Hey guys,

I keep getting this error msg when I try opening up desktop manager. Please help...

Usage: Desktopmgr [/record<destination directory for recorded settings>]

* this is after i installed it once, when i try to update the OS. it then reset my settings and lost all my settings!?!!

but i know in my PC, it has the up LOADERBACKUP ICON under my documents, but of course that wont open up unless the BB desktop manager is installed!! *

LOST OVER 450 CONTACTS!! =(
    07-04-09 01:09 AM
    Why don't you try to do a system restore to restore your PC to when DM was working properly? Many seem to neglect the fact that system restore is literally a silent life saver!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 01:22 AM
    I've found some issues with DM from time to time. Try uninstalling the DM, deleting the folder, rebooting, and re-installing the latest DM.

That sucks about the contacts
    07-04-09 10:09 AM
    i had a simmler problem only my bb didnt even pop up on dm i just reinstalled it and i have done a couple other things and still nothing

did you check your sim??
    07-04-09 10:21 AM
    Also try to use DM 4.6 .. It's the best version

07-04-09 11:23 AM
    Why don't you try to do a system restore to restore your PC to when DM was working properly? Many seem to neglect the fact that system restore is literally a silent life saver!

if i do that, im going lose the shortcut to BB desktop i have in my documents...

im crossing my fingers and hoping that its my contacts that is in the : LOADERBACKUP icon......
    07-04-09 02:57 PM
    i had a simmler problem only my bb didnt even pop up on dm i just reinstalled it and i have done a couple other things and still nothing

did you check your sim??
    sim? sprint doesnt have a sim.....
    07-04-09 02:58 PM
    ok this is the whole story guys..

i had ( wait still have ) my 8330 from sprint. i also got my tmobile 8900...

same time , both phones was plugged into my pc from the sync cord. i was trying to charge my new 8900, while trying to save all my files memory card etc from my 8330 to the comp...

i installed the BB desktop using the disc from the box out of the 8900...

after installing the BB, i was trying to upgrade the OS on the 8900. knowing, but still did it, both phones was plugged in.

left for a bit, and came back. my 8330 then goes back to the original settings!!! =(

i then can open up the BB deskmanager anymore...

but i know there is LOADERBACKUP icon in my documents....

i uninstalled/installed the 8330 disc ( 4.5 ) and also the 9000 ( 4.7)

but same error all the time...

please help!!!? ;(

** im thinking it got messed up because both phones was plugged into the comp?! but i know with that loaderbackup icon, i can try to save whatever i can.... **
    07-04-09 03:16 PM
    Opps... I suspect you have identified the problem.

First step, locate your current backup file.

Open Windows / (My) Documents.

There should be at least one file named: LoaderBackup-(2009-xx-xx).idp.

If you find that, AutoBackup-*.ipd or Backup-*.ipd, your data is safe and can be recovered with Restore or Advanced Restore.

Your best chance of success, use Windows / Control Panel / Programs to uninstall the existing BlackBerry Desktop Tools, then do a restart of the comupter and a fresh install.

Just one at a time, 'till we get this sorted.
    07-04-09 04:02 PM
    Opps... I suspect you have identified the problem.

First step, locate your current backup file.

Open Windows / (My) Documents.

There should be at least one file named: LoaderBackup-(2009-xx-xx).idp.

If you find that, AutoBackup-*.ipd or Backup-*.ipd, your data is safe and can be recovered with Restore or Advanced Restore.

Your best chance of success, use Windows / Control Panel / Programs to uninstall the existing BlackBerry Desktop Tools, then do a restart of the comupter and a fresh install.

Just one at a time, 'till we get this sorted.
    thanks for the post back...

1) i found the back up file... .

2) i deleted the BB deskmanger, then installed it over 20 times...

same result with that msg.......

** Usage: Desktopmgr [/record<destination directory for recorded settings>]
    07-04-09 11:52 PM
    ** Usage: Desktopmgr [/record<destination directory for recorded settings>]
    That is an ususual error message, Which version of Microsoft Windows are you running?

07-05-09 09:44 AM
    That is an ususual error message, Which version of Microsoft Windows are you running?

i think i got vista =(
    07-05-09 03:24 PM
    If it's Windows Vista, there should not be any problems.

The message you are getting means the program attempted to start, but failed due to an internal error. The syntax is telling us there is an optional Record file in the default directory.

You have tried installing it multiple times, but, I suspect there is corruption in the install package.

The same software is available to download from BlackBerry support.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

There are multiple versions available, but many of us prefer the v4.6, English, without Media Manager.

I strongly advise saving the download first, then running the install from your computer.
    07-05-09 05:23 PM
    If it's Windows Vista, there should not be any problems.

The message you are getting means the program attempted to start, but failed due to an internal error. The syntax is telling us there is an optional Record file in the default directory.

You have tried installing it multiple times, but, I suspect there is corruption in the install package.

The same software is available to download from BlackBerry support.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

There are multiple versions available, but many of us prefer the v4.6, English, without Media Manager.

I strongly advise saving the download first, then running the install from your computer.
    ok DL... now my stoopid comp is asking what program do i wanna open it with...

internet explorer, notpad , etc.....
    07-06-09 03:55 PM
    **UPDATE**

ok. so i brought my comp to my working place to my IT guy at work... he managed to save the loaderbackup icon and put it on his comp from mine...

he installed the BB desktop and can see the icon...

after going to restore it with my phone plugged in, and then opening the file from the loaderbackup icon...

nothing happens! =(

the left screen, which is my files has 6 contacts. the right screen, my back up icon has 55.....

but nothing gets transfered over!!

all themes and setting is reset to default =(

help!?!?!

** im thinking i need my old bb curve 8330 from sprint to be plugged in, instead of my new 8900??

- since the loaderbackup icon is from the 8330? **
    07-13-09 09:24 PM
    Advanced Restore is the program that will copy your data back to the device. Sounds like your IT guy is nearly there.
    07-13-09 10:17 PM
    its not working!! even if i do file by file... it wont transfer =(
    07-13-09 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD