From a consumer stand point/student user and to be able to transfer files from a phone to a harddrive/flash drive/camera without a computer on the go, i would've have taught USB on the go would've been supported from the get go since Heins emphasised mobile computing. But i guess thats what the dock is for.. Rather bulky though.
    02-08-13 02:03 AM
    good luck with that. I run tons of legacy windows apps at work. I doubt those will ever run on blackberry 10.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    With a Citrix client on the Z10 and a Citrix server you can have a Windows desktop.
    convenor likes this.
    02-08-13 07:50 AM
    I'm a consultant, software developer, analyst. I have my own company. I work (and worked) for some rather large companies, many of which you probably know.

BThunderW,

What exactly do you do for a living? What company?
    02-08-13 07:59 AM
    Thank goodness thorsten didn't actually say that the z10 is going to replace a desktop computer. That's too bold of a statement to make right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    02-08-13 08:02 AM
    Surely we need to stone Heins as a witch because he speaks in tongues Just because a room full of executive management looks like a Radio Shack salesperson when you ask them a technical question when Heins talks about mobile computing possibilities, it doesn't mean that it's impossible or so far in the future that it's incomprehensible.

I have no doubt that the mobile phone can be your "thin client" or stone age "terminal". I'm assuming that not too many people here have heard of VDI or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure. Take a couple of minutes and have a look at Desktop virtualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This isn't your father's PC Anywhere being run over a 1200 baud modem.

VDI or the better buzzword phrase "Desktop as a Sevice" requires serious infrastructure and bandwidth that is not only possible but where I work, we are working on it for student labs. Along with VDI, we're creating our own "private cloud" where user Virtual Machines (VMs) will follow our users wherever they go. We are also looking at this for employees. Does "mobile computing" ring any bells now? That said, the 5,000 beefy PCs we have are no longer needed; just cheap thin clients for the presentation layer. You need a keyboard, mouse, display and VDI client software. If the BB10 (Z10 even) can run this (and it shouldn't be a problem), your mobile phone is your desktop. Now, that said, bandwidth absolutely is an issue and there needs to be some testing and tuning with LTE but it may be quick enough. It's not so futuristic that it isn't not possible. It's probably working in a few research environments now.

Now if Blackberry decided to stand up their own branded "Desktop as a Service" cloud service for business instead of simple file storage and web-based applications like Microsoft and Google, does mobile computing start to become possible? I'm not saying this is how Blackberry is thinking but it is absolutely possible and, oddly enough, they don't have a cloud service yet. They must seriously be in the stone ages, right? Or are they thinking differently. Tablets are a given but what if their QNX car systems were also a thin client to this "Desktop as a service' cloud solution?

So, as I said in a previous thread, if the BB10 docking station will do 1920 x 1080 resolution and not be limited to the screen size of the Z10 device (1280x786), I can get rid of my laptop. Literally today.

The future is in a minute... And now it's history.
    BThunderW and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-08-13 08:03 AM
    With a Citrix client on the Z10 and a Citrix server you can have a Windows desktop.
    Which is great (since it's basically the only option) for when you're away from your desk.
    But the best option when sitting at your desk would always be a desktop.

Let's look at it another way...
    Let's say that remote technology has advanced enough that there is no need for a full desktop computer any more (pipe dream, but bear with me)
    Then let's say that a site did decide to go entirely virtual or remote.
    Server cost is a wipe, as are peripheral costs (would be slightly more for bluetooth, but just ignore that.)
    So the price difference you're looking at is between a thin client and a smartphone.

A phone costs 2-3x what a thin client would cost. And that's for something purchesed from a reputable vendor.
    Heck, if you wanted to hobble something together for a smaller company, you could outfit them all with $50 ARM sticks.

The cost difference just doesn't make sense.

What I think Thor was actually talking about (as someone already alluded to this above) was more of an effort to place BB10 in alternative devices.
    HP already uses WebOS for their thin clients, so it's not a long shot to think that BB10 could be used for this as well.
    02-08-13 08:16 AM
    I'm a consultant, software developer, analyst. I have my own company. I work (and worked) for some rather large companies, many of which you probably know.
    Do you have a website? I'm always interested in seeing what other developers do, especially when they've got a closet full of hardware like that
    02-08-13 08:18 AM
    Just my blog Altered Realms | Tom's Brain Dump

Few projects I'm working on for myself until A.D.D. kicks in and I move onto something else (sorry OP if this is off topic)
    UltraDMM
    Classic Game Servers
    Anonymous Image & Video Sharing (BETA)

Do you have a website? I'm always interested in seeing what other developers do, especially when they've got a closet full of hardware like that
    mikeo007 and Bumble2000 like this.
    02-08-13 08:44 AM
    The R710s are dirt cheap nowadays. **** I'm running 4 of them at home. Each with with at least 96GB of RAM, 2x Quad Core HT CPUs.

http://www.alteredrealms.com/wp-cont...0/rackedup.jpg
    Nice picture....taken with the Z?
    02-08-13 08:45 AM
    No, that's an old pic from last year. I wish I had a Z back then

Nice picture....taken with the Z?
    02-08-13 08:48 AM
    I can't find it again today but earlier I read an interview with Thorsten on Reuters in which he said the Z10 will have a docking station to which you will connect a keyboard, mouse and screen. It will replace your desktop computer and laptop. That is kind of mind bogling if it can do that. Anyone else see this?
    First off, what he described has already been around well over a year already. There are numurous Youtube videos showing just that, using various Android devices. Second of all, I really don't see how a device which does NOT support USB OTG (thus being able to plug in external hard drives) has any chance of "replacing" a computer or a laptop.

EDIT: Here's one video http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=9nh2NSLgaII
    02-08-13 09:03 AM
    First off, what he described has already been around well over a year already. There are numurous Youtube videos showing just that, using various Android devices. Second of all, I really don't see how a device which does NOT support USB OTG (thus being able to plug in external hard drives) has any chance of "replacing" a computer or a laptop.
    All depends on what type of work your doing again if you are just accessing and editing files housed on a server, answering emails, and managing calendar events probably would work for you. Typically my work that is all you would need because almost all of it is hands on inspection work and report writing with adding photos to the report. There would be limitations but I could get around most of them. But while I'm in my office to do the admin of the company server I would probably break my phone on purpose to force the company to buy me a desktop.

But really I think Heins is talking way more in the future, like TAT & QNX videos post here, the more powerful mobile becomes they could eventually take over desktops but won't be happening anytime soon or later.
    02-08-13 09:10 AM
    Surely we need to stone Heins as a witch because he speaks in tongues Just because a room full of executive management looks like a Radio Shack salesperson when you ask them a technical question when Heins talks about mobile computing possibilities, it doesn't mean that it's impossible or so far in the future that it's incomprehensible.

I have no doubt that the mobile phone can be your "thin client" or stone age "terminal". I'm assuming that not too many people here have heard of VDI or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure. Take a couple of minutes and have a look at Desktop virtualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This isn't your father's PC Anywhere being run over a 1200 baud modem.

VDI or the better buzzword phrase "Desktop as a Sevice" requires serious infrastructure and bandwidth that is not only possible but where I work, we are working on it for student labs. Along with VDI, we're creating our own "private cloud" where user Virtual Machines (VMs) will follow our users wherever they go. We are also looking at this for employees. Does "mobile computing" ring any bells now? That said, the 5,000 beefy PCs we have are no longer needed; just cheap thin clients for the presentation layer. You need a keyboard, mouse, display and VDI client software. If the BB10 (Z10 even) can run this (and it shouldn't be a problem), your mobile phone is your desktop. Now, that said, bandwidth absolutely is an issue and there needs to be some testing and tuning with LTE but it may be quick enough. It's not so futuristic that it isn't not possible. It's probably working in a few research environments now.

Now if Blackberry decided to stand up their own branded "Desktop as a Service" cloud service for business instead of simple file storage and web-based applications like Microsoft and Google, does mobile computing start to become possible? I'm not saying this is how Blackberry is thinking but it is absolutely possible and, oddly enough, they don't have a cloud service yet. They must seriously be in the stone ages, right? Or are they thinking differently. Tablets are a given but what if their QNX car systems were also a thin client to this "Desktop as a service' cloud solution?

So, as I said in a previous thread, if the BB10 docking station will do 1920 x 1080 resolution and not be limited to the screen size of the Z10 device (1280x786), I can get rid of my laptop. Literally today.

The future is in a minute... And now it's history.

Hmmm....could BB's buddy buddy with Cisco be more than a coincidence, makes one wonder.
    02-08-13 09:11 AM
    That's definitely the direction to go and BlackBerry cannot afford to miss is. Check out Ubuntu for Android and guess what will be the killer feature of the Ubuntu phones coming out late this year. It's already been there. And it's been discussed in a different context here as well.

In general, huge new inventions does not seem to be what makes a (mobile) company successful. Have a look at Apple. They do not really invent stuff, they perfect it. Check out this CB thread. There's a nice video.

Or take the Q10's "Type and Go" feature. It's actually just doing what KDE's Krunner has been providing for some time now, which in turn is perfecting Mac OS X's Spotlight ...

However, BlackBerry does not have the market power of Apple. They cannot afford to wait and see if people are interested in a certain function / feature. They need to serve early adopters. They know this for sure, they do try to deliver ahead of competition (e.g., NFC payment) and they will continue to invest in developing features that seem far off at the time the public hears of them for the first time. Not everything will be a success, but I am sure that the seamless switch between different shells will be give BlackBerry a leap over the competition (if executed well and in time).
    02-08-13 09:51 AM
    Heins talked about the Internet of Things at the launch. Interesting that CISCO used the same concept term at the Cisco Live event in London that same day:
    url Cisco prepares application platform for Internet of Things - Techworld.com

Cisco Commercial "The Internet of Everything"
    url Cisco Commercial | Tomorrow Starts Here (:60) - YouTube

Hmmm...

When Cisco wanted to start developing their next generation software platform, they turned to QNX� Software Systems. Today the QNX Neutrino� RTOS is at the heart of Cisco�s Modular IOS and IOS-XR software, and powers many Cisco products including the Cisco CRS-1, the world�s highest capacity router.
    [url http://www.qnx.com/company/customer_stories/][/quote][/quote]
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-08-13 10:21 AM
    How Blackberry Can Win (Big) In The Mobile World:
    How Blackberry Can Win (Big) In The Mobile World in [Market-Ticker]
    THBW, Chaddface, asherwiin and 1 others like this.
    02-08-13 10:23 AM
    A phone costs 2-3x what a thin client would cost. And that's for something purchesed from a reputable vendor.
    Heck, if you wanted to hobble something together for a smaller company, you could outfit them all with $50 ARM sticks.

The cost difference just doesn't make sense.
    Right but if a company issues a phone, and it can also be used as a thin client via a dock at the desk, then they are saving money by not having to buy the client if they were going to buy the phone anyway. Their are some jobs and functions that a phone will never be able to replace, but not everyone is doing high end computing functions either. A large part of the business community only do simple things like spreadsheets, documents, project tracking, e-mail, etc. could easily be handled by a phone like the Z10 if the software was there for it.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-08-13 10:34 AM
    Right but if a company issues a phone, and it can also be used as a thin client via a dock at the desk, then they are saving money by not having to buy the client if they were going to buy the phone anyway. Their are some jobs and functions that a phone will never be able to replace, but not everyone is doing high end computing functions either. A large part of the business community only do simple things like spreadsheets, documents, project tracking, e-mail, etc. could easily be handled by a phone like the Z10 if the software was there for it.
    Only a tiny percentage of employees are issued company phones. Having a completely foreign setup for these few employees would offer negligible (if any) cost savings.
    02-08-13 10:39 AM
    How Blackberry Can Win (Big) In The Mobile World:
    How Blackberry Can Win (Big) In The Mobile World in [Market-Ticker]
    Enjoyed the read and really enjoyed his writing style...thanks!
    THBW and BBigDogs like this.
    02-08-13 11:01 AM
    I can't find it again today but earlier I read an interview with Thorsten on Reuters in which he said the Z10 will have a docking station to which you will connect a keyboard, mouse and screen. It will replace your desktop computer and laptop. That is kind of mind bogling if it can do that. Anyone else see this?
    I raised this scenario for the BlackBerry PlasyBook many moons ago so maybe we will see it come to fruition with the BlackBerry Z10. The docking station needs to support Bluetooth dongles as well as traditional Bluetooth interface to ensure the broadest spectrum of keyboards, mice, and other input devices.
    02-08-13 03:48 PM
    I work extensively with VMWare/Hyper-V and RDP. I have entire development environments set up that I run remotely on a screen 2560x1600 and more often than not I can't even tell that I'm working on a remote workstation. This is running Visual Studio and the complete suite of tools, debuggers, SQL clients etc. For most people this would be more than sufficient if they're operating Office or desktop apps.
    BThunderW with that beard you must come from the days of Unix.
    02-08-13 03:52 PM
    The R710s are dirt cheap nowadays. **** I'm running 4 of them at home. Each with with at least 96GB of RAM, 2x Quad Core HT CPUs.

http://www.alteredrealms.com/wp-cont...0/rackedup.jpg
    Okay, you officially earned the title of "The Most High Geek of BlackBerry Users". We bow to your home-work environment.
    02-08-13 04:00 PM
    Even the old suits, who have no idea how a computer does it magic were thinking: yeah...we heard that before....oooh it's a "computer" you say?? Whooo.....
    I heard the voice of Montgomery Burns as I read your words.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-08-13 04:04 PM
    Has anyone tried out the mouse/keyboard BT support with the Z10? I'm assuming there is no dual screen support?
    02-08-13 04:05 PM
    BThunderW,

What exactly do you do for a living? What company?
    If you have to ask, you will sleep better at night not knowing the truth. ROFLMAO. I imagine him working for the NSA from his underground bunker at home.
    02-08-13 04:08 PM
142 12345 ...