Jesus, people are crazy!

I had at one time over 50 apps on my 9700...didn't use 95% of them...what is crazy, I had close to a 100 as I was that friggin bored when I had my Android mytouch...barely used majority of those either.

I have the ones I need and besides berrybuzz, they are all free and amazingly enough get me through my day...because you know, we need our smartphones and awesome apps to make sure we can get through our days....*insert sarcasm as I am sure some will miss it.*

Get out more, ****! And yes, I know apps are huge on a phone...still baffles me! God forbid if we didn't have our smartphones huh?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-11 07:52 PM

I bought my iPhone and have plenty of money to spend on apps and I'm not rich.
    Top In-App Purchases
    1 BUCKET OF SMURFBERRIES $4.99
    2 BUSHEL OF SMURFBERRIES $9.99
    3 BARREL OF SMURFBERRIES $24.99
    4 BUCKET OF SMURFBERRIES $4.99
    5 BUSHEL OF SMURFBERRIES $11.99
    6 WAGON OF SMURFBERRIES $99.99
    7 WHEELBARROW OF SMURFBERRIES $49.99
    8 WHEELBARROW OF SMURFBERRIES $59.99
    9 BARREL OF SMURFBERRIES $29.99
    02-17-11 10:10 PM
    Much as we like to bash RIM's implementation of their BlackBerry App World store, they aren't doing that bad in the monetization department. It's not easy making arrangements to collect payments internationally, over credit card, PayPal and carrier billing. RIM can accept payments from a fair number of countries through multiple methods. Moreover, it appears PayPal still has better reach than Google's Checkout, still Google's primary method of payment.
    02-17-11 10:24 PM
    Much is made of BlackBerry's lack of applications and how that's the sign they cannot compete in today's smartphone world. Yet, recent research shows that RIM has the number two platform in terms of revenue.

While Apple is the dominant store with almost $1.8 billion in revenue, RIM comes in second with $165 million. Nokia is third with $105 million and placing fourth is Android with $102 million.

For RIM to bring in more revenue than Android which has twelve times the number of applications is rather impressive. And shows that sometimes perception does not match up with reality.

With WebWorks recently released and the PlayBook soon to hit the market, things are only looking positive for RIM and their App World.
    20k Apps sounds good until you look at how slow the App Store is growing. That's the issue with AppWorld. It isn't growing. It will grow some with the release of the playbook, and it may grow a bit more with the release of QNX blackberries.

But there are like 4 other major platforms (iOS, Android, WP7, WebOS). How many developers will wait around for QNX on BB smartphones?

TL;DR: The issue isn't really the amount of apps in AppWorld, it's the lack of growth in the app market and the lack of enthusiasm in the developer community towards blackberry.
    02-17-11 11:29 PM
    facebook on iphone i thought was pretty good. Androids isnt quite as good as RIMs though. For me it would go

iphone
    RIM
    Android
    Android's Facebook App is better than RIM's. It has integrated Facebook Chat with Push Notifications (C2DM). RIM's apps are pretty terrible, but they get the job done. The only really good thing about them is how fast you get notifications from Social Networks on Blackberries using them. Same as the IM clients. They're pretty bad, but you get stuff pushed to you quickly using little battery power, so it's worth it unless you're willing to pay for an IM client like BeejiveIM or Trillian.

TBQH, it's hard to compare RIM's BB Social Network apps to their compatriots on iOS/Android/WP7 because they almost seem like different types of Applications. Those Facebook/Twitter-developed apps are superior to RIM's in every way except Notifications.

And yes, AppWorld is quite expensive. It's about as bad as Windows Mobile's Marketplace was, and part of the reason that never took off that well was because app pricing there. RIM is obviously going to make a lot because they have a large volume of phones out in the wild. When you compare their volume to Apple's, their numbers look less impressive.

Ovi and Android market numbers are not impressive at all, but those OSes marketplaces seem filled primarily with free apps from what I've seen.
    02-17-11 11:33 PM
    Much as we like to bash RIM's implementation of their BlackBerry App World store, they aren't doing that bad in the monetization department. It's not easy making arrangements to collect payments internationally, over credit card, PayPal and carrier billing. RIM can accept payments from a fair number of countries through multiple methods. Moreover, it appears PayPal still has better reach than Google's Checkout, still Google's primary method of payment.
    Android support's carrier billing.
    02-17-11 11:35 PM
    I just used an app for this trip that I'd never used before...BB Travel. Pretty useful. Free. Downright stoked right now...with that, Poynt and Google Maps I'm set for Reno in two weeks.

02-18-11 07:05 AM
    I just used an app for this trip that I'd never used before...BB Travel. Pretty useful. Free. Downright stoked right now...with that, Poynt and Google Maps I'm set for Reno in two weeks.

Agree, just got BB Travel and uploaded my itinerary (Vegas 2 weeks, lol). A great tool. Flights, hotels, all confirmation numbers at my fingertips. Leave paper at home.

Hope I don't drop my S2,
    02-18-11 08:33 AM
    20k Apps sounds good until you look at how slow the App Store is growing. That's the issue with AppWorld. It isn't growing. It will grow some with the release of the playbook, and it may grow a bit more with the release of QNX blackberries.

But there are like 4 other major platforms (iOS, Android, WP7, WebOS). How many developers will wait around for QNX on BB smartphones?

TL;DR: The issue isn't really the amount of apps in AppWorld, it's the lack of growth in the app market and the lack of enthusiasm in the developer community towards blackberry.
    It grew at 360% using developer tools that you say generate no enthusiasm.

02-19-11 12:54 AM
    There's a couple of Adobe AIR apps I've been using on my laptop, if they will run on the PB, that is solid gold...
    02-19-11 12:58 AM
    02-19-11 01:03 AM
    Very interesting numbers. You'd believe otherwise regarding Android apps, with all those post spouting all about the preeminence of Android.....love to see them so far behind Apple.
    02-19-11 09:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I just downloaded it.

02-19-11 09:57 AM
    Very interesting numbers. You'd believe otherwise regarding Android apps, with all those post spouting all about the preeminence of Android.....love to see them so far behind Apple.
    With so many good and great free apps, of course the revenue numbers will look like crap.

Posted from my Evo at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat likes this.
    02-19-11 03:01 PM
    With so many good and great free apps, of course the revenue numbers will look like crap.

Posted from my Evo at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And let us not forget that on this platform, people regularly pay $10 for weather.
    02-19-11 03:24 PM
    And let us not forget that on this platform, people regularly pay $10 for weather.
    Very true sir, very true.
    02-19-11 03:55 PM
    This should help take things up a notch:

I am really excited about the upcoming BlackBerry PlayBook Native C/C++ SDK since it will finally provide BlackBerry developers with some low level access to hardware. RIM seems to be targeting this SDK to game developers but I doubt it will stop at that unless RIM restricts it. As we mentioned yesterday this new SDK will provide developers with low level access to OpenGL 2.0, data storage, and networking along with other features directly. In other words all the cool stuff will happen at this level. There is a reason the Tetris and Need for Speed games EA made were created with this SDK. It lets developers tap the native QNX OS without a abstraction layer in the way.

We have been hearing rumors that this SDK is coming out soon and it looks like soon is VERY soon. It looks like RIM will be releasing the BlackBerry PlayBook Native SDK at the Game Developers Conference which starts on February 28th until March 4th. RIM used to hold a developer day at this conference but it looks like they won’t this year. On the other hand RIM will be having their own John Thomas, Manager of Handheld Software Product, give a session on developing with this BlackBerry PlayBook Native C/C++ SDK for games.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Native C/C++ SDK Coming At Game Developers Conference - BerryReview
    02-19-11 04:06 PM
    Who pays $10 for weather and where can I get a developers kit?
    02-19-11 04:11 PM
    Top In-App Purchases
    1 BUCKET OF SMURFBERRIES $4.99
    2 BUSHEL OF SMURFBERRIES $9.99
    3 BARREL OF SMURFBERRIES $24.99
    4 BUCKET OF SMURFBERRIES $4.99
    5 BUSHEL OF SMURFBERRIES $11.99
    6 WAGON OF SMURFBERRIES $99.99
    7 WHEELBARROW OF SMURFBERRIES $49.99
    8 WHEELBARROW OF SMURFBERRIES $59.99
    9 BARREL OF SMURFBERRIES $29.99
    So this proves that iPhone users have money? lol
    02-19-11 06:33 PM
    Because there are so many good free/cheap apps.

Wasn't the IMDB app in AppWorld a paid app that just launched the IMDB website?

You really hate Android huh? If this wasn't a BB website, you would come off as a huge Apple fangirl.
    02-19-11 06:38 PM
    Who pays $10 for weather and where can I get a developers kit?
    beweather or berryweather as it was called, is $10 and probably the best weather app there is on BB. I bought it half price but its is possible one of the best BB apps i have even seen.
    02-19-11 08:20 PM
    That's odd, because this poster's "facts" completely refute your "fact"...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/fac...phones-585715/

It's almost like they are both simply opinions...
    You quoted my thread in the iphone forum, so I respond. I continue to hold this opinion, because it's mine. The reason I said "the facebook app is most terrible on iphones" - comes from my point of view, because the damn thing crashes on me, and I hate the interface they made for it. While I have a Torch also, I think it works quite well, if we consider the hardware/software limitations of a Torch.
    You simply can't make a much better app for the Torch, than it is already, while for the iPhones, the Facebook app is horrible compared to the other apps I have tried (in the hundreds), and I simply can't stand the fact, that such a popular social site like Facebook would get away with a **** poor application, while other small no-name places design apps by understanding the capabilities of the OS and the iPhone hardware and uses them to create something unique and functional.

Again, the Facebook app alone doesn't mean the iPhone is a horrible platform to work on, but quite the opposite. It's the creators of the Facebook app to be blamed with being lazy and lacking of creativity and programming skills.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 02-19-11 at 09:23 PM.
    02-19-11 09:21 PM
    Show me Weatherbug for $10 on the Apple Store, which is the one I was comparing it to....all that eye rolling is not letting you read correctly.
    02-20-11 03:32 AM
    Show me Weatherbug for $10 on the Apple Store, which is the one I was comparing it to....all that eye rolling is not letting you read correctly.
    Qbn, it's not so much the eye rolling that is the problem, with the location of his cranium, the view is always the same, and why the posts have all the same, uhh, ambiance.

As far as apps go, if people need 250k, 100k apps, what they really need is a life.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-20-11 05:43 AM
    So people don't pay $10 for weather? My bad. What was I thinking?
    02-20-11 06:09 AM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD