Much is made of BlackBerry's lack of applications and how that's the sign they cannot compete in today's smartphone world. Yet, recent research shows that RIM has the number two platform in terms of revenue.

While Apple is the dominant store with almost $1.8 billion in revenue, RIM comes in second with $165 million. Nokia is third with $105 million and placing fourth is Android with $102 million.

For RIM to bring in more revenue than Android which has twelve times the number of applications is rather impressive. And shows that sometimes perception does not match up with reality.

With WebWorks recently released and the PlayBook soon to hit the market, things are only looking positive for RIM and their App World.
    rjshahan and i7guy like this.
    02-16-11 09:27 PM
    Much is made of BlackBerry's lack of applications and how that's the sign they cannot compete in today's smartphone world. Yet, recent research shows that RIM has the number two platform in terms of revenue.

While Apple is the dominant store with almost $1.8 billion in revenue, RIM comes in second with $165 million. Nokia is third with $105 million and placing fourth is Android with $102 million.

For RIM to bring in more revenue than Android which has twelve times the number of applications is rather impressive. And shows that sometimes perception does not match up with reality.

With WebWorks recently released and the PlayBook soon to hit the market, things are only looking positive for RIM and their App World.
    ^^^^^I can believe that, considering you have to pay for almost all of R.I.M's apps(not to mention the apps on bb are expensive)....You can find free apps on ios/android that are better than the top apps for blackberry.....Overall bb word is hot garbage compared to ios/android and they have a lot of catching up to do.....
    02-16-11 09:51 PM

Good post. I think there is a reason a lot of apps on itunes are .99. People shell out so much money for the iphone they have no cash to pay for the apps.

I think BB needs a few level apps and a few fart apps, that will make the app (w)hores happy.
    02-16-11 10:23 PM
    I'd be interested to see if androids totals include ad revenue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-16-11 10:24 PM
    I'd be interested to see if androids totals include ad revenue.

Never looked at the methodology but I would guess no. Ad revenue is a completely different business than revenue from the store itself. Which is something Google has realized as they've started a program to clear up some of the clutter in their marketplace.

But it also raises some issues for the future if Amazon and others go ahead with their own Android stores. Google could find itself developing an OS that doesn't drive revenue back to Google.
    02-16-11 10:31 PM
    ^^^^^I can believe that, considering you have to pay for almost all of R.I.M's apps(not to mention the apps on bb are expensive)....You can find free apps on ios/android that are better than the top apps for blackberry.....Overall bb word is hot garbage compared to ios/android and they have a lot of catching up to do.....
    Ellipses have only three dots.
    02-16-11 10:33 PM
    Ellipses have only three dots.
    ^^^^So, what's your point?
    02-16-11 11:15 PM
    Thanks for sharing this useful information with us.
    02-17-11 02:20 AM
    Yeah but I can't even get the apps I download from the store to work right. Tried to download the weather channel which used to work on my phone, then when I'd try to switch to 10 day forecast was getting errors about WiFi. I have a TOUR damnit.... their is no WiFi. Anyway I just hope that the quality of the Apps improves with these new, more capable Blackberries that will be released this spring/summer.
    02-17-11 06:21 AM
    When you charge on minimum aroud $5 for an app that others get for free..then of course you're going to generate more revenue. Look at Tether..$50?? Oh wait..I can get it on sale for $25 once in a while..high fives all around!! I'll take my free mobile hotspotting tyvm..
    02-17-11 08:27 AM
    When you charge on minimum aroud $5 for an app that others get for free..then of course you're going to generate more revenue. Look at Tether..$50?? Oh wait..I can get it on sale for $25 once in a while..high fives all around!! I'll take my free mobile hotspotting tyvm..
    There are several problems with your line of thinking.

02-17-11 10:54 AM
    Does that number include Themes?
    02-17-11 11:29 AM
    im sure it does include themes
    02-17-11 11:38 AM
    Pretty surprising, considering the quality of apps is on BB is third-world compared to Android and iPhone apps. BB apps also include themes and website launchers in that 20,000 number.
    02-17-11 12:52 PM
    Pretty surprising, considering the quality of apps is on BB is third-world compared to Android and iPhone apps. BB apps also include themes and website launchers in that 20,000 number.
    Yeah a bunch of useless stuff and things that aren't even apps. Everything else is overpriced and under-performing.
    02-17-11 01:56 PM
    You'll be hard-pressed to get someone to buy your iPhone app for $5 when someone else will just steal your idea and undercut your price or make a free version. I've never bought an app for my BB but have quite a few I use frequently

Google has publicly stated their disappointment in their Marketplace revenue. Does rooting allow you to load pirated apps?
    02-17-11 02:35 PM
    its open market you can install whatever you want. It doesnt matter where you get it either really. you dont need to root to install a apk file for NFS or anything else
    02-17-11 02:48 PM
    its open market you can install whatever you want. It doesnt matter where you get it either really. you dont need to root to install a apk file for NFS or anything else
    So, if someone buys a paid app in the Marketplace, they can just give copies out or is there licensing type process that would stop this?
    02-17-11 03:03 PM
    Yeah a bunch of useless stuff and things that aren't even apps. Everything else is overpriced and under-performing.
    WTF! For reals? How many useless apps paid or free are on Andriod and or iOS? Come on dude....gonna troll harder than that.

Daniel Ratcliffe and Machzy like this.
    02-17-11 05:20 PM
    WTF! For reals? How many useless apps paid or free are on Andriod and or iOS? Come on dude....gonna troll harder than that.

All platforms have useless apps.

But BB's apps in general, and at best, are third-rate behind Android and iPhone apps. This isn't about taste either. This is a fact. The best app developers are developing for iOS and Android.

In before the BB fanboys (who have never used Android and iOS) start using the fart apps argument.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-17-11 05:42 PM
    So, if someone buys a paid app in the Marketplace, they can just give copies out or is there licensing type process that would stop this?
    well you still have to get the APK off the phone to give to someone else. This requires some effort and root would make this much easier. Also to get any updates to an app, which for some is weekly, you would need to have a record of purchase in the marketplace to get the update.
    02-17-11 05:44 PM
    Good post. I think there is a reason a lot of apps on itunes are .99. People shell out so much money for the iphone they have no cash to pay for the apps.

I think BB needs a few level apps and a few fart apps, that will make the app (w)hores happy.
    I have a feeling it has nothing to do with that. Development for the iPhone is much easier.

The Storm was $199 on contract and the 16GB iPhone 4 is the same. Are you saying when you bought your Storm you had no money left to buy apps? If so, all flagship BB users ($199 devices, or at least use to be) also had no money after buying a BB.

I bought my iPhone and have plenty of money to spend on apps and I'm not rich.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-17-11 at 05:47 PM.
    02-17-11 05:45 PM
    All platforms have useless apps.

But BB's apps in general, and at best, are third-rate behind Android and iPhone apps. This isn't about taste either. This is a fact. The best app developers are developing for iOS and Android.
    That's odd, because this poster's "facts" completely refute your "fact"...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/fac...phones-585715/

It's almost like they are both simply opinions...
    02-17-11 05:58 PM
    facebook on iphone i thought was pretty good. Androids isnt quite as good as RIMs though. For me it would go

iphone
    RIM
    Android
    02-17-11 06:00 PM
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...besides, how many apps can you use at one time? If you have the ones you need, what else matters? Personally, I use my BB for specific things and don't mind paying for a few apps I need. I try to use free ones, but I will pay if need be.
    Ferretling likes this.
    02-17-11 06:42 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD