OK I am a noob wanting to get a Crackberry Bold.

The phone has wifi so that will satisfy my web surfing at no extra cost as long as I am using free wifi (as far as I understand).

They tell me I must get a data plan with the phone in addition to the voice plan, so I figure I will get the cheapest data plan available which is $15 a month. That is good for 2MB of data.

Am I correct in saying that if I connect to the internet using the Bold on wifi that I will NOT be charged any part of the 2MB of available data?

When I need to use the Bold to access my email, how many email messages will 2MB of data hold? and..... when accessing my email am I connected to the internet and is that using up some of the data as well?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions, I am just trying to figure out this data thing. Right now I just use a basic phone and talk and text.
    04-10-09 12:51 AM
    1) WiFi will not incur any charges for you. That's the point and
    the beauty of it.

2) It will take a ton of emails to consume 2mb, unless they
    are huge and laden with large attachments. Honestly most people
    with a data plan who Email, BBM, GPS, text/picture mail, and
    web surf never come close to 2mb

I think you will be fine.
    04-10-09 01:08 AM
    I'm on WAP so I can't tell what carrier you have.

I'm assuming ATT. I have ATT as well but I'm not aware of lower priced data plans. But if this $15 data plan you're referring to isn't an actual BlackBerry data plan I don't think you'll be able to e-mail over wi-fi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 01:21 AM
    I'm on WAP so I can't tell what carrier you have.

I'm assuming ATT. I have ATT as well but I'm not aware of lower priced data plans. But if this $15 data plan you're referring to isn't an actual BlackBerry data plan I don't think you'll be able to e-mail over wi-fi.

I don't have the Bold yet, but would be going with Rogers (Canada) and the $15 data plan is a Rogers data plan.
    04-10-09 01:38 AM
    I don't have the Bold yet, but would be going with Rogers (Canada) and the $15 data plan is a Rogers data plan.
    But is it a regular internet data plan or a Blackberry internet plan?

04-10-09 01:57 AM
    It is a Blackberry data plan.
    04-10-09 02:06 AM
    You should be fine. I believe that e-mail always uses the data plan, since the BB communicates with RIM's servers instead of your BB communicating directly with your POP account. It's what makes push-email work so well.

As long as you set up your BB to use WiFi, it won't use your data plan. Some applications don't use the WiFi connection, so make sure to check out the data-intensive applications to make sure they suit your needs (some IM applications use data only).

Also, if you plan on using a GPS application, it will draw off of your data connection to update maps and such. It expects you to be travelling and not have a constant WiFi connection.
    04-10-09 05:24 AM
    Just a thought... Rogers offers an unlimited email plan for $15. If you're willing to only be able to check your emails (and use bbm / windows live im / google talk / yahoo im), then that may be an idea as it is UNLIMITED. Just with the 2mb plan if you go over it you'll get charged $5 for every mb (for 5 mb) and then $.03 / mb from there... I used to have the email only plan and although you won't be able to access some 3rd party apps, that may be a godsend as those apps may be data guzzlers anyways.
    04-10-09 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD