In 10 -15 years maybe but right now not really close outside theory.And we will always run into the app issue which MS has pretty much monopoly on it as far as I know.But I welcome change if its for the better and cheaper for us consumers.
    02-09-13 02:35 PM
    Maybe he was talking about how expensive it will be without a contract :P
    02-09-13 02:36 PM
    You only need an RDP or VDI client to remote into a carved virtual workstation.
    That would not make it a "replacement". It would supplement the workstation.
    02-09-13 03:21 PM
    In about 2-3 years I'll believe it. Now smartphones aren't that powerful, but they are catching up fast.
    02-09-13 05:18 PM
    It depends on what you use your laptop for. I think it needs more RAM, at least.
    I wonder what the processing speed of the processor is compared to the average desktop processor and how far back do you have to go to catch up?
    02-09-13 05:28 PM
    What little I read and understand about QNX, I can easily see this.
    02-09-13 05:35 PM
    Why not? Should be the goal, IMHO.
    02-09-13 05:36 PM
    for niche markets people may require something with more powerful hardware. As we seen with the ipad, a seriously lacking device, our personal handheld devices can easily replace our desktops and laptops. I'm sure some devices out right now are more powerful than any ipad, and you already have people arguing the ipad replaces their PCs. There is niche markets and there are mass consumer and business markets that don't require high-end specs. Running word documents, email, web, spreadsheets and simple apps is the most a lot of people need. Its easily conceivable that our handhelds will replace PCs and I'm sure for many they've already taken on a good portion of the workload. Why buy your employees a company computer when all they need is a personal handheld. Why buy a PC when all you need is a personal mobile device.

We've already seen a droid make an attempt at this. It was a disaster/DOA (seems like a correct use of those terms). Its just a matter of time before some company pulls it off.

The thing thats really needed is a good system for once people get back to their desk and are not longer mobile, to see their info on a larger screen in their workplace. Looks like RIMs already got a patent on something.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-09-13 05:47 PM
    ^^^ "Disaster?" That's putting it nicely. It was horribly conceived and horribly implemented. Moto (IIRC) was the wrong OEM to try it.

Now, if BBRY can harness BB10, that could be the anchor, but it needs to come correct. Someone is gonna try to do it again... why not BBRY?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-09-13 05:51 PM
    for niche markets people may require something with more powerful hardware. As we seen with the ipad, a seriously lacking device, our personal handheld devices can easily replace our desktops and laptops. I'm sure some devices out right now are more powerful than any ipad, and you already have people arguing the ipad replaces their PCs. There is niche markets and there are mass consumer and business markets that don't require high-end specs. Running word documents, email, web, spreadsheets and simple apps is the most a lot of people need. Its easily conceivable that our handhelds will replace PCs and I'm sure for many they've already taken on a good portion of the workload. Why buy your employees a company computer when all they need is a personal handheld. Why buy a PC when all you need is a personal mobile device.

We've already seen a droid make an attempt at this. It was a disaster/DOA (seems like a correct use of those terms). Its just a matter of time before some company pulls it off.

The thing thats really needed is a good system for once people get back to their desk and are not longer mobile, to see their info on a larger screen in their workplace. Looks like RIMs already got a patent on something.
    That's how I see it. There are lots of homes out there with old desktop computers and old phones, not even smartphones. If Blackberry could show a Z10 in a docking station satisfying the average home computer user AND give them a great phone that could be massive. I just have to look at my brother who has been using an 8 year old Dell running at 1GHz with 500 Mb RAM. I gave him my 5 year old LG running at 1.8 GHz with 3 G RAM and he is really happy with it. All he does is answer emails, check some forums and watch videos. The Z10 might have enough power to do this. The docking station would have to have all your normal computer ports. I wonder how the Z10 would connect to it? You would have to have some kind of high speed connection.
    02-09-13 09:53 PM
    ^^^ "Disaster?" That's putting it nicely. It was horribly conceived and horribly implemented. Moto (IIRC) was the wrong OEM to try it.

Now, if BBRY can harness BB10, that could be the anchor, but it needs to come correct. Someone is gonna try to do it again... why not BBRY?
    BBRY needs to have USB OTG before this is to ever occur. Second, the Z10 hardware isn't there yet. Perhaps the Aristo would have enough oomf.

I have the Moto Atrix/Lapdock combo (and I'm keeping it because it's the first of its kind ) and it actually worked fairly well, despite being underpowered. I was able to hook up external hard drives, do spreadsheets, use my BT mouse, and for all intense and purposes I used it as a laptop (heck, I even hooked up a PS3 controller and played Super Mario Bros). The nice thing was, it never mirrored my phone. It had its own interface and software to make it seem more like a laptop. However, all the extra goodies ate up pretty much all the RAM on the phone (only 1GB), which lowered it's performance.

I still love the concept, and really hope to see someone come up with a new spin on it with much better hardware than its predecessor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    02-09-13 10:15 PM
    BBRY needs to have USB OTG before this is to ever occur. Second, the Z10 hardware isn't there yet. Perhaps the Aristo would have enough oomf.

I have the Moto Atrix/Lapdock combo (and I'm keeping it because it's the first of its kind ) and it actually worked fairly well, despite being underpowered. I was able to hook up external hard drives, do spreadsheets, use my BT mouse, and for all intense and purposes I used it as a laptop (heck, I even hooked up a PS3 controller and played Super Mario Bros). The nice thing was, it never mirrored my phone. It had its own interface and software to make it seem more like a laptop. However, all the extra goodies ate up pretty much all the RAM on the phone (only 1GB), which lowered it's performance.

I still love the concept, and really hope to see someone come up with a new spin on it with much better hardware than its predecessor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    My gripe with the dock was the pricing LOL. Cmon, Moto. C'mon.
    02-09-13 10:56 PM
    Seems like Mr. Heins has been eating too much of that special ketchup.... not gonna happen anytime soon.
    02-09-13 11:37 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    i don't understimate Heins and the "new" Blackberry at all! .. they are on the right path now .. and its very innovative and exciting !!!! BB Z10 and Z10 is just the beginning!!
    BThunderW likes this.
    02-10-13 12:20 AM
    My gripe with the dock was the pricing LOL. Cmon, Moto. C'mon.
    Lol..Ya it was bad. It should've been priced at the $150 mark, not $400.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-10-13 10:19 AM
    Heins better make my Z10 being able to do two alarms. Then we can start talking about replacing my mac.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    bquinney likes this.
    02-10-13 10:35 AM
    Doubtful...Autodesk's design software will not run on this, at least not well for me and some others. I have 26GB RAM and a higher end graphics card.
    02-10-13 11:08 AM
    I seriously have a chuckle whenever someone posts something like this. BlackBerry, like every other company caters to 90% first, then the niche market (if ever) later. If the Z10 can do VDI for what MOST people do on their computers, I think we have a winner.

You can't please everyone, and it's a lost cause trying.

Doubtful...Autodesk's design software will not run on this, at least not well for me and some others. I have 26GB RAM and a higher end graphics card.
    dtsolov likes this.
    02-10-13 11:28 AM
    I seriously have a chuckle whenever someone posts something like this. BlackBerry, like every other company caters to 90% first, then the niche market (if ever) later. If the Z10 can do VDI for what MOST people do on their computers, I think we have a winner.

You can't please everyone, and it's a lost cause trying.

Correct. Some computers may not run what the other computers with better specs can. Does not make them calculators.

But still want multiple alarms. He he he) )

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 11:45 AM
    Bert106 made a nice video of the z10 with an external monitor and mouse & keyboard hooked up
    original thread :http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post7950927
    gordo51 likes this.
    02-10-13 03:44 PM
    02-10-13 04:00 PM
    ^^^ last_attempt, thanks for posting that vid.

This is exactly what I was doing with my PB this last week while my desktop was out of commission.

I love the part of the video where Bert minimizes the game and lets it load in the background while he shows us the keyboard. : D In my experience with iOS and Android, neither of them do this, and would put the game in "suspension" as soon as it was minimized in favour of the keyboard (please correct me if I am wrong current/former iOS/Android users).
    02-10-13 04:09 PM
    That's going a little too far to say it will replace a desktop! No smart phone can ever replace a desktop IMO!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 04:12 PM
    This is weird discussion, that the Z10 will not be able to outperform a PC. Of course it will not as it has a completely different power envelope.
    However, the performance of the Z10 is roughly as your PC was 2002, and you could run word processing program on it and a few games that were cool back then. This is basically where the Z10 is and I think that making your cell phone a desktop is basically the next step in the evolution.

Today, at work I sit with a laptop on a docking station and 10 years ago this would be unthinkable as laptops were too far behind the stationary desktops in performance. Now, the laptops are fast enough for most workstation use and that's why many companies buy laptops instead. In the future, the laptop will shrink and the size will become closer to something you can put in your pocket.

In practice you can run most office applications with a Z10 but they don't exist for it. Actually, Google docs could in theory work on Z10 (don't know the speed here) and there you go.
    02-10-13 04:20 PM
    That's going a little too far to say it will replace a desktop! No smart phone can ever replace a desktop IMO!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 04:40 PM
142 ... 3456