Before anyone gets confused I do know the the Bold 9650 and Torch 9800 aren't on the same carriers. So let me explain. My contract with verizon is up in febuary. So I'm thinking of switching to either sprint or AT&T. No particular dislike to the verizon as a whole but, being more expensive than either of the other opinions I have no desire to stay with verizon. That and I can get a discount on at&t plans to make it similar in price to sprint.

But, I have a Droid? Why switch to a blackberry? Well, when I first joined verizon I had a Blackberry Storm. I overall liked the device but, the screen stopped clicking in the lower right hand corner and made typing a pain. The Droid had just been released and decided that I want to try out the android platform. At first I thought it was the greatest device I've ever used. That was until after the initial excitement wore off. One of my biggest problem with the android platform is email. Syncing other email accounts besides gmail has always been a hassle for me. I would constantly get emails that I had previously deleted. Sometimes emails that were months old. I've tried to fix the issue but, I've turned off syncing emails to my Droid besides gmail. And even gmail has its problems. Sometimes emails don't get sent to my Droid until hours after I've received them. Email is important to me so I can't continue to have a device that only works some of the time.

Now that you know why I want to go back to a blackberry I'll explain my choices. The bold 9650 seems to be one of the best non touch screen blackberry that is offered on sprint. I would choose the 9670 but, I don't care for the clamshell form factor. And the torch 9800 seems to be the best of both worlds with the touch screen and slide out keyboard combo. Also the new os6 social feeds on the device are appealing to me. Facebook, twitter, etc.

There are a few things I'd like to know before I made my choice.

Will the 9650 get a full featured os6?
    I see there are some leaked os6 for the 9650 but, aren't full featured? Will the 9650 ultimately get a full os6?

How are the keyboards?

How smooth is navigation?
    It would seem navigation on the 9800 would be better because of the touch screen but, I'd like personal opinions from actual users.

Music player?
    I prefer caring my music on my phone as opposed to have a separate mp3 player. Is either better than the other?

Overall smoothness of operation?
    I know there are no phones that work flawlessly but, I'd still like to know how well each device runs? Any slow Downs navigating through the device? How often do they crash?

Sorry for the long post but, I wanted to be through.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 09:38 AM
    sounds like your mind is made up....Torch...the best of both worlds and the navigation is flawless
    12-07-10 09:59 AM
    One other variable you may want to think about is quality of service. How does Sprint and AT&T service compair to Verizon in your area? No matter which phone you choose, if the service is poor you will not get full enjoyment from your phone.

I would love to have a Torch but AT&T service sucks big time in my area so no Torch for me.
    12-07-10 10:25 AM
    Lol. Well mostly made up. But, there are alot of reviews out there that say otherwise. And believe me I think I've read most of them.but, I'm sure most if not all of the reviews don't have the updated is for the torch. But if this was true and the navigation and touch screen were buggy and slow I'd have no problems using a bold 9650.

Signal for both at&t and sprint are good. 3g looks like it's better for at&t however. This is judging by the online maps and personal opinion from friends and coworkers.

Last edited by terreos; 12-07-10 at 10:38 AM.
    12-07-10 10:34 AM
    Definitely wouldn't go by the online maps. They are very misleading. If you have friends/coworkers that say the service is good, you're probably fine.

Have you tried the two devices out? I suggest going to an AT&T and Sprint store and giving them each a "test drive". Many don't like the thin feel of the Torch keyboard. Obviously, more people do like it than don't. Personally, I prefer the form factor of a Bold. For one, you don't have to slide the screen up every time you want to type a message.

We can all give you our opinions, but yours still might be different. Best to try them out for yourself if possible.
    terreos likes this.
    12-07-10 10:54 AM
    I have the Torch and I love it. I put all my music on my phone as well. I find the browser to be super fast on 2G, love the OS6, and I sooo love having the full screen plus the physical keyboard, I hate using virtual keyboards as I mess up a lot and hate fingerprints on my pretty screen. I just adore this phone!
    terreos likes this.
    12-07-10 11:01 AM
    Definitely wouldn't go by the online maps. They are very misleading. If you have friends/coworkers that say the service is good, you're probably fine.

Have you tried the two devices out? I suggest going to an AT&T and Sprint store and giving them each a "test drive". Many don't like the thin feel of the Torch keyboard. Obviously, more people do like it than don't. Personally, I prefer the form factor of a Bold. For one, you don't have to slide the screen up every time you want to type a message.

We can all give you our opinions, but yours still might be different. Best to try them out for yourself if possible.
    I've tried out the Bold 9650. I like the layout and it seems easy to use. Like I mentioned though my main concern is the OS5. If the phone gets a full OS6 upgrade I might think why not use the Bold?

I haven't tried a Torch yet. But, I know from my personal experiences so far I like using a touchscreen for navigation but, loathe it for typing. I'll be sure to give it a trial run next time I visit bestbuy.

And I know it's my opinion that comes down to it in the end. However, I just didn't want to be disappointed in my final choice. Meaning if I got the Torch and figured the 9650 was good enough or if I got the 9650 and found it not good enough. If you catch my drift.

I have the Torch and I love it. I put all my music on my phone as well. I find the browser to be super fast on 2G, love the OS6, and I sooo love having the full screen plus the physical keyboard, I hate using virtual keyboards as I mess up a lot and hate fingerprints on my pretty screen. I just adore this phone!
    That's something I didn't mention before was how much I hate using an on screen keyboard. A good example is I sometimes can not for the life of me hit the "O" key. Even when I try my hardest to hit it I for some reason hit it on an odd angle and keep hitting "I". Very frustrating if I'm trying to type "TOP" and I keep typing "TIP".

Browsing is also kind on minor for me as I do very little of it on my phone. I normally have a computer within walking distance at work and at home I got my trusty laptop. Not much reason for me personally to use it. But, it is nice to have while on the trolley.

And I can assume the Torch sounds good if you carry it around for you're music? I have a pair of earphones that use an in-line controller so I can change tracks or volume without pullin out the device. Know if these would work for the torch?
    Last edited by terreos; 12-07-10 at 11:27 AM.
    12-07-10 11:21 AM
    I have a bold 9650 and there is no such thing as a watered down os6. The leaks that are out for the bold are full versions of os6 and for me are very good. These are only leaks, and i love os6 and cant wait to try it out when its optimized. I to dont like carrying around multiple devices and have all my music on my bold. It sounds good and works with my earphones with in-line controllers. Both devices are very good, but for me the bold gets the job done.
    12-07-10 11:38 AM
    I have a bold 9650 and there is no such thing as a watered down os6. The leaks that are out for the bold are full versions of os6 and for me are very good. These are only leaks, and i love os6 and cant wait to try it out when its optimized. I to dont like carrying around multiple devices and have all my music on my bold. It sounds good and works with my earphones with in-line controllers. Both devices are very good, but for me the bold gets the job done.
    I'm a little shocked. I was under the impression that the leaked os6 for 9650 wasn't fully functional for the social feeds aspect of the os? From the way you put things it would seem that I'm misinformed?
    Definitely great news to hear my in-line earphones will work. Would be unhappy to lose that ability.

12-07-10 01:05 PM
    I'm a little shocked. I was under the impression that the leaked os6 for 9650 wasn't fully functional for the social feeds aspect of the os? From the way you put things it would seem that I'm misinformed?
    Definitely great news to hear my in-line earphones will work. Would be unhappy to lose that ability.

Social Feeds works just fine.
    12-07-10 01:12 PM
    I can give you my 2 cents on the subject.

First off, I began many years ago with Verizon - I had no problems with them, however, I travel abroad alot, and having a CDMA phone quickly got on my nerves, and I had to switch.

So I chose the best GSM provider at the time which was ATT. So consider this, do you travel often abroad? If so, Verizon may not be the best (same goes for Sprint).

So as for devices, well that is where I so far have loved ATT. They are great with having the newest and the best (except for...WHERE R U 9780 QQ!!!) And as far as the Torch goes, first off I would like to say no offense to anyone who uses or has a Torch and loves it - more power to you. However, its a phone you really should play with before buying, because I believe its a love-hate relationship with that phone. I personally, well I would love to see every single Torch at the bottom of the ocean. I still have a Torch, and its my backup phone, or often I have friends visiting from Europe and I loan the phone to them to use while they are in the United States. If I had no use for it, I would have made a video of me sawing it half with a chainsaw. Anyway, enough of me ranting about the Torch, because some love the touch screen and the keyboard and the functionality of the phone, to each his own, and I respect that.

So you have considered the Bold 9650 though - may I ask why not the 9780? Yes it is not on ATT yet but it will be - patience is a virtue.

I also have a work phone, which used to be on ATT however, I wanted a bit of versatility so I waited for that contract to end and made a new one with T-Mobile. So now I have both carriers - and comparing the two, I must say my experience with T-Mobile so far has been extremely pleasant.

I would definitely consider T-Mobile as a choice, they are not the biggest and best by far - but in all fairness they are getting really good, they are up to date with their phones, their prices are I believe one of (if not) the best. Yes, they do have their shortcoming, their reception is a bit spotty (ok, fine, REALLY spotty) but for someone who lives in a big city or near a large town, T-Mobile would be an excellent choice.

And to try and answer some of your questions -

The bold 9650 is a very smooth device, great phone, as most bolds are. The Torch, is always very smooth (if you get a working device) however the keyboard is a bit thin, which some have complained about on the Torch.

The Bold's keyboard has to be one of the best out there on any phone in my opinion, so you will have no problems with that.
    Also, T-Mobiles Early Termination Fee if you for some reason were to regret going with them, well its also a lot cheaper then the others. For ATT its 325 (minus 10 for every month you are with them) and for T-Mobile its 200 (minus something that I cannot recall.)

If your a big music guy - honestly the Torch may be better because it would be easier to navigate, however, with a larger SD card, both phones can easily hold a large music library and are more than adequate for use as an MP3.
    Last edited by shamoo711; 12-07-10 at 01:42 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-07-10 01:40 PM
    Social Feeds works just fine.
    Very happy to know that. But, you're not making my decision any easier now by telling me that?

12-07-10 02:24 PM
    Keep in mind, the CDMA Bold (9650) is a world phone which has a CDMA radio for Sprint/Verizon (have to use the one appropriately branded for which service you want) but it also has a GSM radio and a SIM card slot for use when traveling abroad. (You could use it in the US on GSM also but you won't get 3g).

Personally, I would be leery of changing carriers to someone I wasn't sure of their coverage. Make sure, as was mentioned, that you ask some people about their real world experience of the coverage, versus just checking the maps.
    12-07-10 02:35 PM
    You really can't go wrong with either device. Are you sure the costs are equal? Usually sprint is cheaper. Also with ATT, you data is probably not unlimited. HOWEVER that being said, IF the cost are equal, I would go for the Torch!
    12-07-10 02:41 PM
    Keep in mind, the CDMA Bold (9650) is a world phone which has a CDMA radio for Sprint/Verizon (have to use the one appropriately branded for which service you want) but it also has a GSM radio and a SIM card slot for use when traveling abroad. (You could use it in the US on GSM also but you won't get 3g).

Personally, I would be leery of changing carriers to someone I wasn't sure of their coverage. Make sure, as was mentioned, that you ask some people about their real world experience of the coverage, versus just checking the maps.
    I haven't had to do any travelling over seas yet. But, that is something to consider.

The main reason I want to switch is cost. I get a discount on AT&T plans through my company and Sprint is well...cheaper. I will ask more people and see if I get any warnings. So far I'm getting good praise about both from friends and co-workers.

You really can't go wrong with either device. Are you sure the costs are equal? Usually sprint is cheaper. Also with ATT, you data is probably not unlimited. HOWEVER that being said, IF the cost are equal, I would go for the Torch!
    I get a discount through my company if I have an AT&T phone and plan. I'd be paying about $5 more a month ((not including tax)) monthly if I got the torch in comparison to the bold on sprint. But, I'd be paying less for the phone upfront since the torch is $99 and the Bold is $199. So in the end it's gonna be similar in price. Either way it's cheaper than verizon by a good bit.

And you're correct about AT&T's data plan not being unlimited. It ranges from 200mb to 4GB. The one I'd get would be 2GB per month. I've looked over ALL my verizon bills and I never went over 1GB per month. So it would suit me perfectly.
    12-07-10 08:06 PM
    sounds like your mind is made up....Torch...the best of both worlds and the navigation is flawless
    ^^^ this

10 char
    12-07-10 09:38 PM
    I actually got to play with both devices last night while I was out doing some last minute christmas shopping. It was nice being able to compare them side by side this way.

The bold I liked because it was simple in the fact that when I would pull the device out it was ready to go. The keys felt less clicky and had a soft press feel to them if that makes any sense? It may have just been the one I was looking at because it felt a bit off. Still felt great in the hand and was a good size.

The torch was fun to play with. It didn't seem as snappy as the bold. But, it seemed responsive. The keys didn't have as much throw to them but, had that nice loud click when you pressed in a key. However, I like using my phone one handed. I found the Torch very hard to open with one hand without presing something or the screen. I could open the device by putting my thumb at the bottom lip and pushing up with alot of force but, it wasn't as easy to open as I would have liked.

Good thing I still have about two months to decide.

12-08-10 08:38 AM
    The slider does become easier to open after a little while, I use my thumb at the bottom of the slider to push upward. I typically leave the slider open if I know I'm going to be typing on it. And trust me, the Torch in the store isn't very impressive. I was all set to get the newest Bold available for AT&T because my friend has a Bold and enjoyed playing on hers a bit, but I really love the full screen PLUS the keyboard (as I already mentioned, I hate fingerprints on my screen so I was thrilled to have a big screen, plus the physical keyboard). I had never really heard anything about the Torch before I was in the store. I was so deadset on the Bold, but I'm really glad I got the Torch. OS6 is sooo very nice, I find the phone to be incredibly fast and I haven't had ANY issues with this phone. It's fabulous!
    12-09-10 05:22 AM
    The slider does become easier to open after a little while, I use my thumb at the bottom of the slider to push upward. I typically leave the slider open if I know I'm going to be typing on it. And trust me, the Torch in the store isn't very impressive. I was all set to get the newest Bold available for AT&T because my friend has a Bold and enjoyed playing on hers a bit, but I really love the full screen PLUS the keyboard (as I already mentioned, I hate fingerprints on my screen so I was thrilled to have a big screen, plus the physical keyboard). I had never really heard anything about the Torch before I was in the store. I was so deadset on the Bold, but I'm really glad I got the Torch. OS6 is sooo very nice, I find the phone to be incredibly fast and I haven't had ANY issues with this phone. It's fabulous!
    That's great to know. Leaving it open wouldn't be much of an option for me unless I'm at a meeting. I move around too much. You should see me with my droid currently. I'm constantly wiping the screen off to keep it smudge free. Not much for fingerprints on my screen while I type or read email either. But, I can't argue I love the ease of use that a touchscreen provides. Just can't stand typing on it. I'll play with the devices some more before long but, I think it's safe to say I'm swaying pretty heavily towords the Torch.

And you did not just say fabulous.
    12-09-10 11:18 AM
    Go for the torch! I can't wait to get mine. Plus att is very good. I've had att for the past 4 years and have never had a problem.

12-09-10 11:34 AM
    AT&T from what I've been told by my coworkers and such say has good coverage in my area. So I should have a good experience. Pittsburgh for anyone that's curious is the city I work near.

12-09-10 01:06 PM
    The Bold will have 6.0
    12-15-10 12:54 AM
    I love my bold however the paint started peeling off the #2 key for no reason when it was only 5 weeks old. I take very good care of my phone...never been dropped, has a protective case on etc... when I googled this issue a bunch of posts regarding paint peeling off the keys of bold 9650 came up. Seems to be a paint issue but verizon isnt admitting to it and they dont want to replace it. Just something to keep in mind.
    12-16-10 11:07 AM
    As long as Att is good in your area and you like the touchscreen you should go with the torch. Its the most advanced bb, already has OS6, and the bigger screen will be better for navigation.
    12-16-10 04:08 PM
    I have the torch so I'm bias but the torch is great.

12-17-10 07:18 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD