So, after doing some of my own amateur research, I have concluded that RIM is going to be announcing a new tablet, whether that's tomorrow, during the Superbowl, or later.

Here's why:

1) I checked Best Buy, Future Shop, Staples, both websites and in store. They no longer have Playbook in stock. Best Buy doesn't even have a clickable page, just a reference to Playbook when you search for "Playbook", Staples doesn't even have that, in fact, according to Staples, Playbook doesn't exist. Why would this be, unless RIM was planning to launch a new tablet? It hasn't been out of stock before. There aren't even display models on the shelves anymore.

2) Apple just announced a 128 GB Tablet to be released on Tuesday Feb 5th (Same day as some project to be the release of BB10 here in North America). According to another thread here on Crackberry, the road map featuring the new "Black Forest" tablet also has 128 GB model. It seems Apple is pre-emptively striking, as they know RIM is announcing a new tablet and want to be "first".

3) This whole Lenovo business smells of something funny. I think analysts used it as bait to up the price of shares, dump and walk away. But then I thought, maybe there's something else here. If RIM announces a new tablet, it takes away from the BB10 phones' debut, and makes RIM look like they're either copying Apple with the "oh, and one more thing" type of announcement. BUT... if they announce a new tablet from LENOVO... saying hey, look, there's another hardware manufacturer ready to license BB10, then that makes RIM look way better, because RIM now gets out of the hardware where they took a beating, and makes money on solely licensing. This would bode will with analysts and investors everywhere. It also makes RIM look ready to take on any company. Other manufacturers would also follow suit, so they aren't limited to just Android and Windows 8.

If there's anything you can add, or critique about my post, please do. I look forward to hearing from you guys.
    eddy_berry, thekidshop and V22 like this.
    01-29-13 09:51 AM
    I agree with a lot of your theory. I really think you've hit the nail on the head with the Lenovo guess. My only comment is that I thought Staples and Best Buy dropped the Playbook about 8-10 months ago or so. My stores haven't had a Playbook or were even willing to discuss them since about the end of Christmas 2011.
    01-29-13 10:05 AM
    That's an interesting observation.

Yes indeed, those sites have no inventory. A few in-store options for The Source, but none available online. Walmart.ca also reports out of stock. CostCo.ca doesn't return any results for "PlayBook" although other tablets are. Sears.ca just has accessories listed.

Somethings up...
    01-29-13 10:07 AM
    Agree there will be a new tablet announced - tomorrow. Phones must be integrated to tablets - the way of the future.
    Blackberry must compete with Apple and the other big boys on every level. Love my Playbook, though.
    01-29-13 10:13 AM
    X10 - keyboard
    Y10 - ??? Tablet ???
    Z10 - all touch screen
    01-29-13 10:14 AM
    for now honestly I think RIM would only launch z10 superphone.. but BB10 on Lenovo 128Gb tablet is an interesting thought...
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-29-13 10:14 AM
    As I stated in another thread about this, they will announce a tablet tomorrow. Not sure what, or when it will be available.
    01-29-13 10:15 AM
    I'm skeptical of any tablet being announced tomorrow. Maybe a date for the update
    01-29-13 10:15 AM
    I hope they do that Lenovo tablet, that would be a nice way to get some tablet market share
    01-29-13 10:17 AM
    might not be announced right away but i can guarantee with 100% certainty that a 10" PlayBook was in the works not long after the first PlayBook was released. That was put on hold for obvious reasons.
    01-29-13 10:19 AM
    I checked Best Buy, Future Shop, Staples, both websites and in store. They no longer have Playbook in stock. Best Buy doesn't even have a clickable page, just a reference to Playbook when you search for "Playbook", Staples doesn't even have that, in fact, according to Staples, Playbook doesn't exist. Why would this be, unless RIM was planning to launch a new tablet? It hasn't been out of stock before. There aren't even display models on the shelves anymore.
    PlayBook has been MIA since October, 2012.

BlackBerry PlayBook out of stock at major retailers
    01-29-13 10:20 AM
    If tomorrow, Thorsten Heins is on stage and invites the Lenovo CEO on stage and he introduces the new Lenovo tablet powered by BB10 (even if it's not available until summer or back to school), I think some bricks will be had.
    fedakd likes this.
    01-29-13 10:23 AM
    In Canada, it has been well stocked until recently
    01-29-13 10:28 AM
    There has been a test device for a 10" PlayBook for some time
    01-29-13 11:13 AM
    Makes no sense for them to release a tablet right away. They won't even have the X10 smartphone ready until sometime in March (Best case scenario), why would they start working on a tablet especially when they know that BB10 will have a few bugs that will need to be sorted out even a month after release.

Maybe just maybe they will annouce a BB10 tablet that could be available later in the year (May/June)
    01-29-13 11:15 AM
    But who says they "just" started working on it? Like I said, 10" PlayBook was on the road map over a year ago.
    01-29-13 11:21 AM
    But who says they "just" started working on it? Like I said, 10" PlayBook was on the road map over a year ago.
    They also had different CEOS and different senior leaders over a year ago. I've heard it several times from friends in R&D at RIM ... Thorsten brought focus to the team. His message was: all hands on deck for the phones, then the PlayBook.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if expecting a new tablet tomorrow and/or BlackBerry 10 for Playbook tomorrow. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't believe it for a second.
    jagrlover likes this.
    01-29-13 11:32 AM
    What do you all (or as they'd say in the south all y'all) think Clewley's been doing for the past year? Sitting on his thumbs? They haven't stopped PlayBook development. They have a dedicated PlayBook group. They haven't been going to work collecting a check(que) for watching Looney Tunes.
    toneytone and jakie55 like this.
    01-29-13 11:41 AM
    What do you all (or as they'd say in the south all y'all) think Clewley's been doing for the past year? Sitting on his thumbs? .
    Working on BlackBerry 10 for the phones ...
    01-29-13 11:43 AM
    X10 - keyboard
    Y10 - ??? Tablet ???
    Z10 - all touch screen
    Interestingly enough, this is a similar naming convention to Thinkpads (started by IBM, but continued by Lenovo).
    01-29-13 11:48 AM
    IMO the recent RIM-Lenovo rumors adds some fire to the tablet rumors, my belief is that RIM is focusing on tablets for a specific segment - enterprise and governments, that is where the strategic partnership between RIM and Lenovo comes in - Lenovo will be the hardware partner and who better than Lenovo can deliver that for enterprises. Lenovo is also threatened by iPad as there is no competing tablet to counter Ipad in enterprise arena. RIM and Lenovo's existing customer base will be their go-to market and add that to a spice called BES and Security which will be easy sell.
    mcmolineux and fedakd like this.
    01-29-13 11:56 AM
    So, after doing some of my own amateur research, I have concluded that RIM is going to be announcing a new tablet, whether that's tomorrow, during the Superbowl, or later.
    After reading the specifications of the BlackBerry Z10 and watching a few videos my thought is there will be no further tablets but we will see BlackBerry Z10-esque smartphones docked with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse in addition to HDMI output and WiFi / wireless carrier network connectivity. Maybe the BlackBerry PlayBook was the prototype for the BlackBerry Z10?
    01-29-13 11:56 AM
    I think that they may mention tablets in passing, reiterating that this platform is about mobile computing and not just phones along with confirming that bb10 will also be coming to playbook eventually, but beyond that there is not going to be anything definite and there definitely won't be bb10 on playbook getting released tomorrow.
    jagrlover likes this.
    01-29-13 12:28 PM
    This theory makes a lot of sense All RIM has to say is coming soon on a Lenovo tablet and if BB10 hits it out of the ballpark....then move over ipad; there's a new sheriff in town.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-29-13 06:04 PM
    If they announce another tablet specifically, they are opening themselves up to criticism if they take too long in bringing it to market. They have to be careful so they don't get burned.
    They might just mention that there will be more phones and tablets in the future, that they are not getting out of the tablet business and as proof, they are updating the current PlayBook with the BB 10 OS in the next X day/weeks.
    01-29-13 10:37 PM
38 12