It seems that the BB10 Brigade is having a hard time accepting a massive failure with BB10, but what is more interesting is that the BBdroiders are neither accepting this paramount Android failure (even bigger than BB10).
    I wouldn't say bigger, there isn't any massive inventory writeoffs, for-sale signs or corporate shakeups as there was in 2013-14.
    JeepBB, Maxxxpower and web99 like this.
    05-02-16 12:46 PM
    atleast someone gave them a nice headstone
    05-02-16 01:05 PM
    Can somebody explain to me this app craze?

I have recently bought a Classic and, initially, was somewhat curious over the Android Player support for Android apps in Amazon AppStore. Well, my prior skepticism over the entire app scene has been confirmed. What a lot of rubbish! I haven't seen such a collection of senseless nonsense outside of a street market. Take this so-called Editor's Choice in Google Play, for example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...s_choice?hl=en

I could only spot two apps of value there, viz. SoundCloud and BBC News. Otherwise, endless pointless games plus an assortment of other trivialities. It seems the entire app business is aimed at children below the age of 10. What is this hurrah over apps about? And why the howling over the "lack of apps" in BB World? I have more than enough useful apps as standard on my Classic. I have added SoundCloud, Skype, Shazam, SoundHound, Wikipedia, and Kindle. I do not need Google Play App store. I have browsed it with my PC and have found nothing compelling there except Facebook Messenger. So much talent wasted. Or perhaps, not so much talent in the first place. Or, perhaps, some would blame it on my Classic. Don't try. I had the option of some Android thing. No thank you.
    Last edited by JP Barnard; 05-02-16 at 04:09 PM.
    Oshasat likes this.
    05-02-16 02:12 PM
    It seems that the BB10 Brigade is having a hard time accepting a massive failure with BB10, but what is more interesting is that the BBdroiders are neither accepting this paramount Android failure (even bigger than BB10).
    There's more: droiders are loving a pale semblance of a plastic case with a BlackBerry logo outside, some BB app inside, and the competitor's operating system...

Once there were BlackBerries!

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 02:33 PM
    Didn't Blackberry already try the "Wake UP" ad campaign?

Attachment 398711

Attachment 398712
    Yea that should sell another ten phones........amazing.......just amazing. Maybe you get a free egg roll with that order...
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-16 02:43 PM
    I wouldn't say bigger, there isn't any massive inventory writeoffs, for-sale signs or corporate shakeups as there was in 2013-14.
    For me it is bigger, because now they filled the app gap, and they sold less by a big number than BB10 devices in their time. Going Android instead of closing the harware division was a big mistake, and if it is not enough, now Chen wants to be remembered for another two Android failures in 2016, lets see how those two U$400 phones make no impact in the market, like the Priv. Sincerely how a CEO can think that he could overpriced an outspeced phone from a tarnished brand in an oversaturated market like Android and sell the phone well, just a big lol for Chen.
    05-02-16 02:48 PM
    Can somebody explains to me this app craze?

I have recently bought a Classic and, initially, was somewhat curious over the Android Player support for Android apps in Amazon AppStore. Well, my prior skepticism over the entire app scene has been confirmed. What a lot of rubbish! I haven't seen such a collection of senseless nonsense outside of a street market. Take this so-called Editor's Choice in Google Play, for example:

I could only spot two apps of value there, viz. SoundCloud and BBC News. Otherwise, endless pointless games plus an assortment of other trivialities. It seems the entire app business is aimed at children below the age of 10. What is this hurrah over apps about? And why the howling over the "lack of apps" in BB World? I have more than enough useful apps as standard on my Classic. I have added SoundCloud, Skype, Shazam, SoundHound, Wikipedia, and Kindle. I do not need Google Play App store. I have browsed it with my PC and have found nothing compelling there except Facebook Messenger. So much talent wasted. Or perhaps, not so much talent in the first place. Or, perhaps, some would blame it on my Classic. Don't try. I had the option of some Android thing. No thank you.
    Apps is only part of the problem of why BB10 didn't succeed. Blaming it fully on apps is taking the easy way out of a long cue of missteps taken by the BB.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-02-16 03:20 PM
    I can not believe this coincidence ! I swear to God that was a genuine thought of my own this morning after reading a lot of articles about android's big firms. Incredible!
    Shows you how effective and long lived that ad campaign was from BB. I thought it was a good idea but it sure didn't last long nor hit many people.
    05-02-16 03:29 PM
    Apps is only part of the problem of why BB10 didn't succeed. Blaming it fully on apps is taking the easy way out of a long cue of missteps taken by the BB.
    I agree.. I am convinced that apps would only come into the equation after the device is purchased. You might see a higher return rate and a ton of complaints about missing apps. We don't even see that.. we instead get "Blackberry still makes phones?" Seldom do you ever hear "I would try it but they don't have my (Insert app here) app".
    05-02-16 03:32 PM
    I do agree, but when one reads critical reviews of the Classic, one complaint is the availability of apps.

Another criticism seems to take aim at BB10 vs. Android, Sorry, I have seen Android demonstrated to me on various mobile phones of my friends and I am not impressed. Compared to BB 10.3.2, the Android user experience is confused, cluttered, and haphazard.

BB should retreat to their niche market - the business user. No other brand can touch BB as a mobile business communicator tool. Drop the consumer market, since the consumer market has dropped BB. Realign market and investor expectations.
    pstrusi and Oshasat like this.
    05-02-16 04:15 PM
    I do agree, but when one reads critical reviews of the Classic, one complaint is the availability of apps.

Another criticism seems to take aim at BB10 vs. Android, Sorry, I have seen Android demonstrated to me on various mobile phones of my friends and I am not impressed. Compared to BB 10.3.2, the Android user experience is confused, cluttered, and haphazard.

BB should retreat to their niche market - the business user. No other brand can touch BB as a mobile business communicator tool. Drop the consumer market, since the consumer market has dropped BB. Realign market and investor expectations.
    If you really believe this, you don't get it. Blackberry has lost the corporate market too (that also uses apps to produce revenue, connect physicians to patients, etc.) to those "haphazard" Android and iPhone models.
    anon(9188202) and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 04:27 PM
    Android at the very least gives Blackberry a fighting chance. BB10 is a non starter ; no one in 2016 is buying an app less OS.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and web99 like this.
    05-02-16 05:00 PM
    Business users are not a separate species. They're people--consumers--too.

I do think BB should focus on 'fleet' sales of phones to big corporations and government accounts with a good-not-great midlevel phone. It'd be like Ford or GM selling work trucks/vans. It'd be a direct lease, and they could structure the contracts with discounts on bundled deals with their software solutions. BlackBerry would provide custom mobile IT support on the phones, making further inroads into corporate customer consulting. It would take the production/inventory guessing out of their abysmal attempts at mainline consumer phone sales. They could keep a 'flagship' in the catalog for the managers. Any retail sales would be gravy.

I guess we're basically in agreement. But they should have done this x-years ago, as usual.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 05-02-16 at 05:21 PM.
    05-02-16 05:10 PM
    buddy its either you want a blackberry phone or not, if you want one then its going to be android
    05-02-16 08:23 PM
    I read your post and just talked to my friend John Chen. Now, he's convinced and he'll cancel all future Android projects. 5 new BB10 phones will be released this year. Thanks for your refreshing ideas.
    You must be Fistmaster? Right?haha
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-02-16 08:49 PM
    Only 10 times fewer users and revenue... and 1-2billion dollars less in the bank than when Chen joined. I guess that's great in your opinion.
    JulesDB likes this.
    05-02-16 09:14 PM

Business users are not a separate species. They're people--consumers--too.

I do think BB should focus on 'fleet' sales of phones to big corporations and government accounts with a good-not-great midlevel phone. It'd be like Ford or GM selling work trucks/vans. It'd be a direct lease, and they could structure the contracts with discounts on bundled deals with their software solutions. BlackBerry would provide custom mobile IT support on the phones, making further inroads into corporate customer consulting. It would take the production/inventory guessing out of their abysmal attempts at mainline consumer phone sales. They could keep a 'flagship' in the catalog for the managers. Any retail sales would be gravy.

I guess we're basically in agreement. But they should have done this x-years ago, as usual.

Posted via CB10
    They did a few years ago,

BlackBerry to retreat from consumer market, lay off 4,500 employees | The Verge
    Jerry A and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 09:29 PM
    Can somebody explain to me this app craze?

This.
    I have 100 BlackBerry 10 apps. I have no android apps. I have several map apps, I have Ambient Details with Wikepedia connection, Wherels, CBC. Radio, BBC World Service radio, BBC World News TV streaming live anywhere in the world, New York Times, Globe and Mail, Kobo e-book reader, 7digital for music, ghostcommander to sftpt files remotely to and from my Linux work computer from anywhere in the world.
    I am not really missing any app on my Passport without sideloading any android spywhere. No Google Play Store, no gmail for me, no Cobalt, no Snap.

I have a MacBook 12 inch. Checked the Apple app store. Nothing useful..
    The only "apps" I have on my mac are X11 and Openoffice, both open software.

Most of the android apps are garbage. As you wrote, developed for 10-year olds by 15-year olds (or equivalent), and datamine the heck out of you.
    pstrusi, JP Barnard and heepman like this.
    05-02-16 09:37 PM
    Only 10 times fewer users and revenue... and 1-2billion dollars less in the bank than when Chen joined. I guess that's great in your opinion.
    I assume this means you think Thorsten Heins did a better job? What, billions lost per quarter, inventory rotting in warehouses, the threat of takeover hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles?

But, of course, he didn't touch that Ebul (TM) Android, so he's obviously a genius.
    JeepBB, TgeekB and web99 like this.
    05-02-16 09:59 PM
    Maybe just put in BB10 the full Google apps support could be the best choice for BlackBerry and customer.
    No one is thinking to buy an android blackberry phone.
    For too many people blackberry is just blackberry.
    If BlackBerry people start to stop to talk about work and security and just speak about the pleasure to use a BlackBerry this will definitely be better.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 10:09 PM
    Maybe just put in BB10 the full Google apps support could be the best choice for BlackBerry and customer.
    No one is thinking to buy an android blackberry phone.
    For too many people blackberry is just blackberry.
    If BlackBerry people start to stop to talk about work and security and just speak about the pleasure to use a BlackBerry this will definitely be better.

Posted via CB10
    Why should Google give access to their own services to a competitor's OS, especially one that has enough users to fit on a postage stamp?
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-02-16 10:14 PM
    If it were not for PKBs, I would never have owned a BlackBerry device... here I am with two... the passport has been great but sadly truncated lifespan what with abandonment of bb10 gone the way of webOS � la Meg. Now on Priv for the PKB having no alternative... but wait, despite some schizophrenic specs, a surprisingly nice device. Albeit overpriced... BlackBerry can make Hardware... only, absolutely nobody knows it...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-16 10:25 PM
    I assume this means you think Thorsten Heins did a better job? What, billions lost per quarter, inventory rotting in warehouses, the threat of takeover hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles?

But, of course, he didn't touch that Ebul (TM) Android, so he's obviously a genius.
    We are talking Chen's performance here. 2.5 years years things are far worse than before he came.
    It doesn't matter how bad the guys before were. Chen is worse.
    05-02-16 10:42 PM
    We are talking Chen's performance here. 2.5 years years things are far worse than before he came.
    It doesn't matter how bad the guys before were. Chen is worse.
    Quarterly losses are significantly lower and the company isn't for sale. Were it not for Watsa/Chen the company would have hit Chapter 11 or be sold to the Chinese.

Have you tried loosening your tin foil hat?
    05-02-16 10:44 PM

That's what they said three years ago: "We're going to focus on the 'prosumer' market." The problem is that not even so-called prosumers know that Blackberry still makes phones, that Blackberry developed a new OS or what the new OS is so compelling.

Just saying "BB should retreat to their niche market" is meaningless.
    05-02-16 10:56 PM
213 12345 ...