Personally, I think we're entering the post-Security phase, and they need to adjust their pitch. Security is Corporate speak, not Consumer speak. And in that case, a BES 12 secured BB10 phone is adequate most likely for those needs (where the phone is so locked down you are restricted to voice, sms, email and web browsing).

Privacy is a completely different animal. Speaking personally, I want my online activity to be hidden enough that any corporation that wants to spam me can't access my digital profile, text spam me, or use that data to raise my insurance rates (for example), etc. And in that regard, I think all the current platforms are on a pretty even setting. Actually, now that BlackBerry has gone Android, it's probably Apple that is the safest bet when it comes to not monetizing your activity if you need a robust app ecosystem, lol.

For hardware, I still think they should take a flyer on a Passport 'esque' device. Make the screen aspect ratio Google legal, and throw it out there. It's definitely different enough from the rest of the pack to stand out. And if they can make it at a mid range price and advertise the touch capacitive pkb with shortcuts, it might be enough to fill a niche. Jmho.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    05-01-16 08:08 PM
    I disagree. I remember because I was the first person I knew to get the Z10. They advertised and AT&T carried it. Then they put out several other models. It failed because it was late to the game.

Android is well established. It will be difficult to break in but perhaps, if they can add adequate security, they can carve a niche. But it will take time.
    Wrong. John Chen came at 7 months after the launch of bB10 and decided to go android. We now know that from Chen himself.
    Priv has already had 6 months and sold less than 500K, an order of magnitude less than z10.
    Android is a bigger failure for BlackBerry than bb10, and bb10 was sabotaged by Chen and the board.
    05-01-16 08:36 PM
    Wrong. John Chen came at 7 months after the launch of bB10 and decided to go android. We now know that from Chen himself.
    Priv has already had 6 months and sold less than 500K, an order of magnitude less than z10.
    Android is a bigger failure for BlackBerry than bb10, and bb10 was sabotaged by Chen and the board.
    BB10 has had every chance for success no matter what you think. It failed. Move on.
    05-01-16 08:38 PM
    It seems to me that the android BlackBerry aficionados have a hard time accepting failure.
    05-01-16 08:44 PM
    It seems to me that the android BlackBerry aficionados have a hard time accepting failure.
    It seems to me the BB10 brigade have a hard time accepting reality.
    05-01-16 08:50 PM
    The Priv is way overpriced for the Android consumer market, most people on this forum saw that immediately, imho.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-01-16 08:51 PM
    Because, as we know, there's been millions and millions of BB10 devices sold, right?
    Carl Sagan... is that you? Where have you been hiding?
    05-01-16 11:20 PM
    I guess it is time to remind bb10 fans that BB put themselves on sale since bb10 did not made a difference.
    BB10 did not make a difference because of the initial bugs, especially the infamous restart issue, huge battery drains and no apps(excused because it's a new OS, but had the highest number of apps on a new OS on release). Due to these issues, most of the people started returning their BlackBerry and the store staffs started to discourage people from buying BB10 phones, because of the high number of returns. And suddenly, BlackBerry was put up for sale, instead of correcting these issues and changing the mentality of customers about BlackBerry through advertisements. People then realised BlackBerry is dead and no longer is supported, app developers started to pull out of BB10 app development. The BlackBerry name was tarnished. The people running BlackBerry destroyed BlackBerry, BB10 did not destroy BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB and crackberry_geek like this.
    05-01-16 11:56 PM
    It's been discussed over and over again BB10 as an OS was too complicated, so by firing the guys responsible for BB IS 7 they had to start by zero. IOS and Android users were never going to change their OS, but managed to **** of all the other blackberry users with their take it or leave it approach all they needed to do was to increase the specs of the Bold and install it as their flagship!

Android can be secured all one has to do is root it
    05-02-16 12:03 AM
    Because, as we know, there's been millions and millions of BB10 devices sold, right?
    Yes, BlackBerry10 sold definitely more than abysmal Priv.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek and acovey like this.
    05-02-16 12:20 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry10 sold definitely more than abysmal Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Enough to be profitable?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 01:07 AM
    Android smartphone market is already saturated and competitive, even big firms as Samsung are seeing its profits plummeting. Most companies offer phones with similar good specs, camera and access to all android Apps...at the best prices possible although mostly of them are made with poor quality ( many can not overcome a simple drop to the sidewalk ). The only chance for Blackberry to enter this battle with chances is offering all of the above already demanded features at competitive prices, but adding powerful differences: good quality manufacture, hub, security. Perhaps I'm deluding myself thinking that BB has a chance to strive under actual conditions, because all aims that only big companies that makes the OS has more chances as Apple and Google. I'm actually have a Classic with the excellent OS10, ( a pity many of good apps are not available ) and I think to stick to this phone at least for one year more, after that if BB doesn't show another attitude, unfortunately I'll have to jump to Android ( maybe a a better built future Nexus ). I hope BB can over come the challenge.
    ^ wall of text.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-16 01:29 AM
    It's been discussed over and over again BB10 as an OS was too complicated, so by firing the guys responsible for BB IS 7 they had to start by zero. IOS and Android users were never going to change their OS, but managed to **** of all the other blackberry users with their take it or leave it approach...
    They didn't start from zero they built BB10 upon QNX Neutrino. BlackBerry owns QNX. So, again, they did not start from zero they had the developers that built Neutrino. The problem is that developing native code for BB10 required creating new software (minimal use of existing assets) that was proprietary to BB10 (not using Qt, Xamarin, etc.). BlackBerry created another walled garden like iOS and Google Mobile Services (GMS). And BlackBerry gave up before leveraging the possibilities unique to Neutrino. Something they could pursue, if they put Neutrino under Android, to differentiate their product from the rest of Android crowd.

Also, due to people's experience with other devices the UI was not immediately intuitive. So, the gesture tutorial should have automatically started whenever a device was picked up when in retail mode in stores (or taken out of the box). And finally pre BB10.2.1 should have been sold to BlackBerry diehards not sold to the carriers for the reasons jevinzac has said.
    05-02-16 05:55 AM
    Enough to be profitable?
    Yeah I don't get the whole cheering for the PRIV to fail by some BB10 die hards. I guess it is true that misery loves company?
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 08:29 AM
    Enough to be profitable?
    Again: what about Priv?

But then, what you found in a piece of plastic and silicon with the Google-owned operating system?

How much can you define it a BlackBerry? It's the OS of your competitor with case and keyboard? Or is it the keyboard that makes a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 08:50 AM
    Again: what about Priv?

Posted via CB10
    Pot, kettle...

If you only now oozed out from under a rock, the Priv was a reaction to the massive failure that was BB10. While sales are dismal, BlackBerry did manage to avoid billions of dollars in unsold inventory write-offs, plus any Thorsten Heins-level embarrassment.

If BB10 was the cure for cancer you think it is, why was the company running billions in losses and putting up a for sale sign by the time Chen came in and supposedly ruined things?
    JeepBB and Tabdus like this.
    05-02-16 08:54 AM
    While sales are dismal, BlackBerry did manage to avoid billions of dollars in unsold inventory write-offs
    In all fairness, however, they did avoid this also with their release of the Passport and Classic and probably Leap as well with controlled inventory release. I think it was the z10 that really was the nail in the coffin. Hindsight 20/20. Although not making any $ , at least the losses have not been catastrophic as they were with z10.
    05-02-16 09:09 AM
    In all fairness, however, they did avoid this also with their release of the Passport and Classic and probably Leap as well with controlled inventory release. I think it was the z10 that really was the nail in the coffin. Hindsight 20/20. Although not making any $ , at least the losses have not been catastrophic as they were with z10.
    Which were released during Chens time.

As much as I love my Z10, when it debuted, it was also under speced, over priced, and over a month late on AT&T.

I waited even longer for the refurbs to filter in before I got one.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 09:29 AM
    Classic and Leap... might not have created any losses as they were just recycled hardware and by their release I think BB10 development was already being scaled back. By the time the Leap was released Chen had already put BB10 in a "medically induced coma".

But the Passport and it's new Chipset and thus new custom drivers, and new software for it's keyboard..... I bet they lost a lot of money on the development of that one device.

What is very clear is that none of these devcies turned around the declining sales trends, none of these devcies made Chen think... "hey we ought to stick with BB10".
    brookie229 and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 09:55 AM
    Classic and Leap... might not have created any losses as they were just recycled hardware and by their release I think BB10 development was already being scaled back. By the time the Leap was released Chen had already put BB10 in a "medically induced coma".

But the Passport and it's new Chipset and thus new custom drivers, and new software for it's keyboard..... I bet they lost a lot of money on the development of that one device.

What is very clear is that none of these devcies turned around the declining sales trends, none of these devcies made Chen think... "hey we ought to stick with BB10".
    Passport development was in the works before Chen, it's just that that was the one plan he didn't cancel.
    05-02-16 10:01 AM
    Most folks and I am probably speaking of 98% of the average consumer doesn't care about device security unless it directly affects them.

As far as Blackberry OS10 is concerned, it has no app and/or developer support and without an app ecosystem it's dead in the water.

I think if Blackberry can secure Android and make a cheaper Android device for the enterprise market, it might be enough to keep the hardware division going for a while. Only time will tell.
    Agreed, and improve their speed to market on devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-16 10:06 AM
    Passport development was in the works before Chen, it's just that that was the one plan he didn't cancel.
    Z3/Leap was also in the works already.... And I kinda taught that the Classic was too. So not sure Chen did anything to make his "mark" on BB10 hardware.

For that matter it seemed like there were leaks (drawings) of a Slider "concept" also before Chen came along. But I'm sure that was a very early design, and natural evolution of the BlackBerry Torch.
    05-02-16 10:39 AM
    BB10 did not make a difference because of the initial bugs, especially the infamous restart issue, huge battery drains and no apps(excused because it's a new OS, but had the highest number of apps on a new OS on release). Due to these issues, most of the people started returning their BlackBerry and the store staffs started to discourage people from buying BB10 phones, because of the high number of returns. And suddenly, BlackBerry was put up for sale, instead of correcting these issues and changing the mentality of customers about BlackBerry through advertisements. People then realised BlackBerry is dead and no longer is supported, app developers started to pull out of BB10 app development. The BlackBerry name was tarnished. The people running BlackBerry destroyed BlackBerry, BB10 did not destroy BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    No amount of marketing was going to overcome the disaster of the BB10 1.X launch and the subsequent corporate melt down. Plus add to your list that BB10 was launched at least a year too late. The tech world is pretty unforgiving. Very hard if not impossible to make a good second impression when the first was so bad.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-16 11:24 AM
    It seems to me the BB10 brigade have a hard time accepting reality.
    It seems that the BB10 Brigade is having a hard time accepting a massive failure with BB10, but what is more interesting is that the BBdroiders are neither accepting this paramount Android failure (even bigger than BB10).
    05-02-16 12:19 PM
    It seems that the BB10 Brigade is having a hard time accepting a massive failure with BB10, but what is more interesting is that the BBdroiders are neither accepting this paramount Android failure (even bigger than BB10).
    I really think that if in the long shot case that Blackberry decides to offer an android handset enhanced with BB features, plus high specs at fair price, they could have a chance to initiate some growing niche; but I do realize that this looks as wishful thinking. I hope that BB wakes up!!
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-02-16 12:31 PM
213 1234 ...