Hi all,

So sorry for sounding like an *****; I'm new to the world of blackberries and want one for my business for sending and receiving secure messages to my employees.

How do I go about buying a blackberry and setting up pgp encryption.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

Regards

Alan
    02-11-14 01:53 PM
    Well you can figure how to buy the BlackBerry yourself, at least I hope you can. As for the PgP, only option is a third party application. I know of only 1 so far in BlackBerry World. Should be pretty simple enough to setup since it does not directly send and receive, you will have to copy and paste a lot.
    02-11-14 01:56 PM
    BBM itself doesn't do PGP encryption, but there are PGP apps for BB10 (as of a week ago, funny enough): PGpgp - BlackBerry World
    FijiBB likes this.
    02-11-14 01:57 PM
    I was just gonna do the link thing too.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...countrycode=CA

You beat me to it.
    02-11-14 01:58 PM
    Ok yes I've read about this app. What do you lot mean copy and paste?
    Does this app work on the old blackberry devices?
    But i was thinking about adding php encryption to the blackberry device so it can integrate with bum - if that makes sense.
    02-11-14 01:59 PM
    Ok yes I've read about this app. What do you lot mean copy and paste?
    Does this app work on the old blackberry devices?
    But i was thinking about adding php encryption to the blackberry device so it can integrate with bum - if that makes sense.
    I don't think it works for legacy.

As for the PGpgp app itself, once you create your encrypted message, you can export it to a file, or leverage the BB10 share menu to send it via BBM/text/whatever. However, decrypting a message requires copying the PGP message block and pasting it into the app's decryption field.
    02-11-14 02:13 PM
    Will anyone with that app be able to decrypt your message or only someone with the key of the person sending?
    02-11-14 02:48 PM
    They would need the app and the appropriate key.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    02-11-14 03:44 PM
    Will anyone with that app be able to decrypt your message or only someone with the key of the person sending?
    Hello Machette,
    I am glad you are interested in PGpgp.
    It works just like any other implementation of PGP, so to encrypt the message you need to have someone's public key, and to decrypt the message you need to have your private key (and password).
    How you transmit the message - it depends on you, it may be email, bbm, sms, whatsapp, whatever. It is just a plain text.
    Soon I plan to release a new version, with more intagration to the hub - probably copying a received message to the PGpgp for the decryption will be easier. One will be able also to decrypt the message opening .txt or .asc file (using 'open with' function). Currently it is not possible to decrypt the message 'on the fly', during displaying an email or bbm. Maybe in the future versions of BlackBerry10 SDK....
    Sending encrypted message is much easier - from the application you may save it to the file or just send using any of the programs which are registered as a targets for the SHARE option.
    In case of any questions, email me.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    02-28-14 09:40 AM
    So this message if being sent to a group or more than 1 person, the message would need to be encrypted with each of the recipients public key, correct. Or am I incorrect?

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    02-28-14 09:59 AM
    yes and no
    1) yes, message is encrypted for the one recipient, so you must encrypt your message separately for each of them. I would say that it is normal and the most common situation.
    2) no, if all the people use this same same set of public/private keys. Anyone who has a proper private key may decrypt the message - it may be you using other device, it may be someone else. (that's why storing private key and the password in secure place is VERY important)
    02-28-14 10:06 AM
    Blackberry 10 devices should have built in encryption such as CyanogenMod devices...

https://whispersystems.org/blog/cyanogen-integration/

It would be wise for BBM.com to hire Moxie Marlinspike if they want stronger security for the BBM cross-platform app. If twitter can hired him for a pretty $, surely BBM.com can. It would be a good business plan and well worth it.

Or have an app such as textsecure...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per+textsecure

Textsecure is extremely easy to use. No copy paste, etc. And it's end-to-end encryption as long as the sender and receiver have the app.
    Last edited by gdarmy; 03-02-14 at 11:34 AM.
    03-02-14 11:19 AM
    Blackberry 10 devices should have built in encryption such as CyanogenMod devices...

https://whispersystems.org/blog/cyanogen-integration/

Or have an app such as textsecure...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per+textsecure

Textsecure is extremely easy to use. No copy paste, etc. And it's end-to-end encryption as long as the sender and receiver have the app.
    Or they can just use BBM, it's encrypted.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 11:28 AM
    Or they can just use BBM, it's encrypted.

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong, the consumer BBM app is awesome.

However, journalist, whistleblowers, and small businesses that don't have the financial resources for a BES server but require strong communication security/privacy are turning to textsecure app.

If the BBM app had this strong of encryption built in (with the help of Moxie's coding expertise), it would be a strong selling feature and consumers from other messaging apps would switch to BBM in droves.
    03-02-14 11:52 AM
    Don't get me wrong, the consumer BBM app is awesome.

However, journalist, whistleblowers, and small businesses that don't have the financial resources for a BES server but require strong communication security/privacy are turning to textsecure app.

If the BBM app had this strong of encryption built in (with the help of Moxie's coding expertise), it would be a strong selling feature and consumers from other messaging apps would switch to BBM in droves.
    your right, unless it's BES, if you need top security it's not a good idea to use BBM.

There was a case here in Montreal where an entire organised crime organisation was caught cause they intercepted their BBM communications. They weren't on BES.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:39 PM