Help, please. My BB pearl has gone silent. This happened once before and there is a symbol on the upper left corner of my screen that looks like an x in a circle with little sound waves emanating from it. I know that somehow I have silenced the rings coming into my phone. (When my friend calls me, there is no sound). I can make calls, SEE that someone is calling, but there is no sound at all. I've check my profiles and I'm not on mute. I cannot figure out what this "feature" is called nor how to fix it. I cannot receive calls. I've been on 101, and searched under every term I can think of. Can someone please tell me what this is and how to fix it? It has made my BB unusable....
    02-08-09 03:46 PM
    When you go to profiles, make sure that Normal is highlighted, and then press the trackball to select it. It appears as though you are set to off, which is the one with the red X which will have no sounds...
    02-08-09 03:56 PM
    Thanks. I double-checked, but I am not set to "off". I am set to "Jen (active)" which includes a ringer+tone setting. This is my normal setting and has always worked before. It appears to be just like it has always been. Mystifying....
    02-08-09 04:07 PM
    Double check the settings in the profile. Make sure the phone setting didnt get switched to mute instead of high by accident. Also, the ringtone you have set, did you move the file if it is one that you added? It could be having trouble locating your ring tone. Try setting a basic one that comes on the phone and then see if that works out for you.
    02-08-09 04:11 PM
    Just checked....all are set to "high". And "do not disturb" is set to "no". Do you know what that funny symbol is? I know that is related because that is what disappeared the last time we managed to fix this problem.

Thanks!
    02-08-09 04:23 PM
    Have you tried to do a battery pull ( pull the battery for 10 seconds while the phone is powered on) and then put it back in, and see how that goes.
    02-08-09 04:25 PM
    OK. Just did a battery pull as suggested. No change/improvement. The funny symbol is still there -- and the ringer sound is still off/it seems that the ringer is still muted.

Is there a place to look that identifies the symbols that are used on the screen? Maybe that would help me figure out what is going on?
    02-08-09 04:35 PM
    I am looking for a breakdown of the symbols, any way you can get a picture of this posted on here so i can see it?
    02-08-09 04:38 PM
    (+) ))

That's not really a picture, but this is what it looks like. The cross is in a completed circle. And then it has two parentheses-type things that are smaller than normal emanating off of it. It is in the upper left corner of the screen.

I don't know any way to get a real picture of it...sorry.
    02-08-09 04:43 PM
    Hmm, this is very odd, I am unable to find any indicators like this anywhere else. I am still checking into it and seeing if I can find a meaning or a cure for it.

Do you remember how you were able to reset it last time?
    02-08-09 04:51 PM
    I wish! That would be wonderful. It was at least 6 months ago and I don't know.
    02-08-09 04:56 PM
    hmmm, try changing it to another profile click ok, wait a second and then change it back to the one you want to use.
    02-08-09 04:58 PM
    (+) ))

That's not really a picture, but this is what it looks like. The cross is in a completed circle. And then it has two parentheses-type things that are smaller than normal emanating off of it. It is in the upper left corner of the screen.

I don't know any way to get a real picture of it...sorry.
    Isn't that the GPS symbol?
    02-08-09 05:13 PM
    VICTORY! My husband succeeded where I had failed!

Ok, so here is what we discovered....the funny icon is related to GPS location (what?!) and somehow it got turned on (don't ask me how...I have no idea...turning it off took diving into about 8 menu layers). From other posts, it appears that this "feature" allows the phone to be located by the GPS system. Once we figured out how to turn it off the "emanating" indications disappeared -- and the phone's ringer reappeared. Go figure. Anyway, thanks very much for your help. Problem is now solved. And sadly had nothing to do with the perfectly logical approaches that we were trying!
    02-08-09 05:16 PM
    it could be, but im just not sure that would link to their problem, I was thinking it is something different by the way its described in the original post...i could be wrong tho.
    02-08-09 05:16 PM
    I was the original poster. When we made the change, it fixed the original problem. It makes no sense. But it does work. And it reminds me of the first time we had the problem six months ago -- because that time it didn't make any sense either.

Thank you for everyone's help.
    02-08-09 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD