hi. I'm new here. my Sony Ericsson flip phone finally stopped working the other day (I'm never dealing with another flip phone, again), and I'm looking to get a good, reliable phone, and I was looking on ebay at all the older phones. I came across a couple of blackberries, and I think I may want an 8700 series. I won't be able to use the data plan, just yet (I'm on AT&T). but, I figure using it just as a phone, it would still be a trusty, reliable phone. just a few questions, though:

is there anything I need to know about the 8700 series?

and are the data discs really necessary for ownership of the phone?

also, does it have to be a former AT&T model, or unlocked model for me to put my sim card in it?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me, and I look forward to owning one of these newfangled devices soon! ^_^

Joseph.
    05-31-09 01:05 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

I currently have the 8700c and before the Bold, it was my favorite full QWERTY. Very sturdy and reliable.

Everything that are on those discs can be d/led off the BlackBerry website. It's pretty much just Desktop Manager.

It has to be branded to AT&T or unlocked, correct!
    05-31-09 01:25 AM
    do you think one can be had under $40 that includes wall charger and data cable? oh, and will my plantronics headset work with it? or do I have to use specifically a BB headset?

Joseph.
    Last edited by hachikid; 05-31-09 at 01:44 AM.
    05-31-09 01:41 AM
    nother question, will it play MP3's? like, will I be able to send ringtones to it via phonezoo, and dl and use them? and can I send photos to it to use as my background? I just heard there are no media features on the phone, and I was curious as to what it can't do as far as that.

Joseph.
    05-31-09 02:05 AM
    do you think one can be had under $40 that includes wall charger and data cable? oh, and will my plantronics headset work with it? or do I have to use specifically a BB headset?

Joseph.
    A quick search of current Ebay auctions shows the lowest one at 59.95 and the rest averaging 79, so under 40 looks doubtful.
    05-31-09 02:10 AM
    any thoughts on the 8300 or the 8800 models versus the 8700? I'm sorta looking at those, too.

Joseph.
    05-31-09 02:31 AM
    The 81xx/83xx/88xx models all have the media playback features. You can't beat the Curve for overall capability with a full sized keyboard, larger screen and Camera.

They will be more expensive then an 8700 in comparable condition.
    05-31-09 11:01 AM
    yea, I figured it'd be more expensive. but, as far as how durable it is, are there any problems with reliability? are they really fragile? etc.

Joseph.
    05-31-09 11:09 AM
    Overall the Curve is a solid device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 11:16 AM
    Loved my 8700 hated to switch from it. The 83xx series is fantastic. I couldn't imagine going back to the 8700 now(even though I do miss the wheel). I now have the bold. Bittom line is there are deals out there to get the flagship phonee for under a a hundred dollars. Why go with the "older"(much older)8700? If you are planning to add data, or looking at multimedia;get the curve series, at least. Great phones. Probably rim's best selling series for the consumer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 02:39 PM
    check my "device model" status! ^_^

Blackberry 8700 - Mint Condition & Free Shipping! - eBay (item 160337971881 end time May-31-09 15:49:16 PDT)

won it today. I'm so ascited!!!

Joseph.
    06-01-09 01:25 AM
    check my "device model" status! ^_^

Blackberry 8700 - Mint Condition & Free Shipping! - eBay (item 160337971881 end time May-31-09 15:49:16 PDT)

won it today. I'm so ascited!!!

Joseph.
    Good job congrats Joseph on winning the berry. Let us know if you need any help once you receive it...
    06-01-09 06:52 AM
    yay! I got my brackberry in! (that's how I'd say it if I were japanese). anyway, it has a password on the phone, and the previous owner told me the password, but I'm not sure how to disable the password. does anyone know how to take it off? and I'm trying to transfer pictures and music (ringtones) to my phone via USB cable, but when I go to "media", the option to click "media manager" is grayed out, but the option to click "media sync" is available. any ideas?

Joseph.
    06-08-09 03:53 PM
    oh yea, I also have my BB updated to the latest firmware, and the latest BB desktop manager downloaded and installed.

Joseph.
    06-08-09 03:55 PM
    I figured out the media player thing. but, how do I take the password off? I tried going to "options", "security options", "general settings" then clicked the wheel to try and disable the password, but it doesn't present an option.

oh, and does anyone know how I can edit mp3 files to make them smaller so they'd fit on my phone?

Joseph.
    06-08-09 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD