Alright, before I get started I know what you're thinking. "O lawd, another one!"

Here we go... I currently own a 16GB Black 3G. I love the phone but it seems more of a "entertainment" type of phone instead of a serious business machine. I know I just contradicted myself.

I'm really looking into the Bold. I'm constantly checking e-mails and texting. I'm concerned with the following. I'm really into music and I have about 1,000 songs on my phone. Can I still have that luxury with the Bold? Also Wi-fi since the bold has that also, just another reason for me to go for it. But my main concern is music. How much music is on yours? How is the music player?

My current job is vehicle recovery (Yeah keep that car note paid. )

So I am constantly sending and receiving information. But after all that it seem it's a no brainer but. I'm always using the 3G's iPod to listen to music while jogging, working out, or just relaxing at home. So the music player is a big thing to me. That and Wi-fi, I know the Bold has Wi-fi which is great, I'm just wondering about that music player...

Btw, I HATE the storm... I played with one and just ... don't like it at all. The way the screen clicks in... among other things so that is ruled out.

Ok, let me know what you think. I'm ready to be attacked!
    02-10-09 12:23 AM
    If email and communication is your goal - Go with the BlackBerry

If music is truly important to you - Stay with the IPhone. There
    is absolutely no comparison between the multimedia experience
    between the two devices.

Personally, I have always said: The IPhone is for people that want to be
    entertained. The BlackBerry is for people who want to get ish done.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-10-09 at 12:31 AM.
    02-10-09 12:29 AM
    You can put a 16 gb sd card into the bold and store all of your music

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 12:36 AM
    If email and communication is your goal - Go with the BlackBerry

If music is truly important to you - Stay with the IPhone. There
    is absolutely no comparison between the multimedia experience
    between the two devices.

Personally, I have always said: The IPhone is for people that want to be
    entertained. The BlackBerry is for people who want to get ish done.
    I appreciate that quick reply, I'm still thinking...

I would like the communication and music aspect.
    Last edited by Owens 23; 02-10-09 at 12:43 AM.
    02-10-09 12:38 AM
    You can put a 16 gb sd card into the bold and store all of your music

True... I forgot to bring that up.
    02-10-09 12:38 AM
    Your in a tough spot. For the work aspect of your job the bold smokes the iPhone in my opinion but as AG said when it comes to multimedia/music its easily the iPhone. My sister has one and its a decent phone but it shines in that area over the BB. I also like the browser on the iPhone. I have a curve and I am wanting a bold pretty bad but with the more I read on here about new devices coming out "curve on steroids" I am waiting to see what comes out. Keep messing with them in the stores if you can, it helped me choose my BB over an iPhone. I could not take tapping the screen to text, that is not my thing.....

Enjoy the new device and welcome to crackberry
    02-10-09 12:44 AM
    Thanks. I've had this 3G for a few months, but as long as I can hear my music and choose songs. I'm good. I don't need the fancy cover flow etc.

This is just a tough decision.
    02-10-09 12:58 AM
    Sell the iphone for around $500, buy a Bold for $400, and use the rest of your money to buy a ipod touch.

But if you only want one device, in my opiniom the iphone is better after you jailbreak

02-10-09 12:58 AM
    I appreciate that quick reply, I'm still thinking...

I would like the communication and music aspect.
    See here is your problem. One device that does it and does it all well.
    That will be neither the IPhone or the BlackBerry. They both have their strong
    points and they both certainly have their weaknesses.

Not to confuse you even more but have you taken a look at the Nokia E-71.
    This device is head and shoulders superior to either the IPhone or the BB
    02-10-09 01:13 AM
    I wouldn't call the E71 better with media than the Bold or the iPhone.. since it doesn't even have a 3.5mm headset jack. It looks pretty, but that keyboard is mush compared to BB.
    02-10-09 02:02 AM
    My Bold does music well, but it's not as pretty or fluid as the iPhone. I have ~4GB of music in playlists.. I mean-- what else can I say? It works, for the most part. One minor thing, it doesn't play my protected music, but my on the go stuff is mostly ripped CDs.

You'll also need a version of Windows for the best syncing experience, in case you are on a Mac. Nothing beats iTunes as a one-stop-shop for everything though.
    02-10-09 02:08 AM
    I made the switch last week from my iPhone to BlackBerry Bold, and I consider myself a huge Apple/Mac advocate. My reasons for switching back to BlackBerry were these (in no particular order)
    PUSH email not just for .mac/MobileMe, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, a real keyboard, and a video function. The only decent functions on the iPhone that were unique to itself was the visual voicemail, a slightly better browser and the ability to switch between 3G and EDGE, the media aspect of the iPhone, and the ability for the iPhone to sync flawlessly with my MacBook Pro/iMac. I don't regret the switch at all.

P.S. the new plastic backing and the curvature design of the phone was a big turnoffand I believe to be a flaw as I've seen too many people bring their iPhone into the Apple Store for being dropped
    02-10-09 02:12 AM
    I wouldn't call the E71 better with media than the Bold or the iPhone.. since it doesn't even have a 3.5mm headset jack. It looks pretty, but that keyboard is mush compared to BB.
    Notwithstanding the plethora of 2.5 headsets on the market,
    A Seidio adapter solves the 3.5 issue, A2DP solves the rest. As far as a
    appearances go, eye of the beholder. I have been using one for a solid
    two months and I assure the k/board is just as if not nicer than anything that
    BlackBerry puts out.

I am in the process of selecting the mobile device for all our Town
    employees and the BB is currently a very, very distant 3rd.

You want to talk pretty, fine, lets talk about all the pretty crap RIM keep
    chucking on the market while still maintaining the longest in the tooth OS on
    the planet.

Every other manufacturer innovates, RIM, not so much. But yeah,
    go ahead, close your eyes, click your heels and tell yourself how great the BB
    is. The rest of the world (as demonstrated by RIM's worldwide market share)
    will disagree with , and prove you wrong every single day.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-10-09 at 02:22 AM.
    02-10-09 02:17 AM
    Notwithstanding the plethora of 2.5 headsets on the market,
    A Seidio adapter solves the 3.5 issue, A2DP solves the rest. As far as a
    appearances go, eye of the beholder. I have been using one for a solid
    two months and I assure the k/board is just as if not nicer than anything that
    BlackBerry puts out.

I am in the process of selecting the mobile device for all our Town
    employees and the BB is currently a very, very distant 3rd.

You want to talk pretty, fine, lets talk about all the pretty crap RIM keep
    chucking on the market while still maintaining the longest in the tooth OS on
    the planet.

Every other manufacturer innovates, RIM, not so much. But yeah,
    go ahead, close your eyes, click your heels and tell yourself how great the BB
    is. The rest of the world (as demonstrated by RIM's worldwide market share)
    will disagree with , and prove you wrong every single day.
    Regarding the adapter:
    I don't really want to use an adapter.

Regarding the Keyboard format:
    The Z is directly under the A, which is directly under the Q. It's like Nokia forgot to think about the layout of the keyboard. No keyboard with a layout like that deserves to be a "nice keyboard."

Regarding the keyboard:
    It feels like mush compared to the QWERTY Blackberries. That's my opinion, and I've heard others mention it too. Keys are shaped weird. Of course, you give yourself enough time, and you can get used to anything. That's the power of the human mind, baby.

Regarding the OS:
    Yes.

Regarding the Innovation:
    No real comment.

Regarding closing my eyes, clicking my heels, and telling myself how great the BB is:
    I love the Wizard of Oz.

The Blackberry does what it advertises to do. It's not perfect. It's not here to save the world like the iPhone or be the supermodel of the 3rd annual cell phone pageant. It just does its job, and it does it fast, and it does it reliably. RIM could have no market share outside of me, but it sure as heck works for me.
    02-10-09 02:32 AM
    lol.
    First off all buy the bold the music player is gooed it's the headset what really makes the music if you know what i mean.

For instance i have the Storm but it don't use the standard headset to listen to music i use senheisser headset while those sounds are more ''clearer''

Second off all Blackberry is just like the iphone an way of expressing yourself, an lifestyle.

For instance on my Storm i got Visualarts wallpaper changer that is making an slideshow of all the places i have been. Meaning the carries my life and memories with me

But still. Buy the bold also (onto the other reasons) for email, phone, fysique keyboard,WiFi, the ongoing updates wich makes the phone faster and faster.

And not to forget : The bold doesn't have cracks around the edges like the iphone 3g does.

Personnally if there was no Blackberry in this world and i needed to buy an smartphone i would rather have an Google Android phone, then an iphone=temporary hype, when everyone has it then the hype is over because you are an part of an huge sheep collective.
    02-10-09 02:41 AM
    The Blackberry does what it advertises to do. It's not perfect. It's not here to save the world like the iPhone or be the supermodel of the 3rd annual cell phone pageant. It just does its job, and it does it fast, and it does it reliably. RIM could have no market share outside of me, but it sure as heck works for me.
    I am not trying to argue with you but these are my exact points.

This is all subjective. And yes I own 2 BB's and once my Town's conversion
    is done, I will still own at least one. The Pearl.

I just think there is far too much "I love the BB", "It worksfor, me so it WILL
    work for you" stuff that happens on this site, even when an OP asks a
    question the requires objectivity.

There are far too many questions like that that wind up with getting the
    same knee j erk "get a BB" answers.

Once that person has read 20-30 answers like that, goes out and gets one
    only to discover it was the wrong device for them, what did we as members
    of this site actually do? We certainly did not do well by the mission of CB.

If a person asks for opinions, regardless of what we like, they deserve
    a non-biased answered. That is what I tried to do.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-10-09 at 02:51 AM.
    02-10-09 02:48 AM
    I've used the iPhone, iPhone 3G, Palm Treo, Nokia E71, BB 8700, 2 Curves, and a Bold. I came directly from an iPhone 3G and yes, I even got the E71 at one point. I have similar needs as him and I had the same questions as him when moving to the Bold. I feel somewhat qualified to lend him some of advice, which I've picked up from trial and error. Wait, I'm sleepy. Night.

02-10-09 03:10 AM
    I carry around a Bold and an iPod. I know that people don't like to carry "too much stuff around" but it doesn't bother me. And if you want music in your Bold, then you can always download Slacker Mobile.
    02-10-09 09:14 AM
    Having owned a 2G since the day it came out, and now on a Bold I can tell you I'm VERY happy with the decision. In terms of music, the Bod can carry up to 32GB once the micro SD 32gb come out. For now 16GB is the limit although with Slacker I rarely use the memory card for music. Personally the sound quality on the Bold far surpasses with iphone with the included headphones and it is just as easy to use in terms of getting to the music you want and uploading. Not sure why people think the iphone is better for music. IMO it isn't necessarily unless you're an itunes fanatic (which I am not). Even so the Bold can interface with itunes as well with a plug in from BB. The email, IM and keyboard on the Bold blow away the iphone and really my only gripes are minor. Haven't found the perfect browser yet and the SMS texts aren't threaded in the same way iphone's are (I"m sure they are working on that option). Visual voicemail is already in the firmware and waiting on ATT to make it happen. Other than that I'd say for me it was a smart choice and one I do not regret in the slightest.
    02-10-09 11:24 AM
    I have been an IPhone user since it came out, both 2g and 3g. I cracked my iphones screen on the ground and was going to get a replacement Iphone, but the more I looked around, the more I noticed EVERYONE had one. I was getting frustrated when my friends kept sending me MMS messages and I couldn't see them. So I switched to the bold. I had to give up some things, threaded sms being one of them. But I could customize EVERYTHING. Facebook, text, email, aim and gtalk all pushed right to my phone. None of the apps had to be open. I can respond so much quicker to every type of communication.

02-10-09 10:58 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't expect to see so many people switching from the iPhone to the bold, I do have some friends that went back to the iPhone tho.

I'll decided soon enough.
    02-11-09 11:12 AM
    EDIT:

Double Post.
    02-11-09 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD