Hi folks I'm looking for some advise from Blackberry Experts due to a problem which is causing my wife and family much distress.

A brief resume is that somebody has created a Twitter Account impersonating my wife and is making derogatory and possibly litegious remarks about friends and co-workers using this account. These have included details about our children which are not public domain, but they are making things up, some of which would be extremely distressing if it ever got back to them. We have asked Twitter to take the account down, but appreciate this takes time, in the meantime they are continually tweeting.

So, why am I asking you good folks for help? Well... we have found that the tweets are coming from a Blackberry, which we might be able to get the number of from Twitter in order to tie down exactly who the person tweeting is. So, the ask is has anybody got any tips as to how where would be a good place to look for details of the number/IS this even possibly.

Many thanks in advance.
    05-22-12 10:36 AM
    Not possible. Maybe if they linked their account to their Facebook one and had a contact or cell phone number listed, but those are pretty big IFs.

You have contacted Twitter, and you should contact your Local Law enforcement and file a report as they can access information that is not readily available to the public.

Not sure where you live, but local laws take precedence. Most States and Provinces have mechanisms in place for libel and slander. That is as much help as you will get here.
    05-22-12 11:00 AM
    Not possible. Maybe if they linked their account to their Facebook one and had a contact or cell phone number listed, but those are pretty big IFs.

You have contacted Twitter, and you should contact your Local Law enforcement and file a report as they can access information that is not readily available to the public.

Not sure where you live, but local laws take precedence. Most States and Provinces have mechanisms in place for libel and slander. That is as much help as you will get here.
    Thanks, it's a bit more interesting. We've contacted Twitter and the local Police. Twitter have agreed to take the account down, the local police were a bit useless tbh and weren't particularly interested. Though, where she works is now at least taking it a bit more seriously, especially as they found out what I do (work in IT, with a particular interest in "tracking people down") and know I'm not going to drop the matter until it stops.

Anybody else got any ideas?
    05-22-12 11:11 AM
    Thanks, it's a bit more interesting. We've contacted Twitter and the local Police. Twitter have agreed to take the account down, the local police were a bit useless tbh and weren't particularly interested. Though, where she works is now at least taking it a bit more seriously, especially as they found out what I do (work in IT, with a particular interest in "tracking people down") and know I'm not going to drop the matter until it stops.

Anybody else got any ideas?
    Something similar happened in Canada and they could trace it.

Vic Toews: Twitter Posts On Divorce From Account Linked To Commons Prompt Public Safety Minister To Call For Investigation
    05-22-12 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD