I can't find it again today but earlier I read an interview with Thorsten on Reuters in which he said the Z10 will have a docking station to which you will connect a keyboard, mouse and screen. It will replace your desktop computer and laptop. That is kind of mind bogling if it can do that. Anyone else see this?
    02-07-13 09:53 PM
    good luck with that. I run tons of legacy windows apps at work. I doubt those will ever run on blackberry 10.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007, jegs2 and bquinney like this.
    02-07-13 09:55 PM
    He was talking about similar thing in another interview but he clarified that that plan includes work force that is more 'mobile' and doesn't require huge computer power, so your sales teams for example, Z10 will definetely not be powerful enough for you design and engineering teams.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-07-13 10:01 PM
    good luck with that. I run tons of legacy windows apps at work. I doubt those will ever run on blackberry 10.

Well you never know since they can always have dual so windows and BB10 running together and there are lots of alternatives which is the reason why many businesses have been bringing in Ipads. If you use office BB10 has Docs to go and a bunch other apps that can help to fill the gaps. Oh and the article is from BlackBerry OS.com. This is the article: BlackBerryOS.com - Docking Station For The Z10 Coming Soon, New Tablet In The Works For BlackBerry
    G-bone likes this.
    02-07-13 10:03 PM
    not going to happen, right now
    southlander likes this.
    02-07-13 10:04 PM
    Actually. That's entirely possible. You only need an RDP or VDI client to remote into a carved virtual workstation. It's the perfect thin client. With cell networks getting faster and faster and latency dropping, remote access is getting very close to desktop speed. The HDMI output can do 1080p which means you can have a full desktop experience. I'm personally really looking forward to this.
    02-07-13 10:08 PM
    mmmm then I would have a crippled, underpowered desktop computer replacement, pass.
    02-07-13 10:09 PM
    All the processing happens remotely. Your Z10 is simply a display client.

mmmm then I would have a crippled, underpowered desktop computer replacement, pass.
    02-07-13 10:12 PM

I was looking at help wanted ads. They are working on an office suite
    02-07-13 10:14 PM
    All, smartphones are getting faster and faster. Eventually this will happen.
    richardat and G-bone like this.
    02-07-13 10:16 PM
    Hahah, forgive them BThunderW most people dont know about the old mainframe computers where everyone connected to them with terminals. All you need a basic client (video out and fast network) to log into your virtual machines hosted on the cluster and let them do all the heavy lifting
    02-07-13 10:16 PM
    Have you used Citrix or RDP before? It is a terrible experience for anything but basic tasks. I would never choose to use a remote application for anything that I could use an actual desktop or laptop.

Remote will never be a reasonable replacement until we get network transport speeds that are similar to internal computer bus speeds.
    CairnsRock, ruhban and BB_Bmore like this.
    02-07-13 10:17 PM
    Have you used Citrix or RDP before? It is a terrible experience for anything but basic tasks. I would never choose to use a remote application for anything that I could use an actual desktop or laptop.

Remote will never be a reasonable replacement until we get network transport speeds that are similar to internal computer bus speeds.
    I disagree with that. In my experience a gigabit connection is fine to host multiple virtual machines for me. Might need to fire your IT team.
    02-07-13 10:19 PM
    I disagree with that. In my experience a gigabit connection is fine to host multiple virtual machines for me. Might need to fire your IT team.
    Then you must be doing basic text editing and have a high tolerance for latency.

I have never had a single member of my staff be happy using Citrix.
    We're testing out a new VMWare solution, but even it is only marginally better.

Thin clients are great from a management perspective, but the user experience suffers.
    ruhban likes this.
    02-07-13 10:21 PM
    I work extensively with VMWare/Hyper-V and RDP. I have entire development environments set up that I run remotely on a screen 2560x1600 and more often than not I can't even tell that I'm working on a remote workstation. This is running Visual Studio and the complete suite of tools, debuggers, SQL clients etc. For most people this would be more than sufficient if they're operating Office or desktop apps.

02-07-13 10:25 PM
    My desktop (built myself - quad core, 8 GB of RAM, yada, yada - powerful machine), died on Sunday. Haven't had time to fix it. So in the interim I have been using my playbook hooked up to my monitor via HDMI out, coupled with my BT mouse and keyboard. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. Obviously the PB doesn't have the same horsepower as my desktop, but for every day things like email, checking Crackberry , watching video clips on NHL.com, etc, it is doing the job admirably. I needed to download something as well, so I sideloaded (using my work laptop) aTorrent and off I went.

I love how I am able to control all the swipe gestures just as easily via mouse. Another thing I appreciate is the real multitasking this OS offers. I set it to showcase mode. I can load a youtube audio clip and listen to it in the background while I do something else.

There was some browser lag which was a bit annoying but once I disabled flash and JS it sped up. It is now not too bad.

I also installed the Citrix receiver and can easily connect to my company network and run all my apps (Outlook, IE, Word, Visio, SSH, etc, etc).

So far my only gripes are that this could use more RAM, and it would have been nice if I could adjust the resolution of the output to my monitor. But other than that, I can see where Heins is going with his mobile computing vision. With that said, desktops will never go away, and I can definitely see BB building Macbook and iMac type products one day. QNX is a rock solid OS as I am really starting to see and appreciate.
    02-07-13 10:28 PM
    I work extensively with VMWare/Hyper-V and RDP. I have entire development environments set up that I run remotely on a screen 2560x1600 and more often than not I can't even tell that I'm working on a remote workstation. This is running Visual Studio and the complete suite of tools, debuggers, SQL clients etc. For most people this would be more than sufficient if they're operating Office office or desktop apps.
    That must be an amazing infrastructure you're running on then.
    From personal experience, the number of issues I deal with daily are enough to make me want to ban Citrix completely from my site. Unfortunately, that's not my call.

Anyway, it does sound like you're performing pretty basic tasks anyway, so I'm glad it's working for you.
    02-07-13 10:29 PM
    Then you must be doing basic text editing and have a high tolerance for latency.

I have never had a single member of my staff be happy using Citrix.
    We're testing out a new VMWare solution, but even it is only marginally better.

Thin clients are great from a management perspective, but the user experience suffers.
    I am very surprised to hear that. My company (very large one) uses Citrix and it works wonderfully. No latency issues at all. All my apps are very zippy.
    02-07-13 10:30 PM
    Not that amazing. First gen PE R710 with vSphere 5.1. VM running Win 7. The server uplinked on a 100Mbit burstable. Nothing out of the ordinary. Good latency though. I get about 18ms average ping to my server from home.

From personal experience, the number of issues I deal with daily are enough to make me want to ban Citrix completely from my site. Unfortunately, that's not my call.
    02-07-13 10:32 PM

Anyway, it does sound like you're performing pretty basic tasks anyway, so I'm glad it's working for you.
    I wouldn't consider Visual Studio and SQL debuggers to be basic taks. If these tools are anything like Rational Application Developer (based on eclipse), then they are very resource intensive, especially if you load up on plug-ins.

What do you consider to be a complex task? Video editing over citrix?
    02-07-13 10:33 PM
    Times are a changing.
    02-07-13 10:36 PM
    A few years ago Bill Gates said we were 5 years away, and today we have Windows 8, built for tablet or PC. We are at the cusp of this happening for some people.
    I wouldn't consider Visual Studio and SQL debuggers to be basic taks. If these tools are anything like Rational Application Developer (based on eclipse), then they are very resource intensive, especially if you load up on plug-ins.

What do you consider to be a complex task? Video editing over citrix?
    Maybe basic was the wrong word. Tasks that don't require a lot of UI interaction would be more accurate.
    I have no issues with backend performance and actual computing over remote. It's the actual interface that drives me crazy.
    Not that amazing. First gen PE R710 with vSphere 5.1. VM running Win 7. The server uplinked on a 100Mbit burstable. Nothing out of the ordinary. Good latency though. I get about 18ms average ping to my server from home.
    Are you the only user on the server? VMWare provides a better UX, but it's way too resource intensive. You practically need the resources of a desktop PC for each user anyway, which partially defeats the purpose of replacing the desktops in the first place.
    02-07-13 10:38 PM
    How about About the OnLive Game Service

You can even play graphically intensive games purely through a thin client as all the rendering is done remotely.
    02-07-13 10:39 PM
142 123 ...