I am getting screwed by sprint I have the all/everything plan, which the sprint sale/hq said i can you my phone as a modem, but now they say i can't!! Apparently there is some magicle third party software that allows me to use my phone as a modem anyone know where to find this software!!
    12-15-08 01:51 PM
    Never heard of such an app for the BB. I do know that there is one called PDANet for Palm Treos.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 02:55 PM
    Your 8330 has Tethered Modem capability out of the box. Go look in the FAQ message board here on CB. You shouldn't need a program to use the phone as a modem - only the knowledge found here.
    12-15-08 07:49 PM
    PDANET is awsome for Treos. don't think it will work on the Instinct or BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 09:12 AM
    I am going to make some people mad with this post...

I too am in the same boat. I have the Simply Everything plan and need to use my phone as a modem, maybe once a month (at most) to check email in an airport or on the road. Because of this, I can't justify buying a PC card and another line through sprint at the price of $40/month. (They won't let you add PAM on a simply everything plan.)

This is what I do. (I will preface that this goes against the user agreement and if you get caught you will be paying some stiff fines to sprint as well as risk getting your service cut. Use it at your own risk.) From all of the research I have done, the only way they can track you using your phone as a modem without the plan is if you have a high amount of data usage (ie. more than a few GB a month). Since I use it so rarely, I barely use 20 megs in a month so I doubt I will get caught. I just downloaded SmartView from Sprint's website, connected my curve, and everything worked perfectly.

I KNOW this is not what you're supposed to do, but since I use it so rarely, though morally wrong, I can justify it.
    12-16-08 12:32 PM
    Your 8330 has Tethered Modem capability out of the box. Go look in the FAQ message board here on CB. You shouldn't need a program to use the phone as a modem - only the knowledge found here.
    Do this. I tether my BB to my laptop all the time (on T-Mo's service) but it's the same concept. You basically create a modem connection on your laptop/PC, configure it to the settings required, and then use that modem connection to dial into the BB when it's tethered (connected with the cable) to your laptop.

Remember the old way of using dial-up to connect to the internet? Exactly the same connection method, but it's connecting to your BB instead of an ISP and is transmitting much faster than 56k speeds.

Works great.
    12-16-08 12:45 PM
    the only way they can track you using your phone as a modem without the plan is if you have a high amount of data usage (ie. more than a few GB a month)
    Data use on a Simply Everything plan is capped at 5GB/Mo. If you are using more than that on a phone, you run a very big risk of having your service cut.
    12-16-08 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD