I would really like to get a Blackberry pearl, but am having a hard time justifying the extra $30 a month for the data plan on Verizon. Part of this is because I have absolutely no experience with a Blackberry so I don't know everything that it can do. I know you can get on the internet and check your email but I also know that other devices are capable of that as well. What is it that puts Blackberrys over the top? Thanks!
    09-29-08 06:23 PM
    I can't really help that much justifying getting a Pearl... but I'm biased against that thing.

I would have to say that if you want to get the most out of a BlackBerry, go with a Curve or maybe even just wait for the Bold.

There are so many applications, games, etc, that will blow your mind.

If you don't think you'll be browsing the web or using IM programs from your BB, then I don't really know how to justify even bothering with unlimited data.
    09-29-08 06:26 PM
    I just bought my first BB (Curve 8330) and I love it! I highly suggest checking it out. Once you get a BB, you will wonder to yourself...how on earth did I survive without one.

Good luck
    09-29-08 06:34 PM
    Its a BlackBerry...duh. Honestly if you're on the fence on this maybe looking at what your friends have. If a lot of them have a BB then it'll be worth it. If they don't you could always be that friend that sells them on getting one too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 06:59 PM
    Very true I mean since I got one a little over a month ago I've been on it non stop I get so much done with it that I coulnt b4, I mean its great!

09-29-08 07:00 PM
    I just got my first blackberry too, the verizon 8330. As a matter of fact its my first smart phone and trust me you won't regret it. I went from having a phone that I used for text messaging to a smart phone that is basically the center of all my information. I get my email instantly, browse the web and get all my sports updates, stay up to date on all kinds of information I would rarely touch before.
    Plus he other amazing thing about the blackberry is all the software that is written for it, all kinds of nifty programs to make everything a little easier.

09-29-08 07:37 PM
    P.S. I don't use mine for work at all so it is completely possible to enjoy these phones from the consumer side of things.

09-29-08 07:39 PM
    Blackberries are great devices, but honestly, if you can't even justify the extra cost per month, how can any of us justify it for you?

09-29-08 07:40 PM
    I agree with Ironcrowned, I would go with a Curve too.
    Once you have it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.
    Yes..they don't call it 'crackberry' for nothing..
    09-29-08 08:02 PM
    I understand how u feel. I went from a regular phone to my first smartphone ever and fretted each day over spending extra $ for internet/email plan. But I have to say now that its been about a month and half and I've past the OMG stage and am so happy and thoroughly enjoying the BB Curve that I can't see myself ever going back to a regular phone
    09-29-08 08:05 PM
    Blackberries are great devices, but honestly, if you can't even justify the extra cost per month, how can any of us justify it for you?

bingo. came in here to post just that.
    09-29-08 08:05 PM
    -----

Getting on the Net on the BB Curve is pretty useless. Somebody's got to come up with something better than this. Email is great but surfing the Net is a joke, the screen is so small you can't see the page, and navigating even a page takes forever, not to mention trying to go to different sites. It's not worth the money you pay every month for it. "Everything else" but the Net experience is good on the Curve.
    09-29-08 08:22 PM
    -----

Getting on the Net on the BB Curve is pretty useless. Somebody's got to come up with something better than this. Email is great but surfing the Net is a joke, the screen is so small you can't see the page, and navigating even a page takes forever, not to mention trying to go to different sites. It's not worth the money you pay every month for it. "Everything else" but the Net experience is good on the Curve.
    Maybe you should try Opera Mini. I have no problems surfing the net.

09-30-08 05:58 AM
    bingo. came in here to post just that.
    You guys both beat me to it. If the cost is whats holding you back you should prolly look into other phones. You don't want to get it and then in 2 or 3 months you can't pay the service bills.
    09-30-08 07:03 AM
    If you run around and get lost like I always do, you'll also like it.
    09-30-08 08:09 AM
    I went from a regular phone to a treo to a BB honestly I use the BB more than I have ever used a phone, and I think the web surfing is fine and the screen is clear even with a lower res than the treo it is so much clearer. once you get a BB you will figure out what you can do on it and chances are you will join the addiction!
    09-30-08 08:52 AM
    Me too minus the Treo. BB rules!!! Getting the iPhone 3G to use at night whenever my dad is at my house bcause its his.

09-30-08 08:56 AM
    Between Opera Mini and sticking to mobile formatted sites, the internet on a BlackBerry is not "useless." It's not perfect like having a computer in front of you, obviously, but I still use it for news, sports, weather, wikipedia, maps, looking up phone numbers and addresses and plenty more... That's better than nothing.
    09-30-08 10:02 AM
    They look COOL :-)
    09-30-08 10:43 AM
    Justifying a data package is a hard thing to do - IF you're not sure that you'll be using two of the BlackBerrys most loved features - that is, instant eMail & messaging along with web-browsing.
    I just bought a Curve 8330 last week, never owned a "smartphone" before - and my God, this thing is fun to use.

Some of the reasons I went with the BlackBerry vs other devices I looked into were: Availability of 3rd party software - the library is huge.
    True web browsing, not some "web 2.0" dumbed-down internet experience.
    (granted, it's browsing on a 360 x 240 rez. screen, but if I wanted total immersion, I'd have bought a laptop wouldn't I?)
    Standard "smartphone" touches, like adding notes & memos to contacts, setting reminders & alerts and such.
    A whole online community (Crackberry!) of other BlackBerry users that one can use to learn, find answers about and check out cool stuff FOR your BlackBerry. Certainly not going to find THAT with your LG Voyager.

But again, I was able to justify the added cost of a data package because I DO utilize all the offerings the BlackBerry has.
    The question for you, is would you use them in a pocketable mobile device - OR - would you be better off sticking with a standard cell phone & doing all that online stuff on your home computer instead?
    Depends on your interests I suppose.

If eMail & messaging anywhere isn't a biggie - and whatever form of browser your cell phone comes with is good enough for quick & simple searches, then you might not need a BlackBerry. On the other hand, if you're a business-traveler, or someone who needs to eMail & message on-the-go, and wants a set of better internet browsing abilitys - the BlackBerry could serve you well.

Just be sure to do a bit of research & really find out what a BlackBerry device can & cannot do. Example: I bought mine knowing full well these devices are primarily aimed at PC/Windows users & their suite of programs - I use a Mac for my designing, so a lot of things a BlackBerry can synch with on a PC, I'm out of luck on. But that's ok - I just wanted mine as pretty-much a stand-alone piece of equipment to access mail & do some browsing with. Oh! and as a decent Phone - that's important. Not that there isn't any software out there that (might) help- I'm just so far not impressed with any version of PocketMac or other applications I've read in review, to warrant trying to "fix" my BlackBerry for a Mac - at least for now anyway.

Bottom line: do a bit of digging & ask a lot of questions.
    09-30-08 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD