There's a cluster of two R710s collectively running about 30-35 VMs. Prod and Dev.

Are you the only user on the server?
    02-07-13 10:40 PM
    I wonder if Heins said that the developers were "committed" to replacing your desktop and laptop?
    richardat likes this.
    02-07-13 10:43 PM
    How about About the OnLive Game Service

You can even play graphically intensive games purely through a thin client as all the rendering is done remotely.
    If anything, Onlive is a perfect example of why this technology isn't near ready yet. The service was cited as often being unreliable, and the latency and visual artifacts often made it impossible to have an enjoyable gaming experience.
    02-07-13 10:44 PM
    Maybe basic was the wrong word. Tasks that don't require a lot of UI interaction would be more accurate.
    I have no issues with backend performance and actual computing over remote. It's the actual interface that drives me crazy.
    Gotcha.

Even with that said, I haven't found the UI interaction to be bad at all for the things I do. It is on par with my laptop.

To each his own I guess.
    02-07-13 10:45 PM
    Gotcha.

Even with that said, I haven't found the UI interaction to be bad at all for the things I do. It is on par with my laptop.

To each his own I guess.
    Well, like I said, I've received multiple complaints daily since switching users over to thin clients.
    And I can see why they're complaining. If I don't need to access one of the management consoles or hyperterminal, I stay out of the virtualized environment.

But I guess everyone has different expectations.
    02-07-13 10:48 PM
    There's a cluster of two R710s collectively running about 30-35 VMs. Prod and Dev.
    See that's what I mean. We're looking at a somewhat similar solution, but like I said earlier, we can't justify the costs compared to just using desktop PCs. Sure the management of the systems is a dream using VMs, but the experience still isn't the best and the costs are so high.
    richardat likes this.
    02-07-13 10:50 PM
    Yes, but this is an extreme example. We don't need gaming level latency and 60 fps to work remotely.

If anything, Onlive is a perfect example of why this technology isn't near ready yet. The service was cited as often being unreliable, and the latency and visual artifacts often made it impossible to have an enjoyable gaming experience.
    02-07-13 10:50 PM
    The R710s are dirt cheap nowadays. **** I'm running 4 of them at home. Each with with at least 96GB of RAM, 2x Quad Core HT CPUs.

See that's what I mean. We're looking at a somewhat similar solution, but like I said earlier, we can't justify the costs compared to just using desktop PCs. Sure the management of the systems is a dream using VMs, but the experience still isn't the best and the costs are so high.
    02-07-13 10:51 PM
    Yes, but this is an extreme example. We don't need gaming level latency and 60 fps to work remotely.
    Maybe "you" don't need that, but I have many users that have requirements close to that level of performance.
    02-07-13 10:54 PM
    All, smartphones are getting faster and faster. Eventually this will happen.
    yes. but that type of thing is further out than the things blackberry needs to tackle.
    1. win back handset share.
    2. get a competitive tablet out.
    3. leverage the qnx installed base by striking partnerships with car makers to provide connected services.
    4. something else...

... and then somewhere down the list is taking on microsoft and apple in the pc/laptop space.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    02-07-13 10:55 PM
    Have you used Citrix or RDP before? It is a terrible experience for anything but basic tasks. I would never choose to use a remote application for anything that I could use an actual desktop or laptop.

Remote will never be a reasonable replacement until we get network transport speeds that are similar to internal computer bus speeds.
    I use VNC on our LAN at work to access various PCs. I agree. it is simply not the same, even though its quite fast.

02-07-13 11:00 PM
    All, smartphones are getting faster and faster. Eventually this will happen.
    Yes, I think it's quite likely. However, when he says that now, I just laugh it off/tune it out as pie-sky silly speak. If he had concrete plans lay them out, otherwise...well every futurist/tech journalist, blogger says stuff like this. Saw him saying it at a presentation for old suit fogeys the other day, and it didn't even appear to go over well there. There was an awkward pause....then a very muted polite applause. He reemphasized it later, and got nothing. Even the old suits, who have no idea how a computer does it magic were thinking: yeah...we heard that before....oooh it's a "computer" you say?? Whooo.....

But seriously, I've known some people trying to use iphones as....well lets say netbooks....for...YEARS now. At first, I think it was pretty freaking poor....now it's.....somewhat feasible. As for the assertions here about dumb terminals etc.....uh...yeah....there is a reason these things went extinct in most areas....still, I think it's good to explore possibilities, but: 1.we are a long ways from that (in tech time) 2.there are some real drawbacks to such a system. If there are real plans for it though, I'd love to see them.
    02-07-13 11:00 PM
    Html5 apps... webgl... The future is web rendered in all its glory on bb10. Don't need a think client for that. Mind you I really want my qde running on bb10 so I can code anywhere anytime.
    02-07-13 11:04 PM
    yes. but that type of thing is further out than the things blackberry needs to tackle.
    1. win back handset share.
    2. get a competitive tablet out.
    3. leverage the qnx installed base by striking partnerships with car makers to provide connected services.
    4. something else...

... and then somewhere down the list is taking on microsoft and apple in the pc/laptop space.

Agreed. I think this is just Heins doing silly future-speak, sell a dream, make vague-allegations/insinuations about how far "ahead" we are, and how we "are" the future.....etc. -w hich is standard CEO presentation speak, and I'm sure there are 3 people at RIM who write reports about such things. Much more pressing immediately problems to actually work on though!
    02-07-13 11:05 PM
    Html5 apps... webgl... The future is web rendered in all its glory on bb10. Don't need a think client for that. Mind you I really want my qde running on bb10 so I can code anywhere anytime.
    I think you may be missing the point here...
    02-07-13 11:05 PM
    Have a look at youtube vid with Citrix receiver using playbook, it is like using PC on PB. just connect ur pb to Virtual Windows machine..
    02-07-13 11:09 PM
    I think this thread is missing the quote from which it was born.

BlackBerryOS.com - Docking Station For The Z10 Coming Soon, New Tablet In The Works For BlackBerry

This ambition to innovate mobile computing is just what Heins is looking to do. Going beyond just the smartphone and into to the realms of true mobile computing based on the BlackBerry 10 platform, is the new goal for BlackBerry.

The company is already planning on acting out on its innovation with some new components to its new Z10 smartphone. The device will soon have a docking station that will allow users to plug in peripherals like a keyboard and mouse. This would allow for the BlackBerry 10 OS to transition into a desktop OS.

"The vision is going to start to materialize this year," he said. "You will be able to plug the (Z10) device into a docking station at the office and then all you need is a keyboard, a mouse and a screen. Combined with cloud services this would mean you don't need a laptop or a desktop." said BlackBerry's head of marketing Frank Boulben.

The company is also looking to revamp its efforts to deliver a tablet. BlackBerry is not giving up on the tablet business, in fact the company is already working on another one. "I'm not getting out of the tablet business, I've asked my teams to build another one, but I need to make money from it. If the hardware doesn't provide the margins I need, then it makes no sense in doing it," said Heins
    Wino Ryder likes this.
    02-07-13 11:23 PM
    BThunderW,

What exactly do you do for a living? What company?
    02-07-13 11:36 PM
    Heins should stick to selling phones for now. Lets see if he can do that.
    02-07-13 11:36 PM
    was he saying the Z10 or BB10 there is a big difference

remember, the Z10 is THE STARTING LINE for bb10
    02-07-13 11:40 PM
    So is our current data transmission infrastructure even capable of handling all the data needed if everyone goes "cloud computing"?
    02-07-13 11:44 PM
    Interesting thread...enjoying this one!
    02-08-13 12:08 AM
    Have a look at youtube vid with Citrix receiver using playbook, it is like using PC on PB. just connect ur pb to Virtual Windows machine..
    It's going to be pretty laggy.....
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-08-13 12:11 AM
    Just a thought; It should be easier today and in the furture to shift from a mobile platform/OS, to an office/home based PC OS. Then it has been in years past to go from PC OS to mobile OS. UI elements allow for it. Plus we don't need everything that comes today with a PC. We need somethings here and somethings there. Why pay for unused multiplication.
    02-08-13 01:36 AM
    I'm forced to agree with Mike007 here. (How did that happen?!) Thin clients are, well, just plain awful. Oh, and how wasteful! That's to say nothing about the philosophical problems with the dystopian vision of computing-as-a-service that companies like Microsoft dream about.

Granted, we do seem to be moving toward an era where your mobile becomes your workstation. Phones today are at least on par with (and often well above) later netbook models. Connecting a keyboard, mouse, and display to a phone to get a desktop-like experience surely isn't outside the realm of possibility. (Think back to 2006. What did a high-end desktop look like? What are we doing with desktops now that we weren't doing then?)

I've been saying that for years, long before RIM killed the PDA market. I highly doubt I'm the first, and I know that I'm not the last. It's not too difficult to see your tablet becoming little more than a battery and display. It's even easier to see your tablet become your notebook. (We're doing that now!) Why is it so difficult to imagine, then, your phone becoming your laptop? Is it such a leap to then imagine how it could become your desktop?

It's not the technology that's holding us back. We're there. That said, I'd hate to see today's mobile OS's power that vision; not even BB10. Mobile operating systems are just far too closed-off. (I blame Apple for that nasty trend. We wouldn't have put up with that nonsense from any other company, now it's standard across the board.) Maybe if there was a standard app package and API so that apps could be shared across platforms and distribution wasn't limited to a particular vendor's app store, it could meaningfully change computing. In a world filled with a loose collection of closed and otherwise locked-down platforms, however, and that dream quickly turns in to a nightmare. I'm not asking for an RMS level of freedom, I'm only asking for as much as we've had with desktops in the past. Any less is tyranny.
    David in Durham and richardat like this.
    02-08-13 01:43 AM
142 1234 ...