZ where 60+ people died. THAT's important.
    It makes me wonder, with all the sensors built in mobile phones these days, could an app be created to sense tremors before earthquakes, maybe if a load of them are connected to a central program that could alert people. A few seconds could make all the difference.

02-22-11 04:20 AM
    I have a friend who's a seismologist at CalTech - she's quite well known, we have dogs who are littermates - and that's what she's been talking about for years. The problem is getting the prediction to be reliable. That's their big focus, once they have that the actual communication will be simple.
    02-22-11 04:30 AM
    I have a friend who's a seismologist at CalTech - she's quite well known, we have dogs who are littermates - and that's what she's been talking about for years. The problem is getting the prediction to be reliable. That's their big focus, once they have that the actual communication will be simple.
    With a lot of handsets spread across the country a direction of a tremor could be more obvious and predict an earthquake more accurate me thinks.

02-22-11 04:34 AM
    Oh yes, the notification is not a problem. but notification of a quake as it's happening is really not as helpful as being able to give people warning ahead of time, in the same manner as tornado warnings.
    Once the wave hits the time that it would take for notification to reach someone ahead of the subsequent "ripples" is really a few seconds. The real key, where the research is focused, is in prediction. Ironically, the University of Havana predicted the Haiti quake, but that was based on analysis of data and not on actual prediction of imminent movement.

OK, we've gone off topic and we will get flamed....
    02-22-11 04:39 AM
    Oh, what I meant is that I didn't have a problem with the IMDB app/laucher...whatever. If I want it, I buy it. It's OK for me. I guess I'll see the difference between the two when I buy in iP5.
    I understand. You will see the difference though because it is an actual app, it doesn't just launch the IMDB website. IMO it is a little more convenient, especially if it was on a BB due to the browsing experience (I know it is better but still not on par) not being that great.

Yah....I'm kinda anti-Android. And at this point it's become a reaction, really, to certain people on this site. Not you, not Rick...we can have disagreements but I'd still take you out for a pint or two. But there are some, the the id1ot who posted that I didn't know any other platforms....those are the ones that are causing me to react negatively now to Android. It used to be the platform itself, now it's some of the people who just......well, whatever.
    I understand. Some people ruin it for others. I once did not buy a pair of sneakers that I really liked, because I knew someone who I do not like bought them. I guess the same kinda applies here for you as well.

I WANT a Symbian phone!!!! It's the one platform I've yet to lay hold of.
    I am not a big fan of Symbian and the way it is laid out, but I cannot stand the Tiles in WP7. I also cannot stand that the platform comes without so much in 2011. I know they are promising it, but people gave so much **** to Apple for not having cop/paste for so long, and what does MS do? They release a platform that not only has no copy/paste at launch, it also has no multitasking. I also believe you can only change the tiles between two colors. No wallpapers or anything allowed. That would bore the **** out of me, and was one of the reasons I always use to jailbreak my iPhones. The Office suite seems nice though.

If you ever want to try a Symbian device though, you'd have to order one from Nokia. If so, I recommend the N8. I have heard nothing but good responses from those who enjoy Symbian, and the camera on this thing is incredible.

Nokia USA - N8 smartphone - Features from mobile internet to HDTV
    02-22-11 03:31 PM
    I *almost* got one from the Dell site!!! I was there trying to figure out whatever happened to the Dell Lightning, which was one of the phones I was stalking. I agree with you, I hate the tiles too....

Let me check out the N8....

Wait, what about themes? Aren't there themes on W7? There were on WM, and I used to get them periodically, from AT&T and the Microsoft site.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-22-11 at 05:00 PM.
    02-22-11 04:46 PM
    Never used a Nokia device before..and the N8 looks (for lack of a better word) do-able. I'm not really a fan of the form factor of it..but the hardware looks to be ok (other than the processor..but i'd have to real world test it before I made judgements). It's a nice option that it comes in a variety of colors..which is something that you don't see very often anymore. I'd be curious to try it out just for the sake of playing with it..but I don't ever see myself buying one (and i'm not even sure if they're available from the carriers here in Canada anyways..)
    02-22-11 05:08 PM
    I'm very curious.....it's the one that I kept hoping would come to AT&T recently.
    02-22-11 05:18 PM
    I *almost* got one from the Dell site!!! I was there trying to figure out whatever happened to the Dell Lightning, which was one of the phones I was stalking. I agree with you, I hate the tiles too....

Let me check out the N8....

Wait, what about themes? Aren't there themes on W7? There were on WM, and I used to get them periodically, from AT&T and the Microsoft site.
    As far as I know, there is barely ANY customization for WP7. Some apps get tiles and some don't. All I know is you can change the tile color within the options, but there are only 2 or 3 colors to pick from. I know WP7 has been hacked and maybe the hacking community will provide themes, but currently, there are none officially. I know MS is letting Nokia have a little freedom with WP7, so maybe their design wont suck as much. I can pretty much guarantee the build quality will be great though.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-22-11 at 05:28 PM.
    02-22-11 05:26 PM
    It grew at 360% using developer tools that you say generate no enthusiasm.

Your numbers have no frame of reference, so I will kindly ignore them until you make your post make a lick of sense.
    02-22-11 11:53 PM

I actually send my 9780 back and got an HD7 with the promotion. The OS is really good. I think people who are discounting it based on "features" are doing it a bit of a disservice.

But I have two phones, so I don't have to complain about WP7. I can use WP7 for what it does well (everything it does) and just fill in the gaps with my Vibrant.

Though, I must say I haven't found a need to use my Vibrant since getting the HD7. Conclusions should be made from real-world use, not FUD form some random review, blog, or forum posts.

WP7 has a real IMDb app, btw, and probably the fastest browser in any smartphone OS. Properly coded apps suspend and resume properly, so that isn't much of an issue. Other than games, I haven't seen a need to download that many third party applications, because the OS itself comes with all the essentials (Office, OneNote, ActiveSync Support, Great Browser, YouTube App (on HTC), Zune, FM Radio,

The WP7 Marketplace will pass up the Blackberry App World in App Count in short order.
    02-23-11 12:10 AM
113 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD