With the advent of the "world" phones that are out there, why dont they just make one phone that can access any carrier? ( the world phone works here on one network and then switch to the other network overseas why not work on the othere here as well?) that would save on production costs. (would not have to make both a CDMA and GSM model). I would pay the full price for the phone if I could switch carriers at my discretion and even upgrade when I want and not when the carrier believes I have provided enough "loyalty" to them. that would force the carriers to actually pay attention to the needs of the customer.
    07-07-11 03:33 PM
    With the advent of the "world" phones that are out there, why dont they just make one phone that can access any carrier? ( the world phone works here on one network and then switch to the other network overseas why not work on the othere here as well?) that would save on production costs. (would not have to make both a CDMA and GSM model). I would pay the full price for the phone if I could switch carriers at my discretion and even upgrade when I want and not when the carrier believes I have provided enough "loyalty" to them. that would force the carriers to actually pay attention to the needs of the customer.
    isn't that how the new iphone is going to be?
    07-07-11 03:38 PM
    dont follow Iphone, but if they do that, they will definately pull away from all the others.
    07-07-11 03:43 PM
    I dont know much about the guts of the phone but dont CDMA and GSM use different chipsets/processors etc?

Is there a chipset out there that can handle both?
    07-07-11 04:08 PM
    just get a GSM phone
    it is the norm around the world.

whether in north america or china it will get a network.

abandon CDMA
    07-07-11 04:09 PM
    I dont know much about the guts of the phone but dont CDMA and GSM use different chipsets/processors etc?

Is there a chipset out there that can handle both?
    Some manufacturers like Qualcomm make chips that support both GSM and CDMA

it comes down to size of the chips, costs of the chips, and efficiencies.

a world phone either needs the software written so you choose your network manually rather than automatically since you could have a Carrier like Bell Canada that is both GSM and CDMA, thus making you jump from GSM to CDMA for better signal constantly.
    which would really eat up a battery life
    this can be controlled with software though which is done now mostly
    07-07-11 04:19 PM
    My 9650 has cdma and gsm. Not every single band out there, but as I understand, it's pretty versatile. I can also choose from three options: cdma, gsm, or automatic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 05:07 PM
    I think Apple are planning on doing this very thing. Would be great for everyone concerned.
    07-07-11 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD