Continuing with the Lenovo theory...Lenovo uses X-Series, Y-Series, etc. for their naming of laptops. Maybe Lenovo and RIM have had a silent partnership understanding that announcing their partnership at the launch event would prove most beneficial for RIM and thus Lenovo. The partnership would result in RIM outsourcing hardware development to Lenovo, hence the Z and X Series phones, but branded the phone BlackBerry as that brand has a dedicated following within Smartphones. Lenovo will not brand their name on the device, but will be partner is hardware and thus taking a percentage of the sales off the devices.
    Balti43 and fedakd like this.
    01-29-13 10:47 PM
    yum blackforest ham
    01-29-13 10:53 PM
    The lenovo thing was a joke. false annoucement by SHORTERS trying to COVER at the last second. Calling it a buyout????

ITS TOO LATE SHORTERS!!! YOU DIDNT GET OUT IN TIME!
    01-29-13 10:54 PM
    yum blackforest ham
    I am eating that too right now. Preserved black forest ham. Got it in Triberg, Germany (blackforest) last month.
    01-29-13 10:55 PM
    The lenovo thing was a joke. false annoucement by SHORTERS trying to COVER at the last second. Calling it a buyout????

that was not a false announcement,,those words came Lenovo CFO
    01-29-13 11:02 PM

You sound crazy, next you will be beating a car with an umbrella like Brit.
    01-29-13 11:12 PM
    It wasn`t a buyout, but RIM WAS in the original press release as a prospective company they were looking into. My guess: the Lenovo couldn`t keep a lid on the partnership and the company`s press had to downplay the rumours.

Most importantly, notice RIM declined to comment...;-)

01-29-13 11:33 PM
    01-29-13 11:37 PM
    PlayBook has been MIA since October, 2012.

BlackBerry PlayBook out of stock at major retailers
    i got mine nov. '12,,, there are plenty on amazon...
    01-30-13 01:11 AM
    If they announce another tablet specifically, they are opening themselves up to criticism if they take too long in bringing it to market. They have to be careful so they don't get burned.
    They might just mention that there will be more phones and tablets in the future, that they are not getting out of the tablet business and as proof, they are updating the current PlayBook with the BB 10 OS in the next X day/weeks.
    After that whole 60 days thing with the playbook, I would suspect that they will stay a looooooooooooooooooong way away from any specific promises about dates for playbook updates, they will simply go for a more general point that they are committed to both bb10 as a mobile os and bringing it to the playbook in time.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-30-13 04:18 AM
    After that whole 60 days thing with the playbook, I would suspect that they will stay a looooooooooooooooooong way away from any specific promises about dates for playbook updates, they will simply go for a more general point that they are committed to both bb10 as a mobile os and bringing it to the playbook in time.
    Yeah! I always wondered if Mike walked into Jim's office and slapped him on the head after he said "email in 60 days".
    01-30-13 04:23 AM
    Yeah! I always wondered if Mike walked into Jim's office and slapped him on the head after he said "email in 60 days".
    Typical marketing management. They make promises with no concept behind what it involves.
    01-30-13 04:47 AM
    Typical marketing management. They make promises with no concept behind what it involves.
    As someone who's worked in both marketing and R&D, I'm kind of offended by the sweeping generalization. While it does happen for sure, I wouldn't say "typical". I've also been on the other side where promised features don't get delivered, don't work right, get sand-bagged excessively etc.

Goes both ways.
    01-30-13 04:50 AM
38 12