Alec S recently tweeted "...later this year..." BlackBerry isn't going to play the game of promising dates.

IMO - sure they told us we would get BB10 for our PB but the reality is they never had to. What other company has launched a product (as good/bad as the PB initially was) and then 2+ years later provides customers a brand new OS for it...free? The OS it has today is pretty darn good.
    As far as I am concerned, it is a bonus.
    They still haven't delivered on what they promised at launch, and yes, they do owe me and everyone else who bought a Playbook BB10 because they have publicly said that it will be getting it, which probably helped them sell even more than they would have otherwise. The browser and AIR based apps aren't very good and lack simple functions like organizing bookmarks. The Music and Video players can't even remember where you were in a song or movie if you close the players and reopen later. We've been told that effort has been put on BB10 and the PlayBook would get BB10 which would make up for all the shortcomings of the Playbook.

Would you rather have the staff of BlackBerry putting all their effort into BB10 and continuing to make it a rock solid platform or switch to working on the PlayBook? I plan to buy a Z10 in the next few weeks and want them to continue to make this new platform better. My two PlayBook can wait.
    Since BB10 on the PlayBook was the reason we were given for why the updates for it have stalled and their has been little to no effort put into addressing simple functionality deficiencies in the web browser, music, and video player, combined with all new apps being for BB10, yes I want them to put the effort into the device that I own and that is the only BB10 capable device that RIM sells in the US. I've been told for almost two full years from RIM that it is "coming soon". Time to deliver and throw a bone to the people who beta tested this stuff at non-beta test product pricing!
    richardat and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    02-03-13 01:19 PM
    Ah so based on Alec's comments that means we will see it Q1 2014 at the earliest! Sorry but I've been hearing this same crap from BlackBerry since I bought the PlayBook at launch. Coming soon means half a year minimum. 4 Months means 8. Sometime this year means early next. With BlackBerry you have to expect the worst to not be disappointed, even after a complete management change. They already told us Q2 2013 for the Playbook, so I wasn't expecting till Q3, but now I'll have to revise to next year if ever.
    You (or anyone but BlackBerry ) have no idea exactly how long it will be to get BB10 for the PB.
    Why should I be disappointed. BlackBerry never promised me BB10 for my PlayBook when I bought it. My PB works very good. The only thing I would say is that they should improve Bridge with the PB2.1 immediately for the early Z10 adopters. Yes it should have worked the same.
    There's a lot of bitter people on this forum and yet no one forces anyone to stay. If I was as unhappy with a mobile platform as some people claim/appear to be, I would move on to something else. Some people apparently would just rather gripe about everything that disappoints them. It isn't worth it.
    02-03-13 02:40 PM
    You (or anyone but BlackBerry ) have no idea exactly how long it will be to get BB10 for the PB.
    Why should I be disappointed. BlackBerry never promised me BB10 for my PlayBook when I bought it. My PB works very good. The only thing I would say is that they should improve Bridge with the PB2.1 immediately for the early Z10 adopters. Yes it should have worked the same.
    There's a lot of bitter people on this forum and yet no one forces anyone to stay. If I was as unhappy with a mobile platform as some people claim/appear to be, I would move on to something else. Some people apparently would just rather gripe about everything that disappoints them. It isn't worth it.
    I have my iPad Mini but I'm still watching to see if there's a resolution. I'm not bitter, I'm prepared.
    02-03-13 06:24 PM
    I would actually prefer Blackberry to launch a new playbook or tablet built specifically for the BB10 platform. I am hoping that they go that route.
    02-03-13 07:29 PM
    ummm, you do realize that the phones were just demoed a couple of days ago, released (as soon as) the next day, apps added and completed, probably a phone OS update, more features to be added to the phone...and you want a PB update.
    Give it a moment..
    So you feel RIM should not expected to support two product lines at once, in a timely manner. I think that's very telling. The OP isn't even asking for an early date, just any date/timeline. It isn't unreasonable at all. Assuming RIM is actually planning to really do this, and isn't blowing smoke, then they must have an internal timeframe, and they must have a team working on it. IF they have any confidence in the team at all, a tentative date could easily be given. They could simply add in extra time if they are worried about bugs. I think PB owners, who in truth, have really been given the shaft (especially the early adopters who paid 5X more for it than more recent buyers), for nearly the entire existence of the device, deserve absolute first class treatment from RIM now. RIM should be bending over backward, and being as transparent as absolutely possible, to make things "right" for PB owners.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    02-03-13 08:03 PM
    The infantry are getting the update ahead of all other branches.
    02-03-13 08:08 PM
    yea, the old `show` made promises they couldnt keep. thorsten isnt gonna make a promise if he doesnt know if he can keep it or not. i call that a good thing for the company myself.
    Geez.....the mindset here....

The customer-oriented solution to that problem is not: OK....let's not make any more promises!! Problem solved!!!

It should be: OK, let's get our act together like the good companies/people, and MEET our deadlines, and take full responsibility, including accepting repercussions and making compensation if we don't.
    02-03-13 08:09 PM
    Geez.....the mindset here....

The customer-oriented solution to that problem is not: OK....let's not make any more promises!! Problem solved!!!

It should be: OK, let's get our act together like the good companies/people, and MEET our deadlines, and take full responsibility, including accepting repercussions and making compensation if we don't.
    no, my mindset is very simple as iv laid out in this thread already
    1) NO WAY was BB10 going to be announced on the 30th for the playbook, this launch was ALL about the phones. and it had to be.
    2) They need to launch the dev tools before the OS. guess whats happeing next week? thier dev conference. only a fool would expect them to announce it between the launch and their conference. seriously!
    3) they shouldnt make promises if they cant keep them. simple as. will that upset some people? well yes, will iit upset as many people as if they make a promise and fail to keep it? no, so its most definitley the lesser of two evils, and also keeps their reputation of delivering as promised. If you think thats a bad thing, i`d love to know why.
    02-03-13 08:15 PM
    no, my mindset is very simple as iv laid out in this thread already
    1) NO WAY was BB10 going to be announced on the 30th for the playbook, this launch was ALL about the phones. and it had to be.
    2) They need to launch the dev tools before the OS. guess whats happeing next week? thier dev conference. only a fool would expect them to announce it between the launch and their conference. seriously!
    3) they shouldnt make promises if they cant keep them. simple as. will that upset some people? well yes, will iit upset as many people as if they make a promise and fail to keep it? no, so its most definitley the lesser of two evils, and also keeps their reputation of delivering as promised. If you think thats a bad thing, i`d love to know why.
    Yes, and as I've said, #3 is very troublesome indeed. Every other company simply says: OK PB team, you've been working on this for months now, it is doable correct? Now give me the worst time frame, anticipating all possible problems, the best time frame, and your predicted time frame, because I'm going to announce a date. Simple, and done ALL the time. If one is that fearful (again, not a good sign), one could even say: we are hoping to release in March, and we are on schedule for that. As I've also said, this is the least they could do for the long-suffering PB loyalists.

As for #1, and #2, those are just silly premises. Your opinion only. Of course they could have announced the PB release with the phones. Companies do it ALL the time. Apple even announced other products on the same day as the iphone. The premise is made particularly silly by the fact that mentioning a PB update would divert no attention away from the phones. In fact, it is mostly PB owners who would even care. If anything, it would have improved the image of BB10 by suggesting some synergy and depth to the "ecosystem". The whole notion of not announcing with the phones came out of fanboy fantasy justifications....I have not heard ONE solid business or logical argument as to why it would have hurt them.

You are free to believe that #1 and #2 "must" or "had" to be. I think it ridiculous, and calling others "fools" does not make your argument any stronger - in fact, it weakens it.
    02-03-13 11:37 PM
    Yes,Of course they could have announced the PB release with the phones. Companies do it ALL the time..
    & it would also re-inforce that BB is well known for supporting legacy devices,,, they have always updated past devices to the most current possible os that a particular device is capable of running...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 02-05-13 at 12:25 PM.
    02-04-13 12:25 AM
60 123