Hi, I live in NJ and travel a lot - I had been accessing the WCBS880 traffic website at wcbs880 dot com from both my old Treo and my new BB 8830 when traveling to see what the road conditions are in my area. The site has a text-only list of all traffic incidents, sorted by geography then by severity.

In the past few weeks, I found that they appear to have reformatted the site so that if you access it from a mobile device, you can only access their "mobile" page. Of course, this page has about 10 news headlines and obviously no traffic. I've tried changing the emulation settings to "internet explorer" and it had no effect. I tried Opera Mini and get the same result. Oddly enough, I tried the WINS1010 and WFAN websites locally, and they both render precisely the same way (same website developer?).

I don't like the traffic.com service, as it requires you to have a "drive" you do each day, or it does much more NYC rather than NJ traffic. I'm usually interested in the central NJ secondary road issues. I also downloaded eMobile GPS traffic and find that it takes so long to get me the information that it's almost useless. Also, it's not helpful if I'm in central NJ and headed to NYC and want to see whether I should take the GWB, Lincoln or Holland.

Does anyone know any solutions? I looked and don't see any mobile-formatted text-only traffic sites for this area, and I can't figure out how to get the sites that are out there to render properly.

Thanks!

Matt
    05-10-08 08:12 AM
    I suggest you contact the website and suggest that they alter the way they render the information for cellphones or provide a different set of links. A local news site here is sometimes willing to accommodate mobile devices.
    05-10-08 04:12 PM
    Thanks, I actually tried that first. WCBS880 is a huge company, and I guess there isn't enough call for what I'm looking for. I have a feeling, based on the fact that a few other radio stations in the area have identically-formatted sites (WINS, WFAN) that there is some corporate uniformity going on. Maybe they outsource to the same web hosting vendor.

Matt
    05-11-08 09:08 AM
    Good Luck!!
    05-11-08 09:23 AM
    Try the new Yahoo! Go beta 3.0 they have Traffic center under 'maps and direction'. hope this works for you.
    05-11-08 01:16 PM
    Doesn't Google maps do traffic? It sounds like your traveling is very important, maybe you would consider getting a real GPS system of some sort?

I know that's not really what you're looking for, but it may be something to consider.
    05-11-08 01:32 PM
    I don't see traffic under Yahoo Go beta 3.0. Google maps does traffic, but only for interstate highways. The issue is the smaller secondary roads that aren't covered on Google. And yes, I do have a GPS system, but it won't tell me what the traffic is like!
    05-11-08 02:04 PM
    ...In the past few weeks, I found that they appear to have reformatted the site so that if you access it from a mobile device, you can only access their "mobile" page. Of course, this page has about 10 news headlines and obviously no traffic. ...

Thanks!

Matt
    You are using Browser to view the site, I presume. Have you verified which version you are using?

With the page open in Browser, Option key / Page View - Column View.

Try the other view, if it works correctly, re-save your bookmark with that view.

If not... ???
    05-11-08 02:39 PM
    I'm using Blackberry browser 4.2.2, but Opera Mini 4.0 acts the same way. Changing the "view" has no effect - even though I'm going to the normal web page URL, the site is sensing that it's a mobile device and redirecting me to the mobile.wcbs880.com site. I changed the emulation in the browser settings and it had no effect.
    05-11-08 02:51 PM
    I don't see traffic under Yahoo Go beta 3.0. Google maps does traffic, but only for interstate highways. The issue is the smaller secondary roads that aren't covered on Google. And yes, I do have a GPS system, but it won't tell me what the traffic is like!
    Oh ok got ya. I thought that was a normal feature for a GPS. I guess not.
    05-11-08 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD