12-27-12 02:28 PM
33 12
tools
    Microsoft Sales are down even with a new operating system and devices. The indicators are the economy is in the tank, not likely to improve for 2013. A good proportion of users who have bought a tablet/phone/laptop in the past 2 years are not likely to upgrade and 'make do' with whatever they have (including myself).

It's a question of economics rather than taste at this point. This article pretty much sums it up No Sales Pop for a New Version of Windows
    12-26-12 12:37 PM
    Microsoft Sales are down even with a new operating system and devices. The indicators are the economy is in the tank, not likely to improve for 2013. A good proportion of users who have bought a tablet/phone/laptop in the past 2 years are not likely to upgrade and 'make do' with whatever they have (including myself).

It's a question of economics rather than taste at this point. This article pretty much sums it up No Sales Pop for a New Version of Windows
    surely thats different per country/region. in the world outside the US there are carriers that do most phones FREE on contract, so an upgrade wouldnt cause an issue.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-26-12 12:46 PM
    BB10 on it's own? I suggest you spend the next 600 hours reading up on what else RIM has cooking,lol.
    When other markets become profitable, Apple and Samsung will muscle everyone out of that market as well. For RIM to succeed they either need to compete with the best or find some way to make money as a niche player. BB10 on its own does not provide a win in either of these spaces. It remains to be seen how RIM positions itself and it better figure itself out quickly.
    12-26-12 12:47 PM
    It's to early in the game to say BB10 won't succeed. Way to early, especially seeing all the positive press as of late.
    12-26-12 02:22 PM
    I think what BB10 will offer is a point of difference in the mobile market. It does appear there is largely a duopoly (when reading most tech sites/articles), and if experience should teach us anything, it's that competition is good - good for choice, and good for value for $$$ in most cases. I've not had personal experience with any of the windows based mobile systems so can't really comment there, but I think adding another solid operating system from a long-running company with many years of experience in the game can only be a good thing. Using the L series only as an example (because it seems there can only be so much you can do with a big slab of plastic and glass with a virtual keyboard in terms of physical design), the pics and promo video footage look to me to be exciting and new when the OS is shown doing its thing. I'm looking forward to the release so there can again be more choice in the market - and if the number of people using the "BB by Choice" slogan is anything to go by - the expected positive reviews should be encouraging for the future projection for RIM. Critics: Get ready to report on something actual, and not perceived. Then get ready to shut up and fade into the background. The choice is ours, and it's right for us - it doesn't need to be for you.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    12-26-12 04:36 PM
    That actually highlights why it is important for RIM to stay up-to-date with their product porfolio and not get as far behind the competition as they did over the last year. Their reliance on emerging markets is due to a lack of a competitive product for "high value" markets, not due to customer service issues.

I know you've talked about having a poor experience as a Playbook customer before. However, customer service is at best a secondary cause for RIM's current situtation. If they had their current product portfolio combined with the best customer service in the industry, they'd still be in a much worse situation than if they had poor customer service along with BB10 released a year ago.

The following highlights what is wrong with RIM's strategy to date of flipping the bird to existing customers in high value markets:

As RIM put it last quarter:

"Outside of North America, overall performance was
    negatively impacted by pricing pressure due to competitive market dynamics and the aging of the Company's in-market product portfolio, making growth in international markets increasingly more challenging."
    12-26-12 05:39 PM
    Wow this guy has zero business acumen. He should take a few business courses before writing another story about a company's financial prospects. A first year business major would be able to pick his logic apart. Soddy journalism at best.
    12-26-12 09:46 PM
    Shoddy perhaps?
    12-27-12 02:28 PM
33 12