Hi guys ..
    good so see lots of help and tips from this website
    i m a new with bb .. just 3 days back i brought blackberry 8830 WE phone from sum shop and he told me the phone was unlock.. anyways from this website only i came to know that my phone is locked.. but all gsm sims are working on my phone bz its a blackberry 8830 WE phone.. so the thing is my phone is working fi9 but i wanted to use blackberry internet service (bis) on it and it is still working on my phone but it get disconnect at any time ... and start working by it self .. i mean out of 24 hrs its working for only 5 6 hrs a day ... so can sum one please tell me weather i should unlock my phone or not will my bis service will work fi9 or not after unlocking it ?
    08-04-11 04:33 AM
    The 8830 World Edition is a bit of an odd ball phone. It is designed so that North American CDMA providers can sell you a Blackberry that you can also use in Europe where CDMA does not exist. The European GSM frequencies are different than those in North America, meaning you cannot use it with GSM carriers in North America. Typically it will not have a SIM card in it when purchased from the original carrier. That is the way they were sold by Bell here in Canada. The CDMA side of things cannot be unlocked. Usually, the GSM side will not be locked, meaning you can purchase a SIM card from a European carrier, pop it in, and be up and running when you travel. There may be some carriers that lock the GSM to a specific partner carrier in Europe. Try finding the latest OS and upgrading it if you haven't done so. One I was playing around with seemed to indicate it was locked until I installed OS 4.5.0.127.

You didn't indicate where in the world you are currently trying to use this phone. If the phone needed to be unlocked it wouldn't work at all.
    08-04-11 04:55 AM
    thanx for the reply
    I m sorry i forget to tell about that .. i m from india and the phone is locked with telecom nz ... and yeah i update my phone with bb desktop software ... when i bought this phone it was on 4.2 os and now i have updates to 4.5 it is still locked
    08-04-11 05:31 AM
    Well it is locked to the New Zealand Telecom CDMA network which you can do nothing about. Before I figured this phone out (it was a freebie which my mother in law thought she could use here in Canada) I paid $10 to unlock it, but when I went to enter the code it said "0" attempts left. When I upgraded the OS the MEPD screen then implied it was unlocked. Anyway, I don't think it makes any sense to attempt to unlock it, as I am sure it isn't really locked on the GSM side. It should be compatible with the India GSM 900/1800 networks. It is only 2G, so maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe there is a problem with the phone, or maybe a configuration problem with your provider in India. May want to call them.
    08-04-11 08:38 AM
    Hi guys ..
    good so see lots of help and tips from this website
    i m a new with bb .. just 3 days back i brought blackberry 8830 WE phone from sum shop and he told me the phone was unlock.. anyways from this website only i came to know that my phone is locked.. but all gsm sims are working on my phone bz its a blackberry 8830 WE phone.. so the thing is my phone is working fi9 but i wanted to use blackberry internet service (bis) on it and it is still working on my phone but it get disconnect at any time ... and start working by it self .. i mean out of 24 hrs its working for only 5 6 hrs a day ... so can sum one please tell me weather i should unlock my phone or not will my bis service will work fi9 or not after unlocking it ?
    If Voice and SMS text work with a SIM card, other then the original carrier, it is unlocked.

The fact that you can use BIS means your SIM card is correclty configured with BIS.

The issue is the lack of reliable service. That could be an issue with the carrier, you have the correct service books in place.
    08-04-11 12:16 PM
    yes it is unlock from GSM side all GSM sims are working fi9... but as i sad, very bad BIS service ... and as far as i m consurned its it lock by telecom nz ...
    i went to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.
    then i typed MEPD on my keyboard and then the new menu popup there i can see network active so i supposed that is sing of a lock phone ...
    Last edited by saifprvz; 08-05-11 at 06:01 AM.
    08-05-11 05:57 AM
    i know even i m confused weather the phone is not working correctly or the carrier because this phone is only 7 days old .. and in these seven days i have tryed 3 different sim ( vodafone ,idea ,reliance ) but all are making the same problem ...
    08-05-11 06:12 AM
    Have you tried contacting technical support for any of the carriers you are using? Perhaps they can look at system logs or something to see what is going on. I doubt it is the phone, sounds like a server issue. All networks likely use the same BIS servers. Perhaps this phone was previously used and the BIS servers are unhappy with it trying to access a different account. Usually they suspend phones from BIS access if the phone is doing something "suspicious".
    saifprvz likes this.
    08-05-11 05:54 PM
    ok thanx for the information now i wont change my sim anymore ..
    yeah i call them for like 5 6 times and they told me every thing is ok from there side ...but i dont think so that the reason because from the starting time since when i brought this phone from that time only my BIS service is really bad .. anyways thanx for the information i think i m again going to switch with the iPhone its much more better ...
    08-05-11 06:27 PM
    can u please tell me ... is it possible to run whatsapp on blackberry without BIS service .. or its any other alternative ??
    08-05-11 06:40 PM
    you need to have data plan to use most of the normal apps ... some other things can be installed but it's worth to have a BIS account.
    08-06-11 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD