(Curve 8330 VZW) I purchased the Freedom 2000 puck and installed via the "Set Up Bluetooth" icon.

When I highlight the name Freedom 2000, there is no "connection" option on the menu, as there is with my earpiece. Is the connection automatic.

This entire GPS thing is a major PITA.

Thanks in advance.
    07-10-08 11:34 PM
    Using the Setup (Wrench) and Advanced and then GPS and make sure that the Keychain GPS 2000 is selected.

Then you will need a program that uses the gps like BBmaps (google can be problematic with the puck - it usually needs bbmaps running to work regularly) If the blue light is flashing on both, then it is connecting.

You might need to use options in whatever gps program to tell it where your gps is or what it is.
    07-11-08 12:25 AM
    Using the Setup (Wrench) and Advanced and then GPS and make sure that the Keychain GPS 2000 is selected.

Then you will need a program that uses the gps like BBmaps (google can be problematic with the puck - it usually needs bbmaps running to work regularly) If the blue light is flashing on both, then it is connecting.

You might need to use options in whatever gps program to tell it where your gps is or what it is.
    Thanks but I have no wrench icon. Do you mean the "Set Up Bluetooth" icon? When I select that, I do not have an "Advanced" option.

I'm using a Curve 8330, FWIW.

Thanks for your help.
    07-11-08 07:48 AM
    Puck = Freedom bluetooth device

The "wrench" icon is the Setup or OPTIONS icon which allows you to set various options on the BB. Screen/keyboard, Password, etc. I may not be calling the right name but I'm sure you have something like it. Once in that, near the top of the LIST is Advanced and under Advanced is GPS.

But what does your Bluetooth icon show? Does it show the puck? At the puck, press the Trackball. Then pick Device Properties. Press the BB-key (left of trackball) and then Refresh Service List to kind of reactivate or select the puck

Again, you need an application that will use the puck. As a good test - BBmaps (not sure if it is installed but is available from Rim)
    07-11-08 11:19 AM
    Thanks - I'll give it a try. Appreciate your help.
    07-11-08 05:29 PM
    Puck = Freedom bluetooth device

The "wrench" icon is the Setup or OPTIONS icon which allows you to set various options on the BB. Screen/keyboard, Password, etc. I may not be calling the right name but I'm sure you have something like it. Once in that, near the top of the LIST is Advanced and under Advanced is GPS.

But what does your Bluetooth icon show? Does it show the puck? At the puck, press the Trackball. Then pick Device Properties. Press the BB-key (left of trackball) and then Refresh Service List to kind of reactivate or select the puck

Again, you need an application that will use the puck. As a good test - BBmaps (not sure if it is installed but is available from Rim)
    THAT DOES IT!! Thanks!
    07-11-08 05:33 PM
    You are welcome - just curious - what program are you using with the puck?
    07-11-08 06:24 PM
    You are welcome - just curious - what program are you using with the puck?
    I'm looking to buy the same GPS unit this weekend, and I figured I'd use it with BB Maps instead of Google Maps (I've already heard that GMaps has some problems with the puck.).

Do you suggest a different software program?

I would actually prefer to have the maps saved to my phones memory so that I wouldn't lose my maps once I leave the coverage area. Does map software, that can save maps on the 8330's external memory, exist?
    07-12-08 01:10 PM
    Trekbuddy and Mobile Gmaps (I think) will allow you to create maps on a computer and then download/copy to an SD card. both take a bit of tweaking to make the maps. But you have to plan your trip in advance so that you have those maps available.

Nav4all, Copilot, amazegps and others - everyone has a different like or NOT like on these various offerings.
    07-12-08 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD