There is just so much truth to this.....There is a complete utter disregard for security, certainly in the consumer mindset. This is causing great concerns for IT administrators. A definite ticking time bomb.

Heins Says “Wait for First Big Security Flaw” For Enterprise Market to Turn Back to BlackBerry - BerryReview
    01-30-12 03:58 PM
    I disagree. Security is always the number one concern for any corporation, which is why their Exchange environment is most likely behind firewalls and NIDS.
    01-30-12 04:06 PM
    I disagree. Security is always the number one concern for any corporation, which is why their Exchange environment is most likely behind firewalls and NIDS.
    I am referring to how byod is a ticking time bomb for the enterprise. The major threats that we fail to realize to the enterprise are from those talented enough to bring down satellites etc...BES is the best current defense against these threats. Currently there is a trend where the byod movement is holding the upper hand in certain organizations over IT administrators. All is takes is a major security breach, for the pendulum to swing back in RIM's favor
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-30-12 at 04:23 PM.
    01-30-12 04:12 PM
    I am referring to how byod is a ticking time bomb for the enterprise.
    It's been ticking for a while now, so long that people are starting to think the bomb might be a dud. At any rate, one way to not inspire investor confidence is to tell people that you'll reclaim your place in enterprise, not after you release better devices, but rather after a catastrophic IT event.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    01-30-12 04:25 PM
    It's been ticking for a while now, so long that people are starting to think the bomb might be a dud. At any rate, one way to not inspire investor confidence is to tell people that you'll reclaim your place in enterprise, not after you release better devices, but rather after a catastrophic IT event.
    They can't be doing both? Look up "false dichotomy".

Even the same article says they are recapturing the consumerization trend with BB10 while at the same time preparing for a cataclysmic IT event on iOS/Android devices.
    01-30-12 04:33 PM
    When the collective mindset perceives the threat as a dud...This is where predators tend to pose the greatest threat. Hein's is referring to concerns of CIO's that see looming threats. CIO's are the insiders after all We unfortunately only need to look at examples throughout history to see this as the case. Sad but true.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-30-12 at 04:40 PM.
    01-30-12 04:34 PM
    There is just so much truth to this.....There is a complete utter disregard for security, certainly in the consumer mindset. This is causing great concerns for IT administrators. A definite ticking time bomb.

Heins Says “Wait for First Big Security Flaw” For Enterprise Market to Turn Back to BlackBerry - BerryReview
    Both Android and Apple have tighten security on their devices with each new OS version as well as allowed for more control for IT administrators. I agree that BB is the best at Security and that RIM needs to do more to promote the Security that their devices provide for Enterprise and Consumers. But don't be fooled into believing that Apple and Android are not working towards devices that are more Enterprise friendly.
    01-30-12 04:39 PM
    Both Android and Apple have tighten security on their devices with each new OS version as well as allowed for more control for IT administrators. I agree that BB is the best at Security and that RIM needs to do more to promote the Security that their devices provide for Enterprise and Consumers. But don't be fooled into believing that Apple and Android are not working towards devices that are more Enterprise friendly.
    I'm inclined to agree. I'd say it's also poor strategy to count on your rivals' failure. That's the kind of hubris that got RIM to where it is now.

I can live with the odd verbal miscue, but I hope he wasn't serious.
    01-30-12 04:50 PM
    There is no turning back from BYOD. Security enhancements will only increase as Apple/Google release new OSes. There is money to be had. How many CEOs, CIOs, CTOs and CFOs have Macs and iPhones beside a Corporate Blackberry. If you work in the field you would know they are issued Blackberries but they buy iPhone/Android. The devices are just more consumer friendly.

You will soon be protected by Android:
    The Army to stamp its approval on Android by year-end, iOS devices still need security clearance

Pentagon approves Android device for Department of Defense, Apple still awaits clearance

Samsung Galaxy Devices Get Important Security Clearance
    Last edited by sinsin07; 01-30-12 at 05:10 PM.
    01-30-12 04:55 PM
    This is the topic of much debate, and the result of a multitude of very lengthy threads on CB, so I'll stick the the original post. Hein's is referring to conversations with CIO's. So unless anyone here is a CIO, I'll hold back to threads with the above as the primary topic.
    01-30-12 04:56 PM
    In a previous discussion about byod and enterprise - it was mentioned how most IT departments (often with few IT people) are forcing the employee's to manage their devices. Most people cant even find their car keys in the morning much less manage their cell phone at an enteprise level. One need look no further than the extent that malware runs rampant in the android OS to see that people are ridiculously careless.
    Kerrstar likes this.
    01-30-12 05:10 PM
    There is no turning back from BYOD. Security enhancements will only increase as Apple/Google release new OSes. There is money to be had. How many CEOs, CIOs, CTOs and CFOs have Macs and iPhones beside a Corporate Blackberry. If you work in the field you would know they are issued Blackberries but they buy iPhone/Android. The devices are just more consumer friendly.
    This is where Mobile Fusion should have a great opportunity to shine as well as other Enterprise offerings from RIM. There are a multitude of increased and decreased security concerns within a given organization. For example the CEO, requires a very different degree of security then a field technician within a given organization . This is an example of what Hein's and RIM are leaning towards.

RIM is adapting to this. Multiple OS management is something RIM has had is development for sometime....RIM doesn't need the entire pie, just a couple slices
    01-30-12 05:11 PM
    I've been saying that for a while now. What they need is a High Profile, well spread trojan/virus (most likely on Android) and Execs will be more likely to listen to their CIOs again. The amount of enterprise security breaches have been rapidly increasing over the last few years. The anual number of attacks doubled in 2009, and then again in 2010. Meanwhile 2011 made those years look small in camparison, with a huge increase of breaches (though accual amount of data lost accually went down)

I have heard it said that 2011 was "the year of the security breach".....I don't like that term because it implies that it was a one off....so far nothing I have seen indictates that 2012 will be better, infact everything is pointing towards an even worse year then 2011
    01-30-12 05:13 PM
    This is where Mobile Fusion should have a great opportunity to shine as well as other Enterprise offerings from RIM. There are a multitude of increased and decreased security concerns within a given organization. For example the CEO, requires a very different degree of security then a field technician within a given organization . This is an example of what Hein's and RIM are leaning towards.

RIM is adapting to this. Multiple OS management is something RIM has had is development for sometime....RIM doesn't need the entire pie, just a couple slices
    Serious enterprises have already been managing BB devices without RIM, it's called Boxtone. Also does Android and iOS.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-30-12 05:34 PM
    Serious enterprises have already been managing BB devices without RIM, it's called Boxtone. Also does Android and iOS.
    RIM is currently the only company that offers a fully integrated solution and beginning soon RIM 2.0 is going to release their next generation of Enterprise management solutions ...This is what RIM is pushing for the future. Boxtone is a competitor to a division of RIM...RIM has aligned to compete with Boxtone, Good etc. Should be an interesting next two years to see how these companies compete with RIM
    Kerrstar likes this.
    01-30-12 05:49 PM
    RIM is currently the only company that offers a fully integrated solution and beginning soon RIM 2.0 is going to release their next generation of Enterprise management solutions ...This is what RIM is pushing for the future. Boxtone is a competitor to a division of RIM...RIM has aligned to compete with Boxtone, Good etc. Should be an interesting next two years to see how these companies compete with RIM
    Boxtone is fully integrated. If their solutions only mimics Boxtone no sense is switching.
    01-30-12 06:41 PM
    Boxtone is fully integrated. If their solutions only mimics Boxtone no sense is switching.
    I was implying hardware, software, NOC...etc....Boxtone full integration is equal to only a division of RIM.
    01-30-12 06:48 PM
    I was implying hardware, software, NOC...etc....Boxtone full integration is equal to only a division of RIM.
    Boxtone only equals a division of RIM? So what? They had the foresight to see the future and are out now in the enterprise. RIM will need to win that piece of the puzzle back too.
    02-01-12 04:29 AM
    Ouch... I have to agree. Cant add to this at all, but its the truth.

"Just wait until everybody sees the mistake they have made, they will be sorry!" is an absolute terrible strategy... and assume it happens one day. What do you do when the competition fixes this issue and not only continues making higher-end products but rivals the security you offer? what then?

Personally I think the qnx phones are the move in the right direction. Go out and claim your market, dont sit and let the phone ring.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-01-12 05:10 AM

6 minutes... thats how long it takes to get into a fully patched, non jailbroken iPhone and copy the entire file system. From there, even if you have something like Good Mobile installed (with a secure container for your corporate data) it can simply be brute forced.

DoD STILL does not approve iOS devices for use, even with Good Mobile installed. NSA has shown time and time again that the security is laughable. Even android with Good installed is better.

Keep in mind Windows Mobile was approved many years ago with the use of Good Mobile. So Good Mobile on Windows Mobile 6 is actually more secure than on an iOS device...
    02-01-12 06:43 AM

LOL. Serious enterprises realize that iOS IS a significant threat. They just let their C-level execs do all the decision making rather than their IA/Infosec departments.
    02-01-12 06:45 AM
    . One need look no further than the extent that malware runs rampant in the android OS to see that people are ridiculously careless.
    The misconception that malware is rampant is hugely overplayed. I STILL have yet to meet anyone, or even read ONE SINGLE THREAD about someone who's Android was infected. I have, however, read many posts about Blackberry (largely due to JaredCo apps). All these "reports" about rampant malware are done by *drum roll* Anti-malware companies, who want your business. It's no different than someone coming to your door, and trying to sell you a security system and telling you there has been a "rash of break-ins lately", even though you or your neighbors know it's not true.
    02-01-12 08:01 AM
    02-01-12 08:11 AM
    hosted across different Russia-based third party app stores
    Delving into 3rd party app stores is never a good idea to begin with..

Between 30,000 and 120,000 Android devices may have been affected, Lookout said
    A security company..hmmm
    Lookout users are already protected.
    Big surprise

Except 3rd party security..

The list goes on and on and on. Mobile malware IS a threat. Android IS the hardest hit at this time. Are other platforms still being hit? Absolutely. But not to anywhere near the same degree.
    While i'm not downplaying the fact malicious apps ARE out there...I don't believe they are to the extent these "security" companies want us to believe.
    02-01-12 08:24 AM
    Delving into 3rd party app stores is never a good idea to begin with..

A security company..hmmm Big surprise

Except 3rd party security..

While i'm not downplaying the fact malicious apps ARE out there...I don't believe they are to the extent these "security" companies want us to believe.
    Most people pay no attention to the security of their device until its to late. Then blame everyone else, because nobody told them
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-01-12 08:33 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD