Hi!

I'm a nursing student in Northern California and I've been researching blackberries for months and have decided to purchase one at the end of the summer. I have heard from some people that nursing programs without internet connection don't run very quickly and are a disappointment. Do the newer models have the same issues?

-------------------------
    Here's a quote from one site I looked at with the complaint:
    " I've added lexi comp to my bb pearl. I do not reccomend it!!

The problem with the software is that it needs an active signal to "pull down" data. The data is not stored on the blackberry much to my dismay. As you know, we live in a world of imperfect cell phone signals, which can even be worse in the confines of a hospital...and of course, does your polices permit the signal on the unit.

Lastly, the access is slow! I do not know why they did this with the blackberrys. They have expandable memory, so why not...ask lexi comp.

***I still fall back on my old trusty palm pilot. Bigger screen, faster access. Dependable, rugged, what more can I say."
    --------------------

I'm graduating in may '09 with my BSN and I really want to integrate an amazing device like this into my care for medication,lab, disorder, etc information at my finger tips. I'm looking to buy the new Blackberry Bold coming out later this year.

Please email me if your a current nurse using this device (and any advice you might have) or if you know anything about program/internet issues. Thank-you so much!!!
    07-08-08 03:12 AM
    Not a nursing student, but I can tell you that a lack of internet connection does not affect the speed of the device.

Having a spotty or poor connection will affect download speeds, but that is a fault of the carrier and/or your location.

If you can find a standalone application that doesn't need to pull data from a server somewhere else you would be perfectly fine with the BB.
    07-08-08 03:26 AM
    There are several medical related programs in the Crackberry store that might fit your needs, and I'm sure if you did enough searching you could find some free ones too.

Medical BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
    07-08-08 03:28 AM
    With the Palm Pilot, apps can run on the memory card I believe, however, with the BB, you can only use the card for media storage as far as I know.
    I am an LPN in the Army, and I know what you mean about wanting the info now, but with the apps only being able to run on the device memory in a BB, I would guess that any reference program would have to access the internet, its just to much information otherwise. With the BB, your best bet currently is prob Verizon, because there devices access the EV-DO network, which is a 3G network. But, I hate to say it, if you want more instant access, stick with the Palm Pilot.
    07-08-08 03:40 AM
    My best bet is try to find a family member or friend who can spare you a BlackBerry for a few hours so you can get the real feel for it. Reading all these posts about what a BB can and cannot do will not compare once you have played with one.

Kronk has mentioned a few excellent points. As for the Bold that's going to be launched soon you wont go wrong with it if you decide to buy a BlackBerry
    07-08-08 04:21 AM
    I am a paramedic. I carry a Palm while at work for all the medical programs. It stores the information on the device. Its quick. And its reliable. You will have no memory left on a BB if you try to store it on the phone. Rim needs to make phone with a lot more memory. Until then I will have to continue to carry a Palm at work. Hope this helps
    07-08-08 07:46 AM
    I'm a medic working in an ER and getting ready to head to into the nursing program. I use PEPID which stores the needed files on the memory card, the main program takes up about 10 megs of BB device memory. Great program with constant updates. I recommend you check it out.
    07-08-08 12:30 PM
    Install epocrates (PDA Medical Software. Medical & drug software for Palm & Windows PDAs) on your BB, it is a complete pharmaceutical drug reference software, most doctors use it (at least while in training), and it is free.
    07-08-08 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD