Ok I was told by someone before, that I could put my T-Mobile SIM in another phone and use the browser and it not cost extra, since I have an unlimited BB data plan added on my account. My bill with 5 lines is usually 185 bucks, but I put my sim in a couple other phones I have & I got my bill the other day & it was 990 bucks! I called & lied my **** off saying I haven't touched my sim! They made the adjustment but is it safe to do this, use my sim in other phones? Should it matter which device I use the internet from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 04:10 PM
    Ok I was told by someone before, that I could put my T-Mobile SIM in another phone and use the browser and it not cost extra, since I have an unlimited BB data plan added on my account. My bill with 5 lines is usually 185 bucks, but I put my sim in a couple other phones I have & I got my bill the other day & it was 990 bucks! I called & lied my **** off saying I haven't touched my sim! They made the adjustment but is it safe to do this, use my sim in other phones? Should it matter which device I use the internet from?

That to me sounds kind of weird because as long as you pay the data it shouldn't matter what device it's on. I'd continute to lie to them to get out of that bill. I'd double check and maybe make sure nobody else used their sim card in any other phone.
    01-12-09 04:16 PM
    I have internet blocked on my other 4 lines. I'm afraid to put my sim in my other phones now.

01-12-09 04:20 PM

I'm just straightening this out for better clarification....

You took the SIM card out of your Pearl and put it in X mystery phone (assuming not a blackberry?) without getting it activated on your line.

My guess is your unlimited BB data plan is indeed an unlimited BLACKBERRY data plan, emphasis on Blackberry. By taking your SIM to a non-blackberry device, you basically nullified the BB part and were just downloading outside of your plan limits. That being said, my guess is TMO plans are device specific and unless you get it checked out with them, they'll do the same thing again.

Just as a side question, why'd you need to move your SIM to another device?
    01-12-09 04:24 PM
    You haven't said what they actually billed you for. People might be able to help if you were a little more specific.
    01-12-09 04:25 PM
    If it is indeed a data charge resulting from switching your SIM card from a Blackberry to a non-blackberry device, then their system billed it correctly. Your Blackberry plan includes data when used in a Blackberry because the Blackberry (The manufacturer) actually acts as your ISP. So when you're not using a Blackberry device, you're using TMobile as your ISP and they will bill you per kilobyte for data. So this is a situation where it does matter which device you access the internet from.
    01-12-09 04:34 PM
    If it is indeed a data charge resulting from switching your SIM card from a Blackberry to a non-blackberry device, then their system billed it correctly. Your Blackberry plan includes data when used in a Blackberry because the Blackberry (The manufacturer) actually acts as your ISP. So when you're not using a Blackberry device, you're using TMobile as your ISP and they will bill you per kilobyte for data. So this is a situation where it does matter which device you access the internet from.
    I guess you're right then. I wasn't aware that the network would recognize the data if it wasn't a Blackberry. Eventhough I still thought the OP put the sim in another Blackberry.
    01-12-09 04:43 PM
    Hmm...does this happen when you remove your Verizon "sim card then?
    01-12-09 04:48 PM
    Hmm...does this happen when you remove your Verizon "sim card then?
    Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Verizon is CDMA. T-Mobile and Att are GSM.
    01-12-09 05:00 PM
    Verizon doesn't have a sim card I don't think. And yes it is specifically a blackberry data plan. Just like you can't take your sim card out of a sidekick and expect to have data if you stick it in a blackberry.

01-12-09 05:03 PM
    I bought a Motorola on EBay, and found some games & stuff for free, so I thought, so I hooked my moto up! Customer service didn't appear to know what device I used. But I thought to myself it had to do with the phone & SIM signing on the network.

01-12-09 05:07 PM
    I'm with Norsk... Why DID you have to move your SIM card around to different phones?

Nevermind... I posted slow. ^^
    Last edited by S7ar Scr3am; 01-12-09 at 05:11 PM. Reason: -Slow posting...
    01-12-09 05:11 PM
    Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Verizon is CDMA. T-Mobile and Att are GSM.

That's why I said "Sim" lol. Well, I was just wondering if it made any difference, since I'm trying the whole 'remove the card to help with reboots' thing.
    01-12-09 05:20 PM
    ATT never charged me any more when I used the SIM from my BB to an Nokia N75. Used all kinds of data on the N75.

01-12-09 05:23 PM
    Actually the VZW Storm (and maybe the 8830WE too) have unternational SIMs that only work in Europe, but you need to have it activated before you go. I think it mainly goes thru Vodofone.
    01-12-09 05:33 PM
    I would also get in the habit of checking with my provider before taking advice from people on the internet.
    01-12-09 05:37 PM
    Yea, I shoulda known better.

01-12-09 05:39 PM
    Ok I have a question about this as well. I posted it in another related thread. I plan on sending my phone into Colorware. ( maybe ). I was wondering if I could take my SIM card outta my BB before I send it in and use it in my old razr. I don't want to be without a phone for too long so I was just wanted to use the razr just for calls and texts. Would I be able to do this?

01-12-09 05:43 PM
    Talk to your provider, Country. They are really the only folks who can give you 100% accurate advice in that regard.
    01-12-09 05:55 PM
    I think u would b safe, its the inet data that kills ya

01-12-09 06:05 PM
    I think I would find a way other than posting on a public internet site and admitting that you committed fraud against a telecommunications company to avoid paying a bill.

And if I read such a post, I would damn sure avoid possible liability by encouraging such a fraud.

You used the data in violation of your plan. Pay the damn bill and learn your lesson.

01-12-09 07:16 PM
    I was also told by a rep of suncom that I could use my other phones that I have paid for if I wanted to switch around. He said it didn't matter. And in my opinion it shouldn't! I'm paying for unlimited data, & was never told I had to use only the BlackBerry

Last edited by jjbadd; 01-12-09 at 07:34 PM.
    01-12-09 07:27 PM
    EDIT : Never mind, I see the reply was changed from the original.
    Last edited by Prosqtor; 01-12-09 at 07:38 PM.
    01-12-09 07:35 PM
    The OP made a mistake, he's realized that and I'm guessing he's not gonna be doing it all the time. Plus he was told that it was fine. Lesson learned. No need to come down on the guy like that.

01-12-09 07:39 PM
    have paid my bill EARLY for 5 years without fail. I didn't say a thing when T-Mobile raised my bill 30 bucks when they took over! I paid for every device I use with my plan so whatever data I use, is paid for. It don't matter which handset the data don't cost them any more. Why should I have to pay more?

01-12-09 07:42 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD