I agree with everything you said.. including your dream device. Passport with even better specs and updated browser would be AWESOME! The app craze for me is silly and only impeding progress as it locks you to a platform (bad for devs and consumers). I have never run into anything I cant do on my passport through a browser vs an app. Just had a debate with a co-worker about it and trendy social networking was all he could come up with.
    I am glad you like your phone but you will have to excuse me for not sharing your enthusiasm.
    05-04-16 02:47 PM
    .I will take the same attitude to sailfish are you Ubuntu if nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 03:06 PM
    I am glad you like your phone but you will have to excuse me for not sharing your enthusiasm.
    you are excused..
    05-04-16 03:10 PM
    its tough to get BlackBerry's attention when you cant spell their name correctly...
    At this point, I truly believe BlackBerry - based on their lack of actions (ie. marketing and bad pricing) promoting BB10 products, or the BlackBerry Priv, could care less.

@OP. I'm still waiting to see the fruits of all the effort that - according to the last and current CEOs, were really being worked on to repair relations with carriers after crach and burning years earlier. LOL. Some of the best devices on the market(apps be damned)........that have never been heard of unless being told "BlackBerry is Dead". Also, similar threads were written as other, dismissed platforms were picking up steam during BlackBerry reign at the top. That was during the time of the BlackBerry Curve Domination. I forgot how many were made- but, I had four.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-04-16 03:19 PM
    I know that my comment will not be popular but frankly speaking priv is the best blackberry i have ever owned. bb10 cannot touch android. it really cannot. my priv is the best and most productive phone i have ever owned. blackberry best bb10 features,plus blackberry awesome keyboard and many excellent and high quality business apps available for android are just perfect combination for me.

I do not have to kill myself porting android apps that run like crap on bb10 and i do not have to deal with 3rd party apps that are simply not as good as official apps for android.

blackberry tried with bb10, developers did not bite it and end of story. priv has good reputation as a phone but price is killing sales. if blackberry comes out with midrange phone with all blackberry goodies blackberry sales will improve.

blackberry has unique features not found on other devices.
    I'm not interested in the slider form factor, but if these new midrange devices are pretty good I may give one a try.
    Glad you're enjoying your Priv!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-04-16 03:33 PM
    At this point, I truly believe BlackBerry - based on their lack of actions (ie. marketing and bad pricing) promoting BB10 products, or the BlackBerry Priv, could care less.

@OP. I'm still waiting to see the fruits of all the effort that - according to the last and current CEOs, were really being worked on to repair relations with carriers after crach and burning years earlier. LOL. Some of the best devices on the market(apps be damned)........that have never been heard of unless being told "BlackBerry is Dead". Also, similar threads were written as other, dismissed platforms were picking up steam during BlackBerry reign at the top. That was during the time of the BlackBerry Curve Domination. I forgot how many were made- but, I had four.
    I was amazed when they announced they had all four US carriers on board.

And I was just as amazed at the $720 price tag. And then again as time went by and I never saw an ad (some did report they had some ads during some presidential debates). But that was nothing compared to even LG's G5 launch. It's like a guy in the office that said he is going on a diet, and then orders two cheeseburgers and fries for lunch... don't think his heart is in it. And I don't think Chen's heart was really into making the PRIV a success. I know he isn't a hardware guy, but he has been through the launch of the Z3, Passport, Classic and LEAP.
    Blacklatino and JeepBB like this.
    05-04-16 03:53 PM
    its tough to get BlackBerry's attention when you cant spell their name correctly...
    I was amazed when they announced they had all four US carriers on board.

And I was just as amazed at the $720 price tag. And then again as time went by and I never saw an ad (some did report they had some ads during some presidential debates). But that was nothing compared to even LG's G5 launch. It's like a guy in the office that said he is going on a diet, and then orders two cheeseburgers and fries for lunch... don't think his heart is in it. And I don't think Chen's heart was really into making the PRIV a success. I know he isn't a hardware guy, but he has been through the launch of the Z3, Passport, Classic and LEAP.
    Thors and Chen were both going to learn from past mistakes - mend fences with carriers, sell devices at compatible prices, and better marketing and as we see, device launches come and go...... No Changes. Same arrogance- even after being on the selling block just to keep the doors open and the lights on. In other words..... SOS.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-04-16 04:32 PM
    Nope... so far the Verizon Droid Turbo 2 isn't rootable. But Cobalt's tools allow the BlackBerry apps to be installed without root.
    To be fair, installing via Cobalt isn't the same as using Google Play...

Having said that, I'd like to see BlackBerry continue to refine (and add to) their Android software offerings and put them up on the Play Store for other devices eventually. Hub, Blend, RFA, Keyboard, DTEK,...

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-04-16 05:40 PM
    I'm not interested in the slider form factor, but if these new midrange devices are pretty good I may give one a try.
    Glad you're enjoying your Priv!
    So, boxers or briefs? PKB or All Touch, lol?

I love the PKB, but I'm not keen on the renders we've see with the 'stretched Q10' form factor. Personally, I think if they go PKB for one of the models, they should go with a Note / Passport sized device with a big, comfy keyboard. Go big, or go home I say! =)
    05-04-16 07:49 PM
    So, boxers or briefs? PKB or All Touch, lol?

I love the PKB, but I'm not keen on the renders we've see with the 'stretched Q10' form factor. Personally, I think if they go PKB for one of the models, they should go with a Note / Passport sized device with a big, comfy keyboard. Go big, or go home I say! =)
    I would tend to agree. I would probably stick with all touch, unless the PKB was super sexy.
    anon(9353145) and Blacklatino like this.
    05-04-16 07:51 PM
    Yeah I don't get the whole cheering for the PRIV to fail by some BB10 die hards. I guess it is true that misery loves company?
    I for one do NOT wish the Priv to fail... just sad to see Chen making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again...

And yes, I will keep pointing that out as long as it continues.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-04-16 08:12 PM
    So then anything that has mass appeal is because of people following the market or wanting to fit in. I'd hate to hear what you would think of BB10 if it caught on and became the market share leader. Then you'd have to jump ship to another platform as you'd just be one of the masses whose been brainwashed.
    Well, I have been using Linux ONLY (no windows or macs) between 1991 and 2015... there you have it. I use it because that's what I need for work and windows was too slow and buggy, crashing most of the time. Then Microsoft introduced automatic updates over the Web. That's when I stopped using Windows even as a secondary dual boot OS.
    I had to use Windows again for four months for work last fall. Glad, that I don't have to use it again. One OS is sufficient, even though I have used all three (Linux, Mac and Windows). I prefer Linux. I have never had to jump ships nor has it occurred to me to do so because of other people's opinions or OS choices.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-04-16 at 10:51 PM.
    05-04-16 09:58 PM
    As a 65 yr old small business owner (design firm that uses a lot of sub consultants), my dream phone is a VKB Passport with high end specs (and am willing to pay for them) with BBOS10 that has a high end browser. I do use a few apps for exercise and travel (mapping, updates, etc) but most can be done very nicely through a browser. I personally think the lack of apps is over done, especially in light of using a good browser. The problem is a culture change is needed. That has to be marketed aggressively. Developers could develop for browser based apps and one app could cover many OS's. A benefit for all. I am very much a KISS principal person.

Last fall I spent a month in Germany and France - all the while in contact with my office and consultants. I could read specs, examine dwgs, and mark them up to send back for editing. Using Teamviewer, I was able to log into my server and actually draw, albeit a little slow depending on wireless speeds.

If BB wants to cater to the business crowd, they need to think in these terms. Mid range phones only make the user want to use something else. They need to make a device that is un-resistible, then market the capabilities. Show how apps are not needed. TOOOOOO many people are locked into what they think they know and will not change until shown how to change.
    I agree. Your use case is very much like mine.
    05-04-16 10:05 PM
    What a silly and useless rant. BB 10 is dead, the hardware wing is failing and there is nothing that can capture the mind of consumers........especially with zero marketing.
    It's a smartphone. Smartphones are commonplace and lack novelty just like TVs and laptops.
    Nobody captures the minds of consumers with TVs and laptops anymore.
    Same goes for smartphones.
    05-04-16 10:09 PM
    It's a smartphone. Smartphones are commonplace and lack novelty just like TVs and laptops.
    Nobody captures the minds of consumers with TVs and laptops anymore.
    Same goes for smartphones.
    So, following your argument, what's the case in favour of BlackBerry?
    05-04-16 10:19 PM
    So, following your argument, what's the case in favour of BlackBerry?
    There isn't one. Not with android, not with bb10, not with IoS.
    If it is to re-invent itself, it would have to be a new type of product.
    Few companies in the history of high tech have re-invented themselves with revolutionary second products. Apart from Apple, I can't think of one.
    Chen is not the person that will come up with a revolutionary new product. Neither in hardware, nor in software.
    He is not a Jobs, nor a Zuckerberg, nor a Brin, nor a Lazaridis, nor a Grove, nor a Gates. He is not a creative person.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-04-16 at 10:58 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-04-16 10:43 PM
    The pitfall Mr Chen has created with blackberry, is the feeling of trust, Or lack of rather. I love my blackberry(running the classico), and the os10 is in my case of use, better than any alternative.

But Chens relecutancy to tell the community whats going on, what the plans are, how he thinks, etc. makes me as a consumer feel im at risk, that any day the support will be gone,without any real forewarning, and this reiterates the hesitation people have when consider a purchase with a handheld computer, running on BBOS 10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-04-16 11:11 PM
    The pitfall Mr Chen has created with blackberry, is the feeling of trust, Or lack of rather. I love my blackberry(running the classico), and the os10 is in my case of use, better than any alternative.

But Chens relecutancy to tell the community whats going on, what the plans are, how he thinks, etc. makes me as a consumer feel im at risk, that any day the support will be gone,without any real forewarning, and this reiterates the hesitation people have when consider a purchase with a handheld computer, running on BBOS 10
    Chen said BlackBerry was transitioning into a software company. BlackBerry is focusing strongly on software and making inroads.
    Chen said Marshmallow was "coming soon." It's here.
    Chen said no more BB10 devices (for 2016 but let's be serious here)
    Chen said 2 more BB10 updates, focused on security. First one in June, let's see what happens.
    Chen said 2 more Android devices released "this year"... calendar or fiscal we're not sure

What exactly has he not said that you want to hear? He has been a lot less cryptic lately than in the previous year or two.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    05-05-16 05:28 AM
    Chen said BlackBerry was transitioning into a software company. BlackBerry is focusing strongly on software and making inroads.
    Chen said 2 more BB10 updates, focused on security. First one in June, let's see what happens.
    Chen said 2 more Android devices released "this year"... calendar or fiscal we're not sure

What exactly has he not said that you want to hear? He has been a lot less cryptic lately than in the previous year or two.

Chen is less pessimistic about future of blackberry than many on this forum lol.
    05-05-16 06:52 AM
    Chen is less pessimistic about future of blackberry than many on this forum lol.
    Pay me what BB pay John Chen, and I'll be as optimistic as you want!
    techvisor and zephyr613 like this.
    05-05-16 09:30 AM
    There isn't one. Not with android, not with bb10, not with IoS.
    If it is to re-invent itself, it would have to be a new type of product.
    Few companies in the history of high tech have re-invented themselves with revolutionary second products. Apart from Apple, I can't think of one.
    Chen is not the person that will come up with a revolutionary new product. Neither in hardware, nor in software.
    He is not a Jobs, nor a Zuckerberg, nor a Brin, nor a Lazaridis, nor a Grove, nor a Gates. He is not a creative person.
    Those people are few and far between.
    05-05-16 10:39 AM

Well said.
    05-05-16 10:43 AM

Pretty sure he didn't give a new release date for the 1st of the 2 BB10 updates until after they missed his first promised date of March. Chen claimed strong sales of the Priv... then back peddled with his statement about the high end segment being soft and Priv did not sell as expected.
    05-05-16 10:50 AM
    Pay me what BB pay John Chen, and I'll be as optimistic as you want!
    I do not think he would take the job unless he felt like he can make things better for blackberry. He has been appointed ceo when things were already in bad situation. If he did not want to save headset division he would just close it down and concentrate on software.
    05-05-16 11:17 AM
    Pretty sure he didn't give a new release date for the 1st of the 2 BB10 updates until after they missed his first promised date of March. Chen claimed strong sales of the Priv... then back peddled with his statement about the high end segment being soft and Priv did not sell as expected.
    There is a very long list of things Chen has said that are patently not true.

It has been discussed and documented at length in other threads.

Not going to regurgitate it here for those who refuse to follow the reality.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-05-16 01:27 PM
213 ... 45678 ...