I am looking for my first bb. I am trying to decide between the 8900 or waiting for the onyx. is the main difference 3g vs edge?
    do I need 3g? I live in the country and only have 3g on my current phone if I travel a couple hours to the city. Is 3g only used for using the internet? I don't plan on doing that except at a wi-fi spot. So.....should I wait or just pick up the 8900. I am really going to be using the phone as a conduit for my epocrates program. I currently have a ppc, but I want to have it on my phone so I only have to carry one device.
    Thanks for any help.
    07-05-09 04:00 PM
    3G allows for simultaneous voice and data. Although, Wi-Fi does as well.

I switched from the Bold to the 8900 and I really don't notice too much of a difference in the web browsing speeds. Mind you, I don't use it all that much, but its not slower to a point where I'm complaining. Its more than ok.

I don't see the point in waiting around 3-4 months for the Onyx. Its not too much better than the Bold. Nothing earth-shattering to make you wait.
    07-05-09 04:04 PM
    I am looking for my first bb. I am trying to decide between the 8900 or waiting for the onyx. is the main difference 3g vs edge?
    do I need 3g? I live in the country and only have 3g on my current phone if I travel a couple hours to the city. Is 3g only used for using the internet? I don't plan on doing that except at a wi-fi spot. So.....should I wait or just pick up the 8900. I am really going to be using the phone as a conduit for my epocrates program. I currently have a ppc, but I want to have it on my phone so I only have to carry one device.
    Thanks for any help.
    Just get a Bold
    07-05-09 04:05 PM
    what is the benefit of the bold vs the 8900 or onyx? the camera on the bold isn't as good I know. (not that I care much, I have a camera)
    07-05-09 04:07 PM
    what made you switch?
    07-05-09 04:08 PM
    what made you switch?
    Me? I switched because I like that the 8900 is smaller. My Bold was having issues so I sent it in and decided I'll try something new. Either way you won't be disappointed with either one.

The benefit is that the Bold is a faster device. My 8900 is fine though.
    07-05-09 04:11 PM
    Same here. The selling point for me was the size of the 8900. It has everything and is better then the Bold, minus the 3G. The onyx is pretty much the 8900+3G. Also, the 8900 has more app memory vs the Bold, actually double (256mb).

3G isn't really that much of a con for me. I couldn't care less about talking and browsing, just how addicted can you get?
    07-05-09 04:33 PM
    I don't like how the Onyx looks either. I think the best looking device is the Tour 9630, but for GSM, a blacked-out 8900 is pretty sweet.
    07-05-09 04:38 PM
    I don't like how the Onyx looks either. I think the best looking device is the Tour 9630, but for GSM, a blacked-out 8900 is pretty sweet.
    Lol, the majority of these new 'berries released ever since the Bold came out look very similar. The Tour is a mix of Bold and Javelin, the Onyx is just a blacked out thin Bold.. (i think) .. I love the way my 8900 looks. Although a blacked out 8900 would definately be pretty cool!
    07-05-09 04:40 PM
    Lol, the majority of these new 'berries released ever since the Bold came out look very similar. The Tour is a mix of Bold and Javelin, the Onyx is just a blacked out thin Bold.. (i think) .. I love the way my 8900 looks. Although a blacked out 8900 would definately be pretty cool!
    Yea, the tour is rude. The Onyx looks dumb with the keyboard stretching the edge of the phone. The 8900 is great, but I hate the chrome, lol. The black skin covers it up well though!
    07-05-09 04:42 PM
    Lol ah I don't mind the chrome .. it's a flashy touch
    But I can barely see it anyway with the skin! And I agree, I hate the fact that they keyboard goes all the way to the edge, that's a big design flaw in my opinion..
    07-05-09 04:51 PM
    you might as well start small, and get a an old curve. Advanced features in the 8900 and up will make you hate blackberries, especially if you are a n00b.

On another thread, some /b/**** sold his Bold for a Sidekick. Way to go!
    07-05-09 04:56 PM
    you might as well start small, and get a an old curve. Advanced features in the 8900 and up will make you hate blackberries, especially if you are a n00b.
    what are the advanced features of an 8900 over say an 8320?
    Nothing really changes from BB to BB...
    07-05-09 04:57 PM
    what are the advanced features of an 8900 over say an 8320?
    Nothing really changes from BB to BB...
    Technically, if you look at processors, camera, other small features, yes, they do change, maybe not on the outside, but not everyone will be a BB genius just by getting one. If someone wanted a BlackBerry because they are torn between EDGE and 3G, then a BlackBerry isnt for you.
    07-05-09 04:59 PM
    Technically, if you look at processors, camera, other small features, yes, they do change, maybe not on the outside, but not everyone will be a BB genius just by getting one. If someone wanted a BlackBerry because they are torn between EDGE and 3G, then a BlackBerry isnt for you.
    Advanced feature of a better camera will make someone hate their BlackBerry? Sorry, I don't follow.
    07-05-09 05:10 PM
    Honestly the choice is yours. There's not much difference in speed terms between 3G and EDGE. If you can hold out till the Onyx is released then get that, but if you can't then get the 8900.

Just my 0.02

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    As far as being torn between the EDGE and 3G, I just wasn't sure I needed the 3G and wasn't clear what it was used for.
    I def think a blackberry is for me.
    I am leaning to the 8900. I think the Bold is too big for me.
    07-05-09 05:20 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    As far as being torn between the EDGE and 3G, I just wasn't sure I needed the 3G and wasn't clear what it was used for.
    I def think a blackberry is for me.
    I am leaning to the 8900. I think the Bold is too big for me.
    It's totally up to your preference. I say get a feel for both devices and see what feels more comfortable in your hands, big hands=bold, small hands=8900.
    07-05-09 05:41 PM
    It's really all preference... Personally the 8900 is too small and plastic feeling for me where as the Bold feels sturdy and doesn't cramp my hands when typing. The Bold is slightly more powerful but honestly it would be hard to notice.
    07-05-09 06:03 PM
    I switched my bold for a 8900 and I like the 8900 much more, at first the 3G thing was holding me off, but once I made the switch I realized that the super-confortable size and the better camera of the 8900 was the best choice, and I haven't see much of a difference om 3G-EDGE, iin the end I think that the javelin is a better phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD