Ok...I have worked for ATT for several years now and I am stumped. A customer has not been able to get the internet icon on his device (BB Curve). Normally, this is an easy fix. He subscribes to the service each month. Normally, I would go into his email setup from device; or log into his BB account via ATT website and submit service books. However, his email was set up from the device, which means I cannot access it via the website on a PC...AND he claims to no longer have the "personal email setup" icon on his device. What can I do? He lives several miles from my store, so I am trying to troubleshoot over the phone. Any hints as a far as a shortcut to send service books? I have also tried to access the service books from the settings. I had him read off the service book list and he is missing several-including browser-which is how I am almost certain that is what is wrong.

I'm perplexed!!!
    06-20-08 03:08 PM
    Ok...I have worked for ATT for several years now and I am stumped. A customer has not been able to get the internet icon on his device (BB Curve). Normally, this is an easy fix. He subscribes to the service each month. Normally, I would go into his email setup from device; or log into his BB account via ATT website and submit service books. However, his email was set up from the device, which means I cannot access it via the website on a PC...AND he claims to no longer have the "personal email setup" icon on his device. What can I do? He lives several miles from my store, so I am trying to troubleshoot over the phone. Any hints as a far as a shortcut to send service books? I have also tried to access the service books from the settings. I had him read off the service book list and he is missing several-including browser-which is how I am almost certain that is what is wrong.

I'm perplexed!!!
    Welcome to CB
    have you suggested him to take out battery while device is on?
    06-20-08 03:09 PM
    Mine had this problem when i nuked my phone and had to restore it to factor, i had to go into setting and ...i wanna thnik it was Options>Mobile Network>then search for a mobile network
    and then data started working again and browser and gps installed itself
    06-20-08 03:12 PM
    yeah...to no avail....

We are being cracked down upon as far as customer service calls, so I am trying my darndest to not call in...
    You should still be able to log into BIS through a PC and send the service books. If not he can always call Customer Service Technical Support and they should be able to do it from there. They have sent them to me that way as well in the past.
    Tell him to go there and see if it has "Data Services : ON or OFF" and what is says beside "Mobile Network" AT&T?
    06-20-08 03:14 PM
    If the app got removed from his device he will need to have it re-installed some how.

He can always back up with DM
    Wipe device
    Restore

That could be a hassle though... but it seems like items got removed from his OS
    06-20-08 03:17 PM
    Mine had this problem when i nuked my phone and had to restore it to factor, i had to go into setting and ...i wanna thnik it was Options>Mobile Network>then search for a mobile network
    and then data started working again and browser and gps installed itself
    Ok...thanks yall!! When he calls, I will ask him about that...as far as accessing from a PC if activated on the device, I have never been able to do that. I was always under the impression that once you have setup email from your device, you cannot access from PC. It will usually give me an error-upon login-about how it was originally activated from device, and therefore cannot be accessed via the website. Is there a way around it?
    He may have to run a search for the network, this solved my problem of no apps for browser or gps on my curve. once it recognized the network gps and browser were instantly installed
    Tell him to go there and see if it has "Data Services : ON or OFF" and what is says beside "Mobile Network" AT&T?
    The OP said the user is missing icons (Browser and EMail Setup being a couple of them)

I figure it it nothing with the data connection... as you are inferring, but rather the items got uninstalled or removed from the device...

Seems like he needs to do a hard reset (batt pull or Alt, RShift, Del) OR he needs to wipe the device and restore. This should put all the default carrier OS settings back on it... and he can restore his contacts and whatnot with Desktop Manager
    06-20-08 03:19 PM
    I tried the hard reset when my did that...i had installed 4.5 without deleting vendor and nuked my curve. so i restored to factory yet gps and browser icons were not there...so i kept trying to acces any form of internet on my phone and it would not allow me until i did ooptions>mobile network> search mobile network then instantly it recognized my carrier and data plan and the browser and gps were installed instantly...i wouldnt guess it would work either but it did
    06-20-08 03:24 PM
    Ok...thanks yall!! When he calls, I will ask him about that...as far as accessing from a PC if activated on the device, I have never been able to do that. I was always under the impression that once you have setup email from your device, you cannot access from PC. It will usually give me an error-upon login-about how it was originally activated from device, and therefore cannot be accessed via the website. Is there a way around it?
    MIJAMTM plz update us if it worked !!!! thanks
    06-20-08 03:25 PM
    Wow... that is crazy!! Well, I hope the info can help the OP!!

Technically it kind of makes sense...

I just don't understand why your device was not recognizing the network to begin with and you had to do a manual search.

I was assuming he was already connected fine to his network / data connection
    06-20-08 03:26 PM
    Well, that's what is frustrating. He claims he never had the icon...yet he's had his device and has been paying for data for 2 months-? Not to mention, he is claiming that he does not have the personal email setup icon...YET, when I go to log in to his ATT BB acct via the website (on a PC), it tells me he set it up from his device...hmmmmm....he may be confused or something, it's hard when he isn't here....I'll try my best...and thanks again for the help and suggestions!!
    06-20-08 03:28 PM
    Wow... that is crazy!! Well, I hope the info can help the OP!!

Technically it kind of makes sense...

I just don't understand why your device was not recognizing the network to begin with and you had to do a manual search.

I was assuming he was already connected fine to his network / data connection
    it is kind've wierd, i assume it was because i nuked it...now i think about it i didnt even restore to factory i restored phone to how it was before i tried upgrade and nuked it
    It's almost like the customers phone was never activated....?
    06-20-08 03:29 PM
    Well, again, he's had it for 2 months...and has been paying for data for 2 months....if I were him, I'd have realized it ASAP and troubleshooted within the first 30 days....but, now he'll have to go through XBM if we can't get it fixed....all I can do is try, I suppose!
    06-20-08 03:31 PM
    Well, that's what is frustrating. He claims he never had the icon...yet he's had his device and has been paying for data for 2 months-? Not to mention, he is claiming that he does not have the personal email setup icon...YET, when I go to log in to his ATT BB acct via the website (on a PC), it tells me he set it up from his device...hmmmmm....he may be confused or something, it's hard when he isn't here....I'll try my best...and thanks again for the help and suggestions!!
    You know, to my knowledge (correct me if im wrong) the broswer will not be on the phone UNLESS You have a data plan....it's funny how he was able to set up a email from his phone with no data...dont u think?

haha i'd be willing to be he tried upgrading to the unreleased version of OS 4.5 and nuked his phone too and have yall fix it! lol
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 06-20-08 at 03:34 PM.
    06-20-08 03:31 PM
    I will definetly let yall know what happens...if anything. And I doubt he attempted any upgrades, he is a somewhat elderly man who told me over the phone that he doesn't know what he's doing with these "pocket computers." We'll see....
    06-20-08 03:33 PM
    I will definetly let yall know what happens...if anything. And I doubt he attempted any upgrades, he is a somewhat elderly man who told me over the phone that he doesn't know what he's doing with these "pocket computers." We'll see....
    oh, then wut in the world is he doing with a data plan?
    06-20-08 03:36 PM
    Don't know...I didn't sell him the device or service...and I am not one to push a customer away because of it, which is why I am helping him...I represent ATT, and even though I wasn't his original sales rep, I am helping him....plus I have now taken an interest in seeing whether or not I can fix it...
    06-20-08 03:38 PM
    If you think that the service books will fix the problem just conference call with him to tech support they will be able to send them.
    06-20-08 03:40 PM
    Don't know...I didn't sell him the device or service...and I am not one to push a customer away because of it, which is why I am helping him...I represent ATT, and even though I wasn't his original sales rep, I am helping him....plus I have now taken an interest in seeing whether or not I can fix it...
    hopefully he calls back because I am interested too...CALL HIM!!!
    06-20-08 03:41 PM
    Hey mijamtm, this may have been wut i did too: Options> Advanced Options> Host Routing Table> then hit Menu> Register Now. Could be wut i did...it will definitely be this way or the other. sorry for not being sure i was tryin everything and just stumbled across it
    06-20-08 04:13 PM
    I did everything you suggested...but it was the service books...I figured out what his login was, and submitted service books and voila! It works fine now with 2 browsers (and he had, in fact, established email service, as he had 6 emails connected )
    06-20-08 05:55 PM
    I did everything you suggested...but it was the service books...I figured out what his login was, and submitted service books and voila! It works fine now with 2 browsers (and he had, in fact, established email service, as he had 6 emails connected )
    Great news, wish he had the same problem i had...i guess i must be patient for my 5 mins of glory :P
    06-20-08 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD